New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Marumi Polarizer

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Marumi Polarizer

Do these filters have front threads? Are they any good? Thanks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/973418-REG/marumi_amxcpl77_77mm_exus_circular_polarizer.html

EBH

May 17, 2015 at 05:35 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Marumi Polarizer

The detailed specification section on the B&H site lists it as having 77mm front threads, so you are OK there. I have stayed with the B+W brand for polarizers, but I believe that the Marumi brand delivers reasonable value. I do have several Marumi solid ND screw on filters, and they have worked well for me.

May 17, 2015 at 05:49 PM
irreversible

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Marumi Polarizer

I've got one, and yes for the filter thread. It's been good enough for my purposes but honestly I don't use it all that much. Lenstip really liked it though, which is why I got it.

Roland, have you tried the Marumi NDs beyond 3 stops?

May 17, 2015 at 06:03 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Marumi Polarizer

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I've had two in a row of the BH polarizers become very difficult to turn. For $200 apiece they should be better. Now my 77mm Hoya super duper polarizer with crappy aluminum threads has stuck to another filter.

EBH

May 17, 2015 at 07:28 PM
nWmR12
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Marumi Polarizer

Yes, I have the Exus 72mm which I had gotten in Japan, and an older 82 Super DHG varient (thin version ,and both have front threads) that I use on my Zeiss..I find them just as good as the B+W, at least that is what my unscientific tests tell me. In fact I prefer it to my BW one as it has gotten stuck with other filters, and they are easier to clean at least I find..

May 20, 2015 at 12:43 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Marumi Polarizer

I had one shipped and will pick it up en route in June.

EBH

May 20, 2015 at 09:39 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Marumi Polarizer

The Exus filters have teflon coated threads, which should help prevent them getting stuck I guess.

According to this site the Exus filters should be good optically too: http://www.2filter.com/prices/specials.html

Marumi Exus made with German Schott Glass in Japan,
Marumi Super DHG filters made with Schott Glass

May 21, 2015 at 07:37 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Marumi Polarizer

EB-1 wrote:

I've had two in a row of the BH polarizers become very difficult to turn. For $200 apiece they should be better. Now my 77mm Hoya super duper polarizer with crappy aluminum threads has stuck to another filter.

EBH

Hi EBH

I had one B+W pol that was hard to turn , i have tried Teflon Oil for guns and it work great , the trick is pour one drop of oil on a piece of plastic and dab a very small jeweler screwdriver in the drop of oil , and drag the tip of the screwdriver in between of the rings do this until you see the oil getting in ,apply oil and rotate the ring retry until it becomes smooth again , 2 drops is enough and the oil will sweep in and it will rotate fine it takes 10 minutes to do it right , that saved me the expense of buying and other filter !

For those stuck filters rubber bands and rubber glove's do the trick it take a bit of patience and many try's and it will unscrew.

Francois

May 27, 2015 at 11:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Marumi Polarizer

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

qc_mountain wrote:
Hi EBH

I had one B+W pol that was hard to turn , i have tried Teflon Oil for guns and it work great , the trick is pour one drop of oil on a piece of plastic and dab a very small jeweler screwdriver in the drop of oil , and drag the tip of the screwdriver in between of the rings do this until you see the oil getting in ,apply oil and rotate the ring retry until it becomes smooth again , 2 drops is enough and the oil will sweep in and it will rotate
...Show more

Thanks. I'll try to find some oil on the Amazon in June.

EBH

May 28, 2015 at 06:00 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.