New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Subway Solicitations

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Subway Solicitations

"N" train, this afternoon, on the way to Queens, NYC. Difficult lighting conditions to start with. Shooting from the hip to remain anonymous. Any PP suggestions appreciated.

© eeneryma 2014

Subway Solicitations

May 16, 2015 at 09:17 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Subway Solicitations

Just spitballing here - street photography ain't my thing (yet!).

First I'd look to address the perspective distortion. It's not the worst, but could be fixed pretty easily.

Secondly, I'd try to put the most focus on the overweight dude and the "get in shape" ads. Maybe get liberal with some burning and minimize the impact of the middle (and also most lit) portion of the shot to drive home the ad vs. target contrast/connect.

Jeff

May 16, 2015 at 09:23 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Subway Solicitations

HI Jeff:
I did try some distortion correction using the perspective correction tool but it was severe and ended up distorting the "music man." So I backed off.

Street photography which I love is so hit and miss. Trying to make lemonade here.

May 16, 2015 at 09:32 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Subway Solicitations

Just a tip: Most folks don't realize it's possible, for *some* images to make a selection of part of an image and apply distortion correction(or deliberate distortion) to the selection while leaving the rest of the image unchanged. And/or, make a selection of the inverse or another portion of the image and distort or correct it.

May 16, 2015 at 09:38 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Subway Solicitations

Hi Karen:
Thanks for the great tip! Tomorrow will try selecting a portion of the image and applying distortion correction.

May 16, 2015 at 09:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Subway Solicitations

I might crop the left side so we don't see the reflection of the man in yellow.

Even so ... I think the message comes through loud & clear to override any tech-nit-cal issues I might consider. Personally, I think it is a pretty good "hip shot" ... i.e. message delivered.

May 16, 2015 at 10:40 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Subway Solicitations

Hi Kent and thanks for your critique. Sometimes when I "shoot from the hip" I get in big trouble!
I tried to selectively correct distortion with perspective crop tool but couldn't get that to work. Will have to research how to do it. I did go back and use the custom lens correction tool and got this result which I like better.

© eeneryma 2014

May 17, 2015 at 06:31 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Subway Solicitations

Playing a little more in photoshop. Used puppet warp to fix upper right corner. Used color burn to darken map area. Amazing what you can do in CC if you know what you're doing, which I don't.

© eeneryma 2014

May 17, 2015 at 07:58 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.