New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

ross.thomas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

Hey everybody, and especially Mac fans, I have a question for you guys. I'm wanting to invest in a Macbook that I can edit with for years to come. The reason I want the laptop is for portability, so the iMac is out of the question. I'll be working with Lightroom and Photoshop, doing basic editing all the way to medium level composites. In your opinion, would you invest in the 15 inch model, or the 13 inch model.

I'm leaning toward the 15 inch personally. Thanks.

May 21, 2015 at 04:34 PM
imeh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

i would go with the 15" version. You can get a dedicated vcard in the that model and it should be able to move LR and PS right along.

Also, they did just update both models with new features, so make sure you look at what your getting if you are buying from somewhere other than apple. wouldnt want to pay full price for an old model that they still had on their shelf.

May 21, 2015 at 06:25 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

I have the 15" & love it. Works great alongside my D810.

May 21, 2015 at 08:30 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

I used to have the 13" and always seemed to be too crunched for screen space. I bought the 15" about 6 months ago and love it. There's a big difference in screen size without much added weight. It also fits well in my camera backpack for airline travel.

May 21, 2015 at 08:35 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

Yeah I would definitely get the new one they released a few days ago.

May 21, 2015 at 09:52 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

Another vote for 15".

May 23, 2015 at 12:07 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

Anybody use the 15 inch macbook, with 16gb ram and at least a 2.4 processor for heavy photoshop and lightroom work simultaneously?

May 23, 2015 at 01:09 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

I have the mid 2014 MBP with the iris graphics. LR recognizes the GPU and uses it... I do real estate and use lrenfuse to do batches of exposure blending. lR will have as many as 30 to 40 operations going at a time (!). Of course this will make LR and/or any other software a bit sluggish, and the processor gets warm, and the fan really spins up, but the laptop wipes the floor speed wise compared to my 4 core pc with 8gigs of RAM.

I am currently in the process of transitioning to the lap top from my PC; so I have a very powerful and portable machine that has all the conveniences of a regular desktop machine such as external monitor, keyboard, storage, etc. For me it is the best of both worlds!

Paul

May 23, 2015 at 11:00 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

Paulthelefty wrote:
I have the mid 2014 MBP with the iris graphics. LR recognizes the GPU and uses it... I do real estate and use lrenfuse to do batches of exposure blending. lR will have as many as 30 to 40 operations going at a time (!). Of course this will make LR and/or any other software a bit sluggish, and the processor gets warm, and the fan really spins up, but the laptop wipes the floor speed wise compared to my 4 core pc with 8gigs of RAM.

I am currently in the process of transitioning to the lap top from my
...Show more

Thanks Paul, that's great to hear. The only reason I'm asking all this is because I currently use an Asus G750 with 24gb RAM, i7 2.4 processor, and its an awesome machine. I want to make sure the new Macbook Pro keeps up. Nothing like dropping $2700 and having the new computer be laggy lol.

May 23, 2015 at 11:25 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

I think the key is having a compatible GPU that Adobe can use... my desktop has an integrated GPU that does not work for enhanced PS or LR use, and the MBP does work with the GPU enhanced use. Faster, more features, etc. I would imagine a 24 gig i7 would work pretty fast...

Paul

May 23, 2015 at 11:18 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

I have heard that the GPU in the new Pro integrates pretty well with Lightroom.

May 23, 2015 at 11:56 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

Just a thought:

Depending on your budget and inclination, you could also consider getting two machines and the best of both power and portability: laptop and desktop.

It might cost a couple $$$ more initially, but it might end up cheaper in the long run.

You can build a terrifically powerful DIY desktop in an afternoon for <$1K. If you choose your parts wisely, you can install and run OS X on it. In the past I'd say going the hackintosh route required a lot of fiddling... but it's so easy/solid these days that as long as you plan for it going in the installation/maintenance process is barely an added effort. The ability to change RAM/SSD/GPU over the lifetime of the machine (say 3-5 years min, perhaps double that) can save you a lot of money as well as provide significantly more processing power and a better work environment for your really heavy lifting. I, for one, could never do my photo work purely on a laptop (for me photography and video work is... work).

Take the rest of your budget and grab a cheaper, smaller Mac laptop for basic, but not heavy lifting, work on the go. A base rMBP or even the rMB with little added configuration.

This has advantages:

- Your primary work space can be a larger, better quality, desktop monitor. A 27" IPS 1440p display can be had for $299 these days, and once calibrated will be great for serious photo work. If this is for serious work, professional or otherwise, using a 15 inch screen as the main screen is a big compromise (not only from work and calibration perspectives, but from health/posture/eyes perspectives as well).

- As GPUs become ever more important (see LR6 as the opening salvo), you can upgrade at minimal cost and keep your primary machine longer. Same goes for CPU upgrades, or overclocking, but CPU improvements on a pure power basis (as opposed to performance/watt) has slowed significantly in the last couple generations. Same goes for RAM, internal storage, etc.

- Your portable can be smaller, lighter.

- Lower end models-- talking about the portable/laptop-- tend to have better resale value vs. original purchase price. The premium you pay as you go up the laptop chain won't come through on the other end if you sell the machine-- buyers of older, used models tend to go for the basic models with stock configurations rather than pay a premium themselves for the specced out machine.

This has been the route I've gone down myself, and it was the best decision I ever made. My primary work machine is a 4.2ghz, 6-core Xeon desktop machine that I originally built in 2010 for <$1K (originally w/ a 4-core CPU @ 3.06 ghz, but I upgraded on the cheap), with 2x SSD, RAID video array, and three additional HDDs for photos/media internal. It's been going strong for 5 years now, and is still faster than all but the fastest Mac Pros (geekbench ~19-20K)... meaning it has years left before needing a total upgrade.

I also have one of the new retina Macbooks... all in/zero compromise on portability, all out/all compromise on power because I know that power is covered at home. When this overprices, underpowered, under-ported laptop gets a refresh in the next cycle-- I'll be able to sell it as a base model and replace it with the next model for a very, very minimal cost.

I am so, so far ahead power and portability and resale value wise today than if I had purchased a $3,000K top-of-the-line Macbook Pro in early 2010. And I have two machines (back up). And I do my work on a big, calibrated, ergonomically set up display. And over that period of time I've probably saved a lot of money when you take into consideration that I'd likely have had to buy a totally new Macbook Pro by now!

The short version: Definitely consider what your needs are and definitely consider the lifetime costs of those needs... there might be a better/cheaper way to get what you want by spending a little more now and saving a lot later.

May 24, 2015 at 12:40 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

justruss wrote:
Just a thought:

Depending on your budget and inclination, you could also consider getting two machines and the best of both power and portability: laptop and desktop.

It might cost a couple $$$ more initially, but it might end up cheaper in the long run.

You can build a terrifically powerful DIY desktop in an afternoon for <$1K. If you choose your parts wisely, you can install and run OS X on it. In the past I'd say going the hackintosh route required a lot of fiddling... but it's so easy/solid these days that as long as you plan for it going
...Show more

Thank you so much for your response. While I would like to have two machines, I only have enough for one at the moment. And I need the portability of the laptop. I don't think that I will be getting the ridiculously specked out version of the MacBook Pro, as the 2.5 processor should be more than enough for my needs. My goal is to have it last about four years, and I think it will. That is very interesting to learn about building your own Mac desktop, and I will definitely research that for the future. Do you think that the new 15 inch MacBook Pro Will work well enough for me doing medium range light room editing, as well as retouching in Photoshop and the occasional composite image?

May 24, 2015 at 01:11 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

No problem!

I'd be willing to be that any of the new Macbooks (save the retina Macbook 12 inch... which I just bought ) will do just fine with basic LR editing, PS, and a composite here and there.

You know it all comes down to time, money, and what you're working on. Is saving a second or two a big deal as previews update? Is saving 20%-40% of the batch output time (time you can use to do other things and be productive during anyway) really going to make or break your day?

If you're doing this for fun, or a job on the side... I'm going to bet the answer is a resounding No. If you're a professional with so much work that his processing time is cutting into his admin, shooting, and client-side time (which, frankly, is how many people on here... if they have time to be on here... not many!)-- the equation changes and spending big bucks for more oomph suddenly makes more sense.

May 24, 2015 at 08:25 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

justruss wrote:
No problem!

I'd be willing to be that any of the new Macbooks (save the retina Macbook 12 inch... which I just bought ) will do just fine with basic LR editing, PS, and a composite here and there.

You know it all comes down to time, money, and what you're working on. Is saving a second or two a big deal as previews update? Is saving 20%-40% of the batch output time (time you can use to do other things and be productive during anyway) really going to make or break your day?

If you're doing this for fun, or
...Show more

Thanks again for the detailed response. Photography is a side business for me. So an insane top of the line machine isn't what I need. Don't get me wrong, I want to start working with larger files, but from everything I've heard, the new 15 inch Retina Macbook Pro with 2.5ghz processor, 16gb RAM, new graphics card, and 512gb flash storage is more than enough. I'll be keeping all clients data on external drives, so I think 512gb should be enough for me (correct me if I'm wrong).

May 24, 2015 at 12:12 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

It's all down to personal needs/preferences really, but for a side-thing, I can't see how you'll go wrong. It's a nice screen, plenty of RAM (I'm still running 12GB on my 6-core desktop, and it's fine... though I'm working on 24-48GB if the price is right).

My understanding is that the "new" graphics card isn't all that new actually: New name, not particularly new hardware/instruction set. That said, I don't think it will matter. It will work just fine for your needs.

Storage sounds fine too.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the machine!

May 25, 2015 at 04:27 AM
eyal.ma
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

ross.thomas wrote:
the new 15 inch Retina Macbook Pro with 2.5ghz processor, 16gb RAM, new graphics card, and 512gb flash storage is more than enough. I'll be keeping all clients data on external drives, so I think 512gb should be enough for me (correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes it will be more than enough.
I have a similar 15 rMBP (only its late 2013). It is still going strong. 16GB is enough and if you keep most files on external storage, 512GB is also more than enough.

Note that the dedicated GPU is not being used most of the time while editing. Even with the new features of lightroom and some of the usage in photoshop, it doesn't fully utilize it. So don't expect the new dedicated GPU to give any enhanced performance over the old one.

But the new 15 also has the 13's pad which is a very nice one.

May 26, 2015 at 02:58 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

I have the late 2013 2.2GHz (Haswell-Crystalwell) with NVIDIA discrete graphics and Intel Iris (5100 I think). I note that the early 2015 refresh retains the Haswell architecture at a slightly higher clock while updating SSD speed (somewhat) and swapping out the NVIDIA discrete graphics parts for AMD units. I don't know how the older NVIDIA GT750 parts compare to the present AMD part, so you may want to research that before paying for the most updated system. I bought my late 2013 system in late 2014, and got it for $500 less than the mid 2014 system which was essentially identical but for an 0.1 GHz speed boost.

That said, I find the 2.2 GHz Crystalwell system to be quite adequate for the Photoshop work I do (I process D800 files, including multi-shot panos, and also do some illustration work on it). I also have a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 with a fast Broadwell chip and Iris 6100 graphics, and find that the performance differences between the systems are fairly modest in day-to-day use, though they certainly offer very different user and interface experiences.

May 26, 2015 at 04:58 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New 15 inch Macbook Pro Released vs 13 inch version

I would also opt for the 2 devices route. I currently have an XPS 15 (had a rMBP a year before that) and it's also 3,5Ghz i7 and 750M GPU, about 10 hours battery, and still sometimes I feel like I can benefit from a desktop (have an older Xeon machine at my disposal). When the new Surface Pro 4 comes out I will build a 4.5Ghz or more desktop and use the Surface on the go. The 3 already does well with lightroom (I will use the Surface for tethered capturing and general productivity)
Cost vs performance, you can get a lot more with 2 devices.
D800E and 80Mp MF files is my main workload btw.

May 26, 2015 at 11:10 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.