New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Old Moonshine Still

WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Moonshine Still

Some friends in the mountains practice the time honored art of making shine.

They were kind enough to let me take a few pictures of their still, with no faces included for obvious reasons Quite an interesting process the mash is put in the kettle over the fire and boiled the steam is piped from it to the middle barrel where the shine is filtered with the heavier particles floating down to the bottom of the barrel. The steam is collected and sent to the condensing coils in the large barrel that is filled with water to cool the shine down and it runs out of the bottom of the barrel into the quart mason jar at the bottom.

They said their product had a rating of between 180 and 195 proof. They allowed me to sniff it and it smelled strong. No taste tests allowed.

Sounds interesting doesn't it, now the truth is this is a still making moonshine but it is sanctioned by the county at an Old Mill Crank Up days. At the end of the 2 days they have to poor out all the moonshine , no keeping any of it.

Thought I would share the picture of an art not seen much today.

Thanks for looking

Walt

May 16, 2015 at 12:05 PM
d900e

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Moonshine Still

I've been curious about mooshine ever since watching the show on Discovery. Is it possible to buy some legally?

May 16, 2015 at 06:42 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Moonshine Still

d900e wrote:
I've been curious about mooshine ever since watching the show on Discovery. Is it possible to buy some legally?

Yes, there are of course Federal guidelines including IRS. There is a store on the square in Edgefield, SC that makes on the premises and customers can sample.

Link to TV spot if interested:

shine

Bob

May 16, 2015 at 07:34 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.