Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

ross.thomas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

Do you guys have any suggestions for any solutions, maybe a small pouch or bag for a couple of lenses to switch out a lens quickly on a shoot? Preferably with a little style?

May 19, 2015 at 01:15 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

"style" is relative to the owner
what "couple of lenses" might you be referring to?
"quickly" is relative to the doer.

May 19, 2015 at 09:11 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

sjms wrote:
"style" is relative to the owner
what "couple of lenses" might you be referring to?
"quickly" is relative to the doer.

Style would simply be a bag that I, a guy, could wear. Maybe leather or nice canvas.
Lenses would probably be 2-3, and that includes the one on camera, so 2 lenses in the bag, maybe a small accessory or two. Probably the 135L, 50L. maybe 70-200 2.8.
"Quickly" would be 10 seconds, or normal time to change a lens.

May 19, 2015 at 11:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

I use a pair of LowePro Lex 200AW "lens exchange cases" on a belt with shoulder straps to keep four lenses on the go for two cameras. Typically, I'd have the 16-35/4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, and either 50/1.2L or 85/1.2L II. Normally, there would be two lenses on the two cameras, and two lenses in the two belt cases. When open, the front of the lens exchange case hangs out to provide separate spaces for two lenses. You drop the lens from the camera in the empty spot, pull out the other lens to put it on the camera, and then close the lens case, which reverts to what appears to be a single-lens case.

As far as style goes, it's pretty utilitarian.

May 19, 2015 at 11:48 AM
unclemikey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

ross.thomas wrote:
Style would simply be a bag that I, a guy, could wear. Maybe leather or nice canvas.
Lenses would probably be 2-3, and that includes the one on camera, so 2 lenses in the bag, maybe a small accessory or two. Probably the 135L, 50L. maybe 70-200 2.8.
"Quickly" would be 10 seconds, or normal time to change a lens.

Form follows function. An old adage. If you're just looking for style you should hire an assistant to just hand you another camera with the lens you want each time you want to shoot. My advice would be to look into a Think Tanks belt or Lowpro Belt system with pouches that will accommodate the lenses you will be shooting with. For me, a quality belt system is not stylish but very functional.

May 19, 2015 at 12:07 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

+1

May 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM
Greggbhill
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

This works for me: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-lens-changer-3-black-shoulder-bag.aspx

May 19, 2015 at 11:55 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

I've always found the best solution to be two bodies - on a shoot.

I also use a Think Tank pro speed belt with Think Tank's Lens Changer 25 V2.0 and a small Kata bag.

May 20, 2015 at 01:17 AM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

I don't get the question. For most of my urban shoots I use a Think Tank Urban Disguise bag. The bag just sits there with two lens ready to go... You hold the camera with one hand, remove the old lens with the other hand, put it in the bag, pull out the new lens and mount it. It's not that challenging. Now doing that while knee deep in water, that's more of a challenge. (But not really.) As someone else pointed out, Think Tank has a variety of bags that allow you to carry lenses on you. Personally, I find that cumbersome and prefer to have my bag sitting in the corner somewhere. Theft is a non-issue.

Paul Mo wrote:
I've always found the best solution to be two bodies - on a shoot.

I totally agree, but I inevitably need a third lens. I haven't bought a third body... yet.

May 20, 2015 at 09:31 AM
craig_k
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

Ross Thomas...if your like many of us...first priority is equipment protection, and that is paramount above all ..(consider adopting that mindset for good reasoning).....we've got multiple thousands in it hauled to any location, anywhere.....multiple bodies, lenses, lights, filters, batteries, cards... I use pelican cases with locks (1450-1510), and this device.... http://www.pacsafe.com/wrapsafe-adjustable-cable-lock.html
I have a leather bag (19x13x11) a saddle maker made for me out of chap leather (not some lightweight upholstery grade) that has a large toothed (8 to the inch) Talon metal zipper that is indestructible...not some cheap nylon stuff that lasts 30 minutes ....that misc-essential materials reside in..it has a 1.5" wide strap on it..... these have traveled daily to outside locations (ranches-arenas-roundpens) for 7 years now w\o failure...I just bought some trekpak inserts for my pelicans....I have not had them long enough to find out if they are sturdy enough for everyday use out in the field...we'll see as all my bodies have rrs l plates attached and its hard on elements... I do like the concept of the product.... http://trekpak.com/how-to/
but my life isn't spent in any studio or protected from the elements type environment.....hard cases are your "piece of mind friend" they are easy to work out of should you require lens changes...I have 2 bodies with dedicated attached lenses 24-70 and 70-200 both 2.8 and an additional wide angle lens and another prime or two in my 1510...providing my smaller 1450 is along out in the field as well then it has an attached lens on another body with extra lenses or what ever in it...don't discount hard cases because of bulk....they've survived the test of the most brutal environments imaginable, multiple times over...branding pens and rodeo arenas....good luck with your decisions

May 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

craig_k wrote:
Ross Thomas...if your like many of us...first priority is equipment protection, and that is paramount above all ..(consider adopting that mindset for good reasoning).....we've got multiple thousands in it hauled to any location, anywhere.....multiple bodies, lenses, lights, filters, batteries, cards... I use pelican cases with locks (1450-1510), and this device.... http://www.pacsafe.com/wrapsafe-adjustable-cable-lock.html
I have a leather bag (19x13x11) a saddle maker made for me out of chap leather (not some lightweight upholstery grade) that has a large toothed (8 to the inch) Talon metal zipper that is indestructible...not some cheap nylon stuff that lasts 30 minutes ....that misc-essential materials reside in..it has
...Show more

Craig and everyone, thanks so much for the detailed responses. I've built up my arsenal of gear over the last year and a half from other business ventures, which has allowed me to really get into photography in that time period. To let you all know my mindset and where I'm at with photography. So I'm just getting started doing shoots, mainly families and portraits. I only have one body, the 5D Mark III, at the moment. So shooting with 2 bodies is out of the question currently. I like shooting with at least the 50 1.2, and the 135L, and sometimes the 70-200 2.8. I do have a Pelican case, but obviously I can't lug that around while I'm shooting. The lens changing that I'm talking about would be when I'm doing natural light stuff. If I'm shooting strobes, switching out lenses isn't as big of a deal for me. I know that for most of you, function beats style 10 times out of 10. However, I'm shooting younger people, and to be perfectly honest, looking good is important to me, and I want to make them feel more comfortable as well on a shoot. I don't want to be carrying 3 large lens pouches connected to a belt, making me look like I'm in the military, headed to war. I really am looking for something half way between stylish and functional.

One look that I really like is the Hold Fast Moneymaker system. I could carry 1 camera on the right, and maybe a bag on the left with a couple lenses in it. Any advice on a setup like this?

May 20, 2015 at 01:13 PM
carnac
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

I like Think Tank Products. You might find their Retrospective Lens Changer 2 or 3. They have a nice large flap that has Velcro (that can be covered for silent ops) to hold closed. It is a messenger bag style.

I have the Pinestone color, but they are available in black also. Very well made.

The "2" version holds two lenses (up to 70-200/2.8), while the "3" version holds three lenses.

The Think Tank straps are some of the best I've ever used.

They come with a rain cover too for those times that the wet stuff is really coming down hard.

Jim

May 20, 2015 at 04:31 PM
carnac
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

Think Tank's belt system is excellent also.

Jim

May 20, 2015 at 04:32 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

unclemikey wrote:
Form follows function. An old adage. If you're just looking for style you should hire an assistant to just hand you another camera with the lens you want each time you want to shoot. My advice would be to look into a Think Tanks belt or Lowpro Belt system with pouches that will accommodate the lenses you will be shooting with. For me, a quality belt system is not stylish but very functional.

Form does not have to follow function, let's get this out of the "taken for granted" list

I use the innards of a lowepro passport shown here and put it in any of my bags, from courier to backpacks, etc.
It works and the bag does not have to follow function..

May 20, 2015 at 05:17 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

Thanks guys, I'll look into them all.

May 20, 2015 at 06:59 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

I agree with Paul Mo, and the others but...I use the Cotton Carriers Vest with holster. 2 bodies and the 2 lenses I will be using. If I need another lens I use a "make-shift" holster strap to hold and protect that other lens in pouch.
Yeah you get strange looks like you are wearing a bullet proof vest but heh..it works for me quite well.
Good luck!
Dan
Cotton Carrier Camera Vest for All Camera Types with Side Holster (Black)

Edited on May 22, 2015 at 08:34 AM · View previous versions

May 21, 2015 at 08:45 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

While I like and have many Think Tank bags, my go-to shooting on location bag for my gripped 5D3, 20-200, 24-70 and 16-35 lenses is my Domke J-1 bag. I like it because it fits all of this gear easily (with room for more) and can be set down on the ground without tipping over. It's a shoulder bag, and because the gear is heavy, I've added the Domke shoulder pad to the strap. I can carry this comfortably all day and get to my gear easily, including changing lenses on the fly.

May 22, 2015 at 12:12 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

you will note that there are many "bests" to a variety of shooters.

May 22, 2015 at 07:52 AM
KFG1
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

This site might be of use when deciding http://www.cambags.com/

May 22, 2015 at 08:57 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best solution for switching out extra lenses on a shoot?

ross.thomas wrote:
Do you guys have any suggestions for any solutions, maybe a small pouch or bag for a couple of lenses to switch out a lens quickly on a shoot? Preferably with a little style?

Style is in the eye of the beholder, but the trick for "quickly on a shoot" is merely to have as many slots or pockets for lenses as you have lenses, so that you are never juggling two lenses at once. And have a specific place for each lens, consistent so you know where each lens is without looking. Back in my PJ days, I learned how to change lenses at a trot without taking my eyes off the subject I was chasing.

May 22, 2015 at 04:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.