New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

ChrisMc73

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

So I've had my Canon 5DMKII since May of 2009 so about 6 years now.
I purchased it as an enthusiast who wanted to take the hobby farther than just normal use.

I did that for a while, I was shooting my new growing family, then turned it into others families, and even did some events and weddings.

I guess I got burned out, too busy with family life, whatever it was but my camera has seen more darkness in the bag than light. I still enjoy getting that good shot and taking shots but I think the "work" part of it, that made it work when I had to get people photos I took for them done, made it not fun. So I just sort of backed out of doing all that kind of photography and stepped away from it for a while.

I want to get back into it again, on my own terms, with my own fire, and my own love, and part of that love is gear. I am a gear head by nature. I love tech, I love new gear, as we all do, but I just like to play with new toys. I think that selling my Canon gear and moving over to Nikon might help me refresh some of my passion. Not because I hate Canon or Love Nikon, I think both are amazing brands and offer great products. But something has always drawn me towards Nikon even though I first went Canon. My father shot Nikon back in 80's when he was alive. Its just calling me. Can't explain it.

So I'm going to join up on here and try to sell my gear. I wanted some advice, as I haven't researched cameras in a while. But If I list my gear to sell, I'd like to see what you all think if I sold the gear for what you think its worth, what could I purchase new from Nikon with that money that would keep me in the same class of gear I have with Canon. I don't necessarily have to have the same exact lenses, in fact I would be happy to start with one really nice prime lens and a good body and build up from there. I think Prime is the way I want to go with Nikon.

So here is what I'll be selling, don't have to mention any prices at all since this is not the for sale area, just in your head and ball park figures, whatever this is worth and then what could I aim for in Nikon...

Canon 5DMKII probably 9.5/10 condition
24-70 2.8 MKI, 9.5 condition
70-200 2.8 IS 9.5 condition
50 1.4 9.5/10 condition
580EXII 9/10 condition
Canon BG-E6 grip 9.5 condition
RSS WPF-QR2: Flash Bracket with Sliding Mount
RSS BGE6-L: L-plate for BG-E6 grip
RSS B5D2-L: L-plate for 5D Mark II
MiniTT1-Canon
FlexTT5-Canon

So I'm hoping I could get a Nikon D750 or D800?
One prime lens?

Its a big switch but I think its what I want to do.

May 19, 2015 at 06:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

The lenses are in the Lens Price Database,

Lens$db, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

You can do a quick survey of eBay for the other specific products to get a good idea of the current market values, plus check used gear listings at KEH, B&H, and Adorama.

May 19, 2015 at 06:25 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

go to KEH, BH, Adorama, eBay to see what those items are selling for

May 19, 2015 at 06:43 PM
ChrisMc73

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

Ok thanks. I'll be doing my detailed prices search soon.

You think I could get D750/D800/D800e or something a prime lens after selling all this?
If you were to guess from an eyeball look at the gear and ball park worth?

May 19, 2015 at 06:54 PM
ChrisMc73

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

Also, I feel better if I sold the gear on a site like here or POTN etc, vs. eBay, although selling on eBay is safer than buying I guess.

May 19, 2015 at 06:56 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

Chris,

selling is an issue whenever/wherever you use PP now that there is a 6 months time frame within which Buyer can exercise the option to return it for a full refund. What is your present gear not doing for you that you believe Nikon would do? Find out by going to www.lensrentals.com, pay a nominal fee and rent what you think you want to switch to, and then decide if it's worth it. just my .02$

May 19, 2015 at 07:32 PM
ChrisMc73

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

anthonysemone wrote:
Chris,

selling is an issue whenever/wherever you use PP now that there is a 6 months time frame within which Buyer can exercise the option to return it for a full refund. What is your present gear not doing for you that you believe Nikon would do? Find out by going to www.lensrentals.com, pay a nominal fee and rent what you think you want to switch to, and then decide if it's worth it. just my .02$

What's PP? Sorry, I am not linking that acronym with anything? Oh wait, PayPal?

The only thing its not doing is getting me excited again, sometimes a refresh is all it takes for me.

May 19, 2015 at 09:52 PM
ChrisMc73

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

I have rented from those places before, other Canon glass that was nice to have and play with. The Canon gear does everything I want to and more. So I know its sufficient. But the lure of a new brand, a new challenge, a new perspective is what I think is eating at me.

May 19, 2015 at 10:00 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

ChrisMc73 wrote:
I have rented from those places before, other Canon glass that was nice to have and play with. The Canon gear does everything I want to and more. So I know its sufficient. But the lure of a new brand, a new challenge, a new perspective is what I think is eating at me.

Nail on the head. the lure of a new brand, a new challenge, a new perspective is what I think is eating at me
Made THAT move ~7 yrs ago (when I turned 60) for just those reasons. The D3 was calling my name
as Canon had nothing like it, and thought the old 'monkey could learn new tricks. Boy, howdy!!

May 20, 2015 at 05:18 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

Will made the switch to "the darkside" years ago..questions you have he probably can answer...I see he stated the move...Anthony has a great suggestion and I would add, rent for enough time to make a good decision.
Dan

May 20, 2015 at 08:02 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

Made a similar jump and have been pleased with the decision. Here was my post when I was considering the jump:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1325835/0#12648523

May 22, 2015 at 03:51 PM
mp0363
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

My Sony experience was mixed and I am now a huge Nikon fan but you could consider mirrorless if you want a "challenge" and something fresh. What do you want to shoot?

It's just a thought and I 2nd the others recommendation to use borrow lenses to evaluate. I was about to give up the hobby until a Nikon rental blew my mind. You mind find a similar experience and then you know for sure that you aren't wasting your money chasing a possibility

Jun 07, 2015 at 10:11 AM
leSargeant

[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

I compared the specifications and concluded that on paper these cameras are basically the same.

Both cameras
5D mkIII w/ 24-105mm f4
Nikon D750 w/ 24-120mm f4

Sell for the same price on eBay regardless of the official price.

That is good enough for me .

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:17 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

You can search the buy and sell forum
Or eBay to get a sense of market prices.

D750 is really nice. D810 if you need the Mega Pixels. My favorite Nikon prime was the 35mm 1.4. Some love the 58mm. Pick your poison

Jun 17, 2015 at 09:22 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thinking of a Canon to Nikon Switch

Howdy, there, Trench Monkey. Had the same impulse - it's the lure of adventure and a fine new instrument vs the lens investment in Canon. Also, Nikon woefully lacks the Canon 135 f/2, though there are probably compensations, as you indicate.

Jul 29, 2015 at 04:02 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.