New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · New To Speed Lights

ambroschphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New To Speed Lights

Hey all,

I have a Nikon D610 and just bought a SB 700. My research told me that it is one of the better bang for buck lights to get. I am curious as to what else I may need. I know I can use it on the camera the day I get it but I will probably be using it off the camera more than on. I know I need a stand but is there preferred wireless trigger?

Any advice will be appreciated!

May 18, 2015 at 02:16 PM
WayneF

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New To Speed Lights

Bounce flash (on hotshoe, but flash head aimed up a white ceiling not too high, ten feet maybe) is a very popular good way to use the speedlight.

Off camera, there are a few ways you can trigger it.

Radio trigger is one way. There are many, all prices, but the Yongnou RF-603 is a popular inexpensive trigger, about $28 for the set of two units (for transmitter and receiver), Amazon. Inexpensive first try, but it will work well. Only a few high end radio triggers allow more than Manual flash mode.

But you already have a good way... the Nikon Commander in your camera will control the SB-700 even in TTL mode, with nothing else to buy except maybe a light stand. Set the internal flash to Commander mode, disable the internal flash (MODE to --- ) and set the external flash to Remote. See http://www.scantips.com/lights/awl.html about using it.

Or the SB-700 has SU-4 mode (optical slave). Manual flash, but just set it out there, and then any manual flash will trigger it. For example, the camera internal flash set to Manual mode, even at very low power level if you don't want the internal to contribute to the scenes lighting.

Re Lightstand. Most have a 1/4 inch thread on top, so the flash can be mounted there, even with the flat plastic stand plate that came with the flash (a Stroboframe 300 shoe would be greatly more durable however - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/50546-REG/Stroboframe_300_405_Shoe_General_Purpose.html ).

However, then the flash head may tilt up, but it cannot tilt down. For that, you would add an umbrella mount, of which again there are many, but see "umbrella mount" at B&H or Amazon. Then it fits any standard light stand, the 1/4" thread is not used. And adding a umbrella to it is really good for a speedlight.
see http://www.scantips.com/lights/umbrellas2.html for details.

May 18, 2015 at 03:45 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New To Speed Lights

Check out Strobist.com, go to the Lighting 101 section

You're welcome

Paul

May 19, 2015 at 02:49 AM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New To Speed Lights

And then, lighting 102 for some polish.

May 19, 2015 at 07:29 AM
ambroschphoto

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New To Speed Lights

Many thanks to all! I like reading so I have plenty of that to do know. Knowing that I can at least start practicing with just my camera commander is a nice advantage and buys me sometime. I purchased a heavy duty stand, mount, and umbrella from Amazon today to help with the practice.

Thanks again!

May 19, 2015 at 03:26 PM
JThomas
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New To Speed Lights

WayneF wrote:
But you already have a good way... the Nikon Commander in your camera will control the SB-700 even in TTL mode, with nothing else to buy except maybe a light stand. Set the internal flash to Commander mode, disable the internal flash (MODE to --- ) and set the external flash to Remote. See http://www.scantips.com/lights/awl.html about using it.

I second using Nikon's Advances Wireless Lighting (AWL) system.
It's pretty sensitive, I can even use it outside in full sunlight.
More HERE on the subject.
The TTL system works well, but manual is more consistent.
For convenience, I use the Nikon SU-800 Commander instead of the pop-up flash. Don't have to go into the camera menus to adjust the flash that way.

I do have radio transmitters but honestly, for what I do, the AWL system works about 80% of the time for my needs.

May 19, 2015 at 06:24 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.