Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2015 · Fishing for Information: Will Canon build an 'A7'?

Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Fishing for Information: Will Canon build an 'A7'?

To me the main advantage of mirrorless is the smaller size for day to day use + all the benefits of the EVF.

I totally get it that some / many / most people around here shoot Sports / Wildlife / BIF / Kids running around etc, but not everyone. Perhaps not as many actually shoot Sport / BIF as would perhaps like to, but they buy a DSLR because it makes them feel like they could someday.

I don't shoot sports any more (never did more than car racing), I don't shoot BIF or even wildlife, and my kids are all grown up. I got really tired of dragging a couple of 1 series bodies around, then I got tired of dragging a 5D3 + 24-70 + 70-200 or maybe a couple of primes. I got tired of the speedlites being so big too.

So I bought an Olympus EM1 and some glass (3 primes, 4 zooms to be precise) to take with me on vacation, general shooting etc. I liked the smaller size and weight so much I sold both 5D3s and my FF glass is sat idle. Perhaps I should sell it. My entire bag of two bodies, 7 lenses and external flash take-up less space and weighs less than a 5D3 + 24-70 + speedlite.

What I am getting at here is that I went mirrorless first for size, but now I'm here there's lots to love about it, like the EVF, live histograms, touch focusing and so on.

If all you care about is fast AF then clearly DSLR is still king of the hill. If you're blind to anything but full frame then at least you have options in the Sony series, but as has been said before, you don't gain much in terms of overall system size because full frame lenses are still quite big, no matter what the flange distance is.

Canon have developed the knack of sitting back and watching markets mature before jumping in to them, then typically coming out with a fairly solid product, albeit it initially over priced. Just look how long it took them to move their video products from HDV tapes over to card media, but when they did they came in with several great products at the high end of the market price range.

I think it's only a matter of time before Canon offer a real mirrorless product for full frame fanatics, but how long that time will be is anyone's guess at this point.

May 21, 2015 at 02:00 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Fishing for Information: Will Canon build an 'A7'?

I guess people bring a lot of different expectations to this mirrorless discussion. I have been using Canon's mirrorless cameras for the last couple of years. First, the EOS M and more recently I imported the EOS M3 when it was introduced. I also own all four of their EF-M lenses. From my perspective, I would like to see Canon put their efforts in around the SL1 replacement. The one feature that I feel needs to be included is AF MA. The SL1 is small enough that there is really very little gain going down into full mirrorless and a lot of tradeoffs. A higher performance camera of this size/type seems to offer the most flexibility. The SL2 holds some promise with the 24MP sensor, 19 pt AF. Canon could create a few compact lenses for the body and have an attractive solution here this year.

May 21, 2015 at 05:43 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Fishing for Information: Will Canon build an 'A7'?

molson wrote:
After nearly two years of using the Sony A7 and A7R, and more recently the A7 II, my suggestion to Sony would be to stick with sensor manufacturing, and leave designing and building cameras to people who have some clue about what they are doing. "Different" does not mean "better".

Some user, who can't differentiate between point and object AF design features, can often making more mistake on the AF set up in order for him/her to explore the full potential of the new AF system.... who always came up with the same conclusion like you did here. All my sony mirrorless cam AF work just fine and up to their specs.

May 21, 2015 at 07:16 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Fishing for Information: Will Canon build an 'A7'?

ggreene wrote:
Sorry MTTRAN but they just aren't there yet no matter how much you try to sell them. Maybe this year a new Sony A6000 will improve the low light tracking ability. Better yet, I'd love to see Sony step it up and make a non-toy pro body to compete with the 1DX/D4S. Give me reliable low light AF tracking and batteries in the 3000+ range for capacity and I'll look at Sony. Price pressure on Canikon at the flagship level would be great.

No I don't sale them I do want these new AF features in one of canon ff mirror less body in near future.

May 21, 2015 at 07:24 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Fishing for Information: Will Canon build an 'A7'?

mttran wrote:
Some user, who can't differentiate between point and object AF design features, can often making more mistake on the AF set up in order for him/her to explore the full potential of the new AF system.... who always came up with the same conclusion like you did here. All my sony mirrorless cam AF work just fine and up to their specs.

Well, if the bar for the specs is set low enough it's easy to meet the specs.

EBH

May 21, 2015 at 07:27 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Fishing for Information: Will Canon build an 'A7'?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

My album is full of sharp image then they must do something right

May 21, 2015 at 07:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Fishing for Information: Will Canon build an 'A7'?

molson wrote:
After nearly two years of using the Sony A7 and A7R, and more recently the A7 II, my suggestion to Sony would be to stick with sensor manufacturing, and leave designing and building cameras to people who have some clue about what they are doing. "Different" does not mean "better".

mttran wrote:

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

mttran wrote:
My album is full of sharp image then they must do something right

I have no doubt the A7r can AF well on static and slowly moving subjects or maybe once in a while on the moderately moving subjects like humans. I'm not sure how it will do with horses - I may try it this summer. I don't have much hope that it will track the cheetahs or even gazelles in the autumn.

EBH

May 21, 2015 at 07:43 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Fishing for Information: Will Canon build an 'A7'?

EB-1 wrote:
I have no doubt the A7r can AF well on static and slowly moving subjects or maybe once in a while on the moderately moving subjects like humans. I'm not sure how it will do with horses - I may try it this summer. I don't have much hope that it will track the cheetahs or even gazelles in the autumn.

EBH

Don't hurt yourself. a7r af really sucks on fast moving subject

May 21, 2015 at 07:45 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Fishing for Information: Will Canon build an 'A7'?

mttran wrote:
Don't hurt yourself. a7r af really sucks on fast moving subject

How do you find your A7II compares to the A7r?

May 21, 2015 at 07:59 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Fishing for Information: Will Canon build an 'A7'?

molson wrote:

Good point, if not a bit harsh - you reading this Canon?

May 21, 2015 at 09:09 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.