New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2015 · Sharpest alt lenses?

dantheobserver
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sharpest alt lenses?

I use a Canon 1DIII and after reading recently about alt glass (old Nikkor lenses, in particular), I've been curious to try it out. I'll be keeping my 100-400L for action and birds in flight, but I'm open to having manual focus lenses for the wide/normal end of things and macro.

I have the Canon 50/1.8 II, and while I love the color/contrast, I haven't been blown away by the sharpness. I've read good things about the various MF Nikkor 50s and macro lenses, but does anyone have any recommendations specifically? I'm a college student, so I'm looking for the best sharpness, color and bokeh I can get without having to shell out thousands of dollars for the current crop of canon glass. I'm open to just about any manufacturer, so feel free to recommend all your favorites!

May 16, 2015 at 11:30 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sharpest alt lenses?

Good bang for the buck is the Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 in Contax/Yashica mount. It runs about $200 and is extremely sharp and contrasty.

May 16, 2015 at 11:36 AM
taran
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sharpest alt lenses?

If I may suggest a micro nikkor 105mm f4 ais. Picked mine up from keh.com for $115. Its perfect for macro.

If you are going this route, i recommend a sony NEX or alpha 7, much easier to focus than a DSLR.

May 16, 2015 at 12:40 PM
Coltrane
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sharpest alt lenses?

Jman13 wrote:
Good bang for the buck is the Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 in Contax/Yashica mount. It runs about $200 and is extremely sharp and contrasty.

When I read your question, this was the first lens I thought of. $200 is the going price, but I've seen this sell for as low as $160. My second choice would be the Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS. These are several varieties of these. I'm speaking of the long nose version which will have a serial number of 3135197 - 3304551. It's under $100 and very close to the quality of the Contax Zeiss.

May 16, 2015 at 03:29 PM
WhyFi
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sharpest alt lenses?

In a WA, some of the Olympus lenses are great for only a fistful of dollars. The OM 28/3.5 is a fun little lens for not mush more than. In the ~$300 and up range, the C/Y Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 is very sharp with a lot of pop.

May 16, 2015 at 03:31 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sharpest alt lenses?

Keep in mind when adapting lenses that you'll generally want to focus wide open, so if you plan to shoot at other apertures you'll need to focus, stop down, then shoot. Not a huge deal but if you want to try to capture the moment it might get in the way… and is the reason I generally avoid adapted alt glass these days. Zeiss puts out some excellent manual focus glass with full auto aperture functionality for Canon, and while they run a bit more than the more affordable alt options you can get some of them used for a pretty affordable sum (the 50/1.4 Planar and 35/2 Distagon come to mind).

May 16, 2015 at 03:36 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sharpest alt lenses?

WhyFi wrote:
$300 and up range, the C/Y Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 is very sharp with a lot of pop.

this lens looks very nice on Canon bodies. I used one on my 1dsmii and I loved it.

Zeiss 135mm 3.5 DDR jena is an excellent lens. I used it on my 1dsmii and I loved it. I mean canon's 135mm is a cracker so I don't know if you'd want the Jena

May 16, 2015 at 03:36 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sharpest alt lenses?

nkri wrote:
I use a Canon 1DIII and after reading recently about alt glass (old Nikkor lenses, in particular), I've been curious to try it out. I'll be keeping my 100-400L for action and birds in flight, but I'm open to having manual focus lenses for the wide/normal end of things and macro.

I have the Canon 50/1.8 II, and while I love the color/contrast, I haven't been blown away by the sharpness. I've read good things about the various MF Nikkor 50s and macro lenses, but does anyone have any recommendations specifically? I'm a college student, so I'm looking for the
...Show more

Nikkor 28mm f/2.8. Dirt cheap and blazing sharp. Shockingly so.

May 16, 2015 at 03:37 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sharpest alt lenses?

Back when the forum was dominated by people using adapted lenses on Canon, the AI/S 28/2.8 and 105/2.5 were forum favorites, and with good reason. They're both very good lenses for their age and have price-to-performance ratios that make them relative bargains.

May 16, 2015 at 04:10 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sharpest alt lenses?

The cheap 50mm f1.8II that you have ought be as sharp as you can detect without equipment at its middle apertures. (not so much wide open or down a stop or so). If not it's likely faulty.

May 16, 2015 at 04:25 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sharpest alt lenses?

Contax 35-70/3.4 macro...As sharp as all the above primes, with great 3D rendering, and a very good macro(almost 1:2)

May 16, 2015 at 04:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sharpest alt lenses?

The 'old' photodo site is a useful reference when you're looking for a sharp lens. Here's the top 20 of 458 lenses tested (all formats). The first number is the weighted MTF score, which is on a logarithmic scale that tops out at 5.0.

In my experience, a relatively low score on the old photodo weighted MTF metric is not necessarily a bad thing (the legendary Contax CZ 35-70/3.4 scored 3.8), but a high score on this scale is a reliable indicator of an excellent lens. I own or have owned nine of these twenty lenses.

4.8 Canon EF 200/1,8L USM
4.7 Contax G Planar 45/2,0
4.6 Canon EF 85/1,2L USM
4.6 Contax Planar T* 50/1,7
4.6 Contax Planar T* 85/1,4
4.6 LeicaM Summicron-M 50/2,0
4.6 LeicaR Elmarit-R 90/2,8
4.6 Pentax SMC-A 85/1,4
4.6 Pentax SMC-F 50/1,4
4.6 Pentax SMC-F 50/2,8 macro
4.6 Tokina AT-X 90/2,5 macro
4.5 Canon EF 135/2L USM
4.5 Contax Planar T* 50/1,4
4.5 Konica M-Hexanon 50/f2
4.5 LeicaM Elmarit-M 90/2,8
4.5 LeicaM Summilux-M 75/1,4
4.5 LeicaR Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2,8
4.5 LeicaR Summicron-R 50/2
4.5 Minolta AF 100/2,8 Macro 1:1
4.5 Minolta AF 50/2,8 Macro1:1

It appears that the "old photodo" lens test results site has been completely absorbed into the contemporary site. The original data that I have were downloaded from the original photodo site on 3 Sept 2003. The transition of the photodo site from what it was then to what it is now is described here,

- "About photodo.com", http://www.photodo.com/topic_140.html

The "How we test our lenses" article at the current photodo site describes a relatively new methodology using Imatest, which was not available when the original photodo tests were performed. The current photodo site says it has 428 MTF test results. My version of the original data has 458 MTF test results, including 32 for medium format lenses, which gives 426 "small format" lenses in 'my' file. I did a quick comparison of the "top twenty" average-MTF scores, and the current site only lists ninteen of them (link below); the Contax CZ Planar 50/1.7 is missing from the current list. Something is awry.

- current photodo database sorted on MTF scores, http://www.photodo.com/browse-lenses/sort-mtf-score-desc

As far as I can tell, the current photodo site does not identify which lenses were tested using the 'new' Imatest method, and which were tested using the original procedure. I suspect that the great majority of weighted-MTF test results on the current site were tested using the old methodology. The old test methodology (using Hasselblad lens test equipment at infinity) is briefly described in the following article,

- Understanding Photodo's MTF graphs, numbers and grades, http://www.photodo.com/topic_136.html

These articles provide a bit more information on the old photodo weighted-MTF score, plus a general discussion on lens resolution testing from Zeiss (which was posted on the original photodo site),

- Resolution, contrast and MTF, http://www.photodo.com/topic_110.html
- Understanding the MTF graph, http://www.photodo.com/topic_108.html
- Lens performance - the view from Carl Zeiss, http://www.photodo.com/topic_137.html

You can download a tab-delimited text file of the original 2003 photodo MFT scores here,

- photodo MTF scores text file, www.jcolwell.ca/ftp/_p_photodo-sorted-all-formats.txt

[edited to include non-35mm lenses, some discussion, and link to download old photodo scores]

Edited on May 17, 2015 at 04:01 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2015 at 04:38 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sharpest alt lenses?

Sharpness is as much a matter of technique and knowing your lens as it is about the lens itself. We often blame a lens for sharpness when in fact we have misfocused, used too slow a shutter speed or introduced a host of other reasons for poor sharpness. Look at yourself first, then look at your lenses (use Live View, mirror lockup, tripod etc).

All that aside, the Micro-Nikkor 2.8/55 ais is impressive for what is a very cheap lens these days.

May 16, 2015 at 05:27 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sharpest alt lenses?

Cadaver wrote:
When I read your question, this was the first lens I thought of. $200 is the going price, but I've seen this sell for as low as $160. My second choice would be the Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS. These are several varieties of these. I'm speaking of the long nose version which will have a serial number of 3135197 - 3304551. It's under $100 and very close to the quality of the Contax Zeiss.

Another vote for the C/Y Zeiss 50mm f/1.7.

I have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 that's also very nice. I think it's an Ai. It's sharper, contrastier, and cleaner than my Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 wide open, though it lags behind the Zeiss for edge/corner sharpness/contrast by a stop or two. I haven't compared them on FF, but the difference was pretty obvious to me on APS-C.

May 16, 2015 at 07:35 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sharpest alt lenses?

JohnJ wrote:
Sharpness is as much a matter of technique and knowing your lens as it is about the lens itself. We often blame a lens for sharpness when in fact we have misfocused, used too slow a shutter speed or introduced a host of other reasons for poor sharpness. Look at yourself first, then look at your lenses (use Live View, mirror lockup, tripod etc).

All that aside, the Micro-Nikkor 2.8/55 ais is impressive for what is a very cheap lens these days.

Yes, this is an excellent lens, one that I have switched to using over my Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AIS unless I need the speed for low light. The sharpness out of the micro is very impressive and the lens is as light as a feather compared to the bulky f/1.2 lens.

May 16, 2015 at 07:51 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sharpest alt lenses?

the nikkor AI lenses definitely have the sharpest edges, it's very easy to accidentally cut yourself. mostly on the nikon meter coupling prong.

May 16, 2015 at 10:06 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sharpest alt lenses?

jcolwell wrote:
The 'old' photodo site is a useful reference when you're looking for a sharp lens. Here's the top 15 of 398 lenses tested. The first number is the weighted MTF score, which is on a logarithmic scale that tops out at 5.0.

In my experience, a relatively low score on the old photodo weighted MTF metric is not necessarily a bad thing (the legendary Contax CZ 35-70/3.4 scored 3.8), but a high score on this scale is a reliable indicator of an excellent lens. I own or have owned nine of these fifteen lenses.

4.8 Canon EF 200/1,8L USM
4.6 Canon
...Show more

I would add the Leica R 60 Macro, it's still blazing sharp on my A7r @ 36MP.
Lenses I really enjoyed on my 1DIII:
Nikkor: N.C 24/2.8 & O.C 35/2 I still want the 85 and 105
EF converted Rokkor 58/1.2
S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 85/1.8(I had the ST 85/1.9), 105/2.8, the most $ being the 85mm, but this is a great inexpensive set otherwise.
OM 21/3.5, 50/1.4 or 1.8MIJ
Helios 44/2

Things sure have changed for me since I bought my NEX-7 & A7r, there are so many more options to choose from that are difficult or impossible to adapt to EF mount, I doubt I could go back.

May 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sharpest alt lenses?

Samyang 85/1.4
Rokkor 58/1.2

May 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sharpest alt lenses?

JohnJ wrote:

Thank god someone said it.

Most lenses can produce very sharp pictures, if that's what you want. But sharpness on its own will not turn a rubbish photograph into a good one. In many cases too much sharpness can be distracting. Good photographs come from planning and the method is: concept, execution, equipment - in that order. Equipment is nothing more than a conduit for realising concepts and not an end in itself. A good base concept is essential. Without that your pictures will struggle to be strong. As Ansell Adams said, "sharp pictures of fuzzy concepts".

But for those who are new to the art, sharpness looks like the acme of good photography. For many, that means chasing the sharpest lenses, reading reviews, doing tests, etc. It's always worth making the effort to get your pictures as sharp as possible but that is a matter of practice, not gear.

Sharp lenses are only a matter of degree and the sharpest lens in the world will not make you a good photographer. On top of that, there are trade offs. Sharp lenses are not necessarily nice to look at. High levels of sharpness and smooth bokeh have to be traded off against one another (and bokeh quality is largely subjective anyway). Then there's the purpose of the lens. Most lenses have a degree of curvature of field. Macro lenses are generally flat field and while they are usually the sharpest, they are not always the best choice. They are also usually slower, f/2.8 being pretty normal. They also tend to be optimised for short distances. All this is a matter of compromise.

The only purpose for having ultra sharp lenses is comparative. The vast majority of lenses are plenty sharp enough.

I know I'll get bagged for this but it's worth reading:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lens-sharpness.htm

Of course, I'm aware that this is a forum mainly concerned with gear. I am concerned though, that newcomers will learn the wrong things. Many people here are quite capable of turning out excellent pictures. But those pictures are mostly a product of the maxim I outlined earlier and less a matter of their equipment.

May 17, 2015 at 12:26 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sharpest alt lenses?

What is your budget exactly and what focal lengths do you want /need in that budget? Plenty had been said, but without specifics, we're just throwing it ideas blindly.

May 17, 2015 at 01:06 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.