New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

ng1111
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

I need some advice on where to get a canon 400mm f2.8 II serviced for general clean up and focus. I sent it in to Canon CPS and it was returned with we cannot service due to the expiration of it's service life (too old, glad the doctors don't think that way when I break down). Any suggestions for where to send the glass for service, I'm in the San Francisco area but willing to ship anywhere in the US for service.

Thanks
Neville

May 18, 2015 at 03:44 PM
fredmaurer
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

An earlier post:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1316726

May 18, 2015 at 03:55 PM
ng1111
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

Thank you for the post it's of great help.

Neville

May 18, 2015 at 04:52 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

Canon is getting really bad about ending service on many of their products. Printers, scanners, cameras, now lens, I for one am tired of spending money for top of the line equipment and having Canon end software/firmware updates and support for it. I will now longer buy Canon equipment. I suggest we organize a boycott of Canon, knowing that is probably futile.

May 18, 2015 at 09:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

Paul Gardner wrote:
Canon is getting really bad about ending service on many of their products. Printers, scanners, cameras, now lens, I for one am tired of spending money for top of the line equipment and having Canon end software/firmware updates and support for it. I will now longer buy Canon equipment. I suggest we organize a boycott of Canon, knowing that is probably futile.

The 400/2.8 II that is the subject of this thread was introduced in 1996. The average service lifetime for a Canon lens or camera is about ten years. Sony appears to be about four years.

What brand do you suggest would be better, based on service life?

May 18, 2015 at 09:27 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

jcolwell wrote:
The 400/2.8 II that is the subject of this thread was introduced in 1996. The average service lifetime for a Canon lens or camera is about ten years. Sony apears to be about four years.

Jim,

A couple of months ago, I sold a recently acquired Canon refurb 'UC" date code 50/2.5 macro as I was not using it that much.

I missed that lens and I am now waiting for a good price to buy another one. Today I almost jumped on a "UC" date code lens at B&S but did a little checking. It still had the "JCII" gold sticker so I surmised that that lens was made in 1987.

Guess what: It is still in Canon's current line up and will qualify for CPS service.

I am not sure I can find a Nikon or Sony lens that is quite as old as the Canon macro that will be serviced by the manufacturer

Edited on May 18, 2015 at 11:42 PM · View previous versions

May 18, 2015 at 09:40 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

Paul Gardner wrote:

Try getting timely service for Olympus or Panasonic and you'll switch right back...

May 18, 2015 at 09:56 PM
luminaire
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

jcolwell wrote:
The 400/2.8 II that is the subject of this thread was introduced in 1996. The average service lifetime for a Canon lens or camera is about ten years. Sony appears to be about four years.

To to clarify: 'average service lifetime' in this context means 'after the termination of production'.

Canon generally produce parts for discontinued lenses for ten years after the end of production. They actually boasted of this in their advertising back in the FD days.

But I've heard rumours that some discontinued lenses are now unservicable within ten years. For example there are components of the 16-35 Mk I that are no longer produced even though it was phased-out in 2007.

Edit: upon reflection, I suspect they produce spares sufficient for ten years of forecasted repairs, rather than actually running the machinery for ten years after production. So if a particular lens has more failures than forecasted then it could fall out of servicability more quickly.

May 18, 2015 at 11:28 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

Boycott if you will but you'll have to boycott every single camera company.

Dropping legacy support is a standard business practice for companies that regularly develop and introduce new products into the market. They have a limit on how much they can support with writing new firmware code, maintaining skills, maintaining special calibrated tools, building parts, space to store parts on the shelf. Legacy support sucks up resources and over doing it can drop them into the red so they have to cut ties with the old product at some point or else they are moving backwards at the expense of current and future products.

This is also very common with software companies. Their software programmers should be spending their time and skills creating new firmware, applications, updates, upgrades, new features, and most importantly, fixing bugs in their current product. Exceptions are made if the legacy product is popular enough and will bring a return on investment. Also, third party vendors may pick up the slack. For example, you can literally build a 1969 Camaro from scratch entirely with aftermarket parts including a brand new metal body and chassis.

Edited on May 21, 2015 at 07:44 AM · View previous versions

May 19, 2015 at 05:40 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

I have requested the source code for my "obsolete equipment" and would fix it myself. BUT Canon will not release the "obsolete code claiming it is "PROPRIOTY"
My take is if it is obsolete they should release it so it can be updated by third parties, but greed rules.

May 19, 2015 at 05:55 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

While I somewhat understand that there must be a "limit", it is no less palatable that an expensive assembly of parts becomes unserviceable or unrepairable.

It is much more difficult to rationalize something like a $5,000.00 EF 400mm f/2.8 IS being rendered "unrepairable" or "unserviceable" compared to a consumer grade lens... or even an iPhone 2 or 3 generations back.

May 19, 2015 at 05:57 AM
ross attix
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

fredmaurer wrote:
An earlier post:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1316726

+1 for Camera Clinic mentioned in Fred's link. Steve is really a Canon expert.

May 19, 2015 at 06:13 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

You should be able to find a camera repair business that may have a source for parts new or used. Here's one. Give Ted a call. He has decades of experience.

Cam-Tek Inc
1435 W Busch Blvd # C Tampa, FL 33612
(813) 961-8874

May 19, 2015 at 06:29 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

I'm perfectly capable of updating the source code to reflect a OS system change, any good programmer at Canon should be able to accomplish the update within one day. Canon spends more on advertising than it would cost them to fix their software. Of course than they might lose a sale of a new unit, which is one thing but when they discontinue a product with no replacement it really leaves you in a pickle. I would really like to insult the top level management of Canon personally if I had a chance. The problem IS at the top because the problem is across all product lines.

May 19, 2015 at 10:21 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

jcolwell wrote:

Actually, it sounds like Sony is down to zero years now, having abandoned their US service depot (and I don't think they ever offered service here in Canada...)

I think I would prefer the Canon approach, servicing gear 10 years after it's discontinued.

May 20, 2015 at 01:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

molson wrote:
Actually, it sounds like Sony is down to zero years now, having abandoned their US service depot (and I don't think they ever offered service here in Canada...)

I think I would prefer the Canon approach, servicing gear 10 years after it's discontinued.

Hi Cliff,

It's not quite that good in Canon land. Looks like it's seven years after being discontinued.

I've been tracking service lifetime data for EF lenses and EOS DSLR for a couple of years. The two cameras for which I have reliable data are the 5D and 1D II. In both cases, Canon Canada and USA removed them from the service list ten years after the cameras were introduced. In both cases, that's seven years since their replacements were introduced (5D II and 1D III).

May 20, 2015 at 04:02 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Expiration of service life by Canon CPS

Canon Rumors just posted that Canon will repair any issues with the glue on the 5D mirror box fir free through September 30, the end of the service life.

I thought that was pretty impressive for a 10 year old camera:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/05/canon-issues-eos-5d-classic-service-advisory/

Thank you for using Canon products.
Please note that the after-sales service period (service reception period) for this product will end on September 30, 2015. The free repairs are also scheduled to end on the same day. The free repairs described below, which we announced on February 3, 2009, are also scheduled to end on September 30, 2015.
We have discovered that, in rare instances, the main mirror of some EOS 5D Digital SLR cameras may detach due to deterioration in the strength of the adhesive. Accordingly, we would like to convey the details and our service policy concerning this phenomenon.

We offer our sincerest apologies to those customers who have been inconvenienced by this issue. Canon always strives to provide the highest quality products to our customers and we will spare no effort in our quality management to make sure our customers can use our products with confidence. We hope our efforts will earn your understanding.

+++

With Nikon trying to aggressively manage their warranty repair expense, many Nikon shooters have falsely been denied warranty repairs on brand new, current model gear with Nikon claiming "impact damage."

This is on gear that is in mint condition with only light use and no drops, etc.

With the rapid contraction in camera sales and existing camera companies that have not made a profit in years, I wouldn't take llong term support for any equipment for granted. Good luck getting in line in bancruptcy court when creditors are receiving $.07 on the dollar.

Cheers.

May 20, 2015 at 09:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.