New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

Like many here, I've used Wasabi batteries for some spares for my cameras for a while. Had an odd issue today, though. I picked up my X-T1 to shoot my daughter's birthday party. I've been shooting with my A7 II for the past two weeks, so I was making sure things were charged and ready. Took some shots and my shutter was freezing shut. Battery was showing 2/3 full, but I'd try and take a shot, the shutter would close and freeze, then eventually release. Sometimes I had to shut off the camera. It also wouldn't hold any settings changes made before the lockup.

I thought my camera was broken. I was then really distressed to find that my warranty had expired....yesterday. I grabbed my X-E2 instead but then for some reason thought about the battery. Put in a Fuji battery and took some shots. The X-T1 was operating fine. I put the Wasabi in my E2, and bam: same shutter sticking issue. Fuji battery and it's fine. Shot about 80 frames at the party with the T1 without issue.

So, I think this will be OEM batteries for me from here on out. I just can't afford to have the camera start misbehaving in the middle of a shoot.

May 17, 2015 at 05:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

That is weird. I've never seen anything like that. I use a mix of Fujifilm and hahnel batteries for my X-E2, and Fujifilm and Lenmar for my X100S. I always have at least three batteries per camera, including the one in the body, and by 'preference' I always have at least one Fujifilm battery for each.

A couple of years ago, I decided to stick with OEM batteries for my 1D-series and 6D Canon cameras, although I do have a couple of Watson batteries for my SL1.

May 17, 2015 at 05:57 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

Jman13 wrote:
So, I think this will be OEM batteries for me from here on out. I just can't afford to have the camera start misbehaving in the middle of a shoot.

Just get more than one wasabi, if one is playing up put the next one in.
OEM batteries are a rip off, it's like being asked "do you want extended warranty and a protective filter with this" and answering yes

May 17, 2015 at 06:25 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

I've always had that attitude too, but this was just weird. Never had an off battery before. I'm not planning on dumping my other Wasabis I already own, but I will make sure to have at least one full OEM at all times when going out now. When replacing more I will probably lean to buying OEM from now on.

May 17, 2015 at 06:46 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

Spyro P. wrote:
Just get more than one wasabi, if one is playing up put the next one in.
OEM batteries are a rip off, it's like being asked "do you want extended warranty and a protective filter with this" and answering yes

Considering that virtually every camera company outside of Canon and Nikon is losing copious amounts of money, I think they are trying to make as much money as they can while still delivering some kind of product.

May 17, 2015 at 07:55 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

Yeah well Fuji's financial situation ranks pretty low in my list of worries.

May 17, 2015 at 08:04 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

Spyro P. wrote:
Yeah well Fuji's financial situation ranks pretty low in my list of worries.

That's the attitude users of the Fuji S5 Pro SLR had. Then Fujifilm folded up shop.

May 17, 2015 at 08:31 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

No problem with Wasabi batteries batteries here. Did you clean the contacts?

May 17, 2015 at 09:33 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

Strange, though for as cheap as Wasabi are, it doesn't surprise me. Not that I'm a die-hard OEM guy - I think i've owned and used Wasabis for nearly every camera I've owned for the past few years.

Like you (now), I've made it a point to always have at least one OEM battery with me (and i save it for last). Wasabi are great for the price, but I've had them die quicker than normal when freshly charged, etc and I think I experienced very slight cell swelling on one. I don't think I've never had a camera misbehave from one, though.

May 17, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

rattymouse wrote:
That's the attitude users of the Fuji S5 Pro SLR had. Then Fujifilm folded up shop.

Still pretty low

May 17, 2015 at 10:18 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

cputeq wrote:
Strange, though for as cheap as Wasabi are, it doesn't surprise me. Not that I'm a die-hard OEM guy - I think i've owned and used Wasabis for nearly every camera I've owned for the past few years.

Like you (now), I've made it a point to always have at least one OEM battery with me (and i save it for last). Wasabi are great for the price, but I've had them die quicker than normal when freshly charged, etc and I think I experienced very slight cell swelling on one. I don't think I've never had a camera misbehave from
...Show more

Yeah, this is my first real issue, and I have two Wasabi batteries each for my GX1, E-M5, Sony cameras and Fuji. I've never had any swell or anything, but I have had one or two die earlier than I'd expect. I'm just relieved my X-T1 isn't broken. It was really bizarre.

May 18, 2015 at 06:24 AM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Odd issue with Wasabi battery for Fuji

I have had two after market batteries fail like this, but so far none of them have been the Wasabi batteries. Not sure what the cause it but I am starting to put more effort into finding out why. I thought the first was a fluke, but now after the second I am not sure. I wonder if it could be the way they are charged.

Alan

May 18, 2015 at 08:38 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.