Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · C&C Wedding Image

Shelly

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C&C Wedding Image

I've been a long time lurker, an occasional commenter, but this is first time posting for C&C.

This was taken in frigid weather (for Texas - 23 degrees), misting/sleeting. Small wedding at a local active airstrip.

Be gentle, if possible.

Thanks yall!

May 19, 2015 at 12:53 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C&C Wedding Image

Hi, nice to see you here, Jaboogy (?)

Really nice idea, good lightning, nice color, like the blobs (rain I assume), the plane ist awesome (yes I said it)

Do not like the pose too much, feels contrived. A more Bogert style would fit better in my opinion. On second thought I would like to see a bit more dramatic lightning to make it more authentic.

But that is the problem, each has his own vision (0:

heiko

May 19, 2015 at 01:46 PM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C&C Wedding Image

I think that the couple will absolutely love it. While I agree with Heiko about the pose- I understand that it may not have been possible to spend minutes perfecting their pose- especially to get that plain the shot at the same time. Get work!

May 19, 2015 at 02:13 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · C&C Wedding Image

If I stumbled across this image I would absolutely think it was photoshoped together from various images. Everything from the perfectly composed plane, the blobs, and the background.

When you're using OCF with extreme DOF like this, you have to be careful to avoid the 'fake' green screen feel. In this particular shot, I think the best way to combat this would be to have shown their feet so that it's obvious that they're actually at the airfield (and not a studio). Another factor that contributes to the fake feel is that the couple is also clearly artificially brighter than the background.

Also, I would vote for a more natural pose. In reality, how often is someone being dipped on an airfield? Just a thought!

After writing all that, I realize that it may come off a bit harsh, but I'm just trying to be helpful! I absolutely agree that the couple will love the shot, and that it should be added to your portfolio. Also, of course my thoughts as a photographer will differ from a client that isn't thinking about these kind of things. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing more!

May 19, 2015 at 03:21 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · C&C Wedding Image

Bartlett Pair wrote:
If I stumbled across this image I would absolutely think it was photoshoped together from various images. Everything from the perfectly composed plane, the blobs, and the background.

When you're using OCF with extreme DOF like this, you have to be careful to avoid the 'fake' green screen feel. In this particular shot, I think the best way to combat this would be to have shown their feet so that it's obvious that they're actually at the airfield (and not a studio). Another factor that contributes to the fake feel is that the couple is also clearly artificially brighter
...Show more

Agree on all counts. I can't see the attraction of turning carefully selected locations into mush and using unnatural looking amounts of flash to make it look green-screened.

Have a look at joshua grasso's thread a few below this one and look at his use of location.

All personal taste of course!

May 19, 2015 at 03:36 PM
Shelly

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · C&C Wedding Image

Heiko - thank you. What a great idea, I wish I had thought of the Bogart theme/style. We were trying to time take-off of the plane so the pose style was last on my mind. The plane was so loud, adding wind to the already raining, windy day. And, yes, basically the groom attacked her when I said "go." I will work on this.

Matt - thank you. I will definitely work on the posing.

Bartlett - Thank you for pointing that out. I never would have thought of a green screen feel, but now I can see it. And I will work on the harsh lighting.

Mark - I will find Joshua's thread and study it.

Thanks y'all! I've got some studying to do.

May 19, 2015 at 04:35 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · C&C Wedding Image

I would desaturate the couple just a touch to match the lack of vibrancy in the background then. Then local adjustment to the couple to unsharpen them. This will give the photo an overall 50's postcard look.

May 19, 2015 at 04:47 PM
Shelly

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · C&C Wedding Image

Depth of Feel - thanks for the advice! I will give it a try.

May 19, 2015 at 06:45 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · C&C Wedding Image

Really has a composited feel, like it was combined from 3 or more shots. I still suspect that the plane was added as it just doesn't feel right. +1 to all that was said above by BartletPair. The ground could definitely help bring continuity to the image. I think a softer light source would also help it feel more cohesive. I think that the most crisp and contrasty spot on the image is the hard shadow on her skin and dress from her bokeh...err, bouquet.

May 19, 2015 at 08:02 PM
Shelly

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · C&C Wedding Image

Thank yall for the feedback. I can guarantee it's one image, not a composite. Froze my ass off (almost!) trying to get this shot. When I catch some free time I am going to try the editing yall suggested. Thanks again!

May 20, 2015 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.