New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Buying a lens from Amazon

Deebo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buying a lens from Amazon

I'm looking to buy a Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 DC OS HSM but since they seem to be a bit harder to find (especially for the prices I've seen them go for in the Buy and Sell section), I may end up picking one up from Amazon. I noticed a few of them there going for what looks to be a decent price BUT they'd be shipping from Japan. The dealers look to have decent reviews but I guess I'm a bit skeptical because I'm wondering what issues I would run into if I would need warranty work or anything on a non-US market lens. Your thoughts?

May 21, 2015 at 01:09 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buying a lens from Amazon

I am not aware of any issues concerning non-US origin with respect to Sigma lenses. If I am wrong perhaps someone will correct me.

In my experience Amazon responds with an immediate refund if you return a purchase with a problem.

May 21, 2015 at 01:21 PM
fotobandi

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buying a lens from Amazon

Read the descriptions carefully. I once read "full warranty" to mean "U.S.A. warranty". My fault entirely, and when I got the grey market item I realized my mistake. Amazon and the seller took it back no questions asked, no shipping cost. But still a hassle and a disappointing delay.

May 21, 2015 at 01:23 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buying a lens from Amazon

I buy lenses and camera gear all the time from Amazon.

BUT, notice I said Amazon. Within the Amazon site there can be many resellers who are not the official Amazon operation, they can be anyone.

Some good, some bad. Let the buyer beware in other words.

If in doubt, be sure it's truly Amazon, or you know who the seller is.

May 21, 2015 at 01:36 PM
MP79
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buying a lens from Amazon

From the Sigma USA website:

... Please note that the Sigma warranty is valid only to the original purchaser and is not transferable. Grey market products will not qualify for the Sigma warranty coverage.

Hope this helps. I have heard that unlike Nikon USA, Sigma USA will perform work on the lens but you will have to pay for it out of pocket just as if the lens was out of warranty, because being grey market it effectively is from day one. Once again, keep in mind this only what I have heard from others via online forums such as this one. I do not know this firsthand to be true as I do not have any personal experience dealing with Sigma USA and grey market products.

May 21, 2015 at 04:17 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buying a lens from Amazon

Not sure about 3rd parties but why not look at B&H or Adorama. You have to pay sales tax at Amazon and not at these other places.

May 22, 2015 at 12:08 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buying a lens from Amazon

While i have gotten some things from Amazon like Steve i use BHPhoto and also Adorma if BHPhoto doesn't have it, why not go there?

Jim

May 22, 2015 at 02:27 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buying a lens from Amazon

Another really good source I've discovered as of late is Crutchfield. Although I've used off and on for years.

They have 60 day returns, and are as reliable as Amazon when it comes to getting the product out to you. In other words, if you request overnight shipping, and you meet their deadlines, then you will have it the next day.

Just a minor rant, but some of these companies (the two biggies above the "A" and the "B") I've bought from and it seems that if you don't pay for expedited shipping, they instead ship it free... but it may take 10 days to get to you, it's the weirdest thing. Like purposeful slow boat shipping. When I want a lens, and am mildly unsure about it, I will push the button at Amazon with only 5 seconds left for overnight delivery... Ha-ha!!

May 22, 2015 at 09:41 AM
Deebo
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buying a lens from Amazon

I ended up buying directly from Amazon and not through a third party seller on Amazon. I have Amazon Prime so the free 2 day shipping came in handy! It actually came in EXTRA handy since I ordered the lens yesterday late morning and selected 2 day shipping but it just arrived about a half hour ago! Pleasant surprise!!

May 22, 2015 at 02:45 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buying a lens from Amazon

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLRs with APS-C Sensors

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

May 26, 2015 at 12:26 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buying a lens from Amazon

ckcarr wrote:
Just a minor rant, but some of these companies (the two biggies above the "A" and the "B") I've bought from and it seems that if you don't pay for expedited shipping, they instead ship it free... but it may take 10 days to get to you,

B&H Photo Expedited shipping
An item that's in stock should take no more than three business days, coast to coast, and if you're east of the Mississippi it could be 1 or 2 business days, depending on where you are. For us to ship the day you order we must have your order before 4:00pm Mon-Thur and before 11:00am Fri (DST).

An order placed Friday morning (for example) and shipped Friday might not be delivered until the following Wednesday, but that is three business days, even though it's more than three calendar days.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

May 26, 2015 at 12:31 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.