New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              18      
       20              22       23       end

Archive 2015 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #1 · p.19 #1 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
That's the thing, the dock is your way of downloading it and doing it yourself. Cameras have SD/CF slots that you use to bring in firmware updates, and the Sigma dock is like that but for lenses. Hopefully all brands introduce something similar, it really is a time and money saver, especially outside of the US where shipping to a service center can be very expensive.

I'd prefer to update lens firmware through the body itself like I do with my Fuji cameras instead of buying a dock just to switch a couple settings that could have easily been pre-programmed into the C1 and C2 buttons out of the box instead of the buttons having no functionality until you buy the dock.

Jul 07, 2015 at 02:45 PM
SeverianTL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #2 · p.19 #2 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Bsmooth wrote:
This would be the first Sigma I would even bother to look at. Mostly because of so many quality issues they've had in the past. I think its great there making great strides and advancements, because it pushes other manufacturers to do the same.
As far as firmware updates, I really don't see why you couldn't update them the same way as other electronics, just download it and install it yourself. I'm sure we'll get to that point eventually.

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
That's the thing, the dock is your way of downloading it and doing it yourself. Cameras have SD/CF slots that you use to bring in firmware updates, and the Sigma dock is like that but for lenses. Hopefully all brands introduce something similar, it really is a time and money saver, especially outside of the US where shipping to a service center can be very expensive.

arbitrage wrote:
I'd prefer to update lens firmware through the body itself like I do with my Fuji cameras instead of buying a dock just to switch a couple settings that could have easily been pre-programmed into the C1 and C2 buttons out of the box instead of the buttons having no functionality until you buy the dock.

Maybe that would work for a Sigma lens on a Sigma body. But what incentive do third party camera makers have to make this possible for one of Sigma's lenses on their bodies? None as far as I can see.

As far as the dock goes, just think of it as Sigma's way of digging a little extra profit out of you, kinda like what Canon does with lens hoods. The difference is that Canon forces this hood tax on you for every non-L lens that you buy. But you only need to buy the dock once, then you can use it for many lenses.

Bottom line, it's only $60 US. I've certainly spent much more than that over the years for Canon hoods, tripod collars, remotes, etc. I bet you that if Canon sold a non-L version of the 100-400, they'd charge more than $60 for the hood and lens pouch that Sigma includes for "free" (yeah, I know it's rolled into the price, but you get my drift).

Jul 07, 2015 at 03:12 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.19 #3 · p.19 #3 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Imagemaster wrote:
Joe, I realize all that. What I am saying is that changing the OS or AF is like changing the AF parameters for say Case 2 on a 7D2. e.g. changing the tracking sensitivity to -2 or +2 does not mean that overall AF will be better than the default setting of 0.

Got ya !!

Jul 08, 2015 at 07:30 AM
borno
• •
p.19 #4 · p.19 #4 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

I got a 7dii recently, so tried out the 1.4xii canon extender on my "S" and it back-focused too much for a camera adjustment. The lens needed no adjustment by itself, so I was going to rent the sigma tc-1401 to try but thought I would stick the dock on there with the canon 1.4xII to try, and it opened the menu for AF adjustment with a 1.4x even though it was a canon TC. I think this will be workable for the little I would use a TC on it. Just a little FYI

Jul 09, 2015 at 04:53 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.19 #5 · p.19 #5 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

borno wrote:
I got a 7dii recently, so tried out the 1.4xii canon extender on my "S" and it back-focused too much for a camera adjustment. The lens needed no adjustment by itself, so I was going to rent the sigma tc-1401 to try but thought I would stick the dock on there with the canon 1.4xII to try, and it opened the menu for AF adjustment with a 1.4x even though it was a canon TC. I think this will be workable for the little I would use a TC on it. Just a little FYI

I mentioned this in the other thread but I have the C and with my 1.4TCIII even at -20 in the camera it was still back focusing. I added another -15 via the Sigma dock and that got it proper so a total of -35...yikes!! The good thing was that without the TC the lens was +3 so I just added +15 in camera to compensate and left it at +18. If the bare lens had been more off then it wouldn't have worked out but it just did. I'm going to try it out today and see if the results are useable at 840mm. If not I'll reset and just use the bare lens. That was on my 7D2, on my 1DX the AFMA was minimal with and without TC so it is a bit strange why it affects one camera so much and not the other.

Jul 09, 2015 at 08:44 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.19 #6 · p.19 #6 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Great pictures with this lens and not so great sometime, there were a few from the imagemaster of Goldfinches that were a bit soft, but then others were OK, so as I said before it comes down to technique as well.
I really don't think other Mfg will do this as well, but as you say, you never know, and that way they can squeeze a bit more money out of us that way.

Jul 09, 2015 at 08:59 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.19 #7 · p.19 #7 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Looks about as sharp as your shot:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1308874/0#12487791

Jul 09, 2015 at 09:17 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.19 #8 · p.19 #8 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

I guess its all a matter of opinion isn't it ? You know whether a shot is sharp or someone's statement is ridiculous.
If there's one thing I've learned for sure the ImageMaster has an opinion about just about everything.
I think just about everyone here has experienced that.

Jul 09, 2015 at 09:30 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.19 #9 · p.19 #9 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Bsmooth wrote:
I guess its all a matter of opinion isn't it ? You know whether a shot is sharp or someone's statement is ridiculous.
If there's one thing I've learned for sure the ImageMaster has an opinion about just about everything.
I think just about everyone here has experienced that.

Yeah, a matter of opinion, and look at all your opinions on this thread about a lens that you don't even own.

Seems I have missed anything positive you have contributed to this thread. Maybe you should go and troll elsewhere.

Jul 09, 2015 at 10:18 AM
borno
• •
p.19 #10 · p.19 #10 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

arbitrage wrote:
I mentioned this in the other thread but I have the C and with my 1.4TCIII even at -20 in the camera it was still back focusing. I added another -15 via the Sigma dock and that got it proper so a total of -35...yikes!! The good thing was that without the TC the lens was +3 so I just added +15 in camera to compensate and left it at +18. If the bare lens had been more off then it wouldn't have worked out but it just did. I'm going to try it out today and see if the
...Show more

Interesting, I had the same deal with the sport and the 1.4x ii, I put -20 in the boxes on the lens with the dock and needed -20 on the 7dii at the long end. There must be some incompatability going on. I may rent the tc-1401 just to see.

Jul 09, 2015 at 10:41 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.19 #11 · p.19 #11 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Thanks Imagemaster, but I think I'll leave all the bad opinions and trolling to you, since you seem to be so good at it.
I've never seen anyone waste so much thread space, you really do love to hear yourself talk.
Now maybe, just maybe everyone else can join back in and actually talk about the lens again, and the aforementioned dock of course.

Jul 09, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.19 #12 · p.19 #12 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Hey Buddy Boy, why don't you show us the positive contributions you have made to this thread in comparison to other members? Tells a pretty good story, doesn't it?

Seems you are the one wasting the most thread space, whining about a dock. And still you want to talk about a dock that you have described as "rinky dink". Time for you to do a reality check.

Maybe try starting your own thread, since you seem to be an expert of lenses that you don't own.

Just click on the little button at the top right of the page, "New topic", and try contributing for a change.

Jul 09, 2015 at 11:18 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.19 #13 · p.19 #13 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

I am so happy!! I returned my Sig 150-600 it totally sucked!! I sent it back to B&H for an exchange I must admit I was nervous but the replacement lens is awesome I am so happy with my second siggie.

Jul 11, 2015 at 08:18 PM
godfreyz
• • •
p.19 #14 · p.19 #14 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

I saw Mike's (Tanglefoot47) pics from his new Siggy 150-600 and they are fantastic. Continued good luck with your new toy Mike.

Jul 11, 2015 at 09:15 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.19 #15 · p.19 #15 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

A few more 1.4TCIII examples.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:00 AM
photpfan

p.19 #16 · p.19 #16 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

it was great to meet you and thanks for the tutorial.

Jul 12, 2015 at 07:24 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.19 #17 · p.19 #17 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Some fantastic shots here coming from this lens!

I've been considering this lens to use as my wildlife lens for shooting fury critters such as deer and bear. As such, most of my shooting is in dark(ish) woodland areas and/or dawn and dusk lighting. I see most of the shots here are of birds in direct bright light and at F8 and high iso.

For the apparent optimal IQ of this lens, I'm concerned about the need to shoot at f/8 thus very high ISO in order to minimize motion blur of these types of critters in low light.

I've read and heard many great things so far on this lens.
So I have a question for all of you that have been shooting this lens.

Would this lens be practical for my intended use on my 70D cropper?
The price range of this lens is about right for my budget and I really need a longer lens than the 70-300 I'm shooting right now.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:43 AM
Mike Eckstein
• •
p.19 #18 · p.19 #18 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Hers a shot at ƒ 7.1 and 600mm. Sigma 150-600C

http://www.meckstein.com/post/f7.jpg

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:10 PM
Garry Gibson

p.19 #19 · p.19 #19 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Really great photos. More credit to the photographer than the lens I think

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Mike Eckstein
• •
p.19 #20 · p.19 #20 · Sigma 150-600 Contemporary - best telephoto zoom for the price

Garry Gibson wrote:
Really great photos. More credit to the photographer than the lens I think

I find I have to give some credit to the lens. I find I am getting a much higher percentage of in-flight keepers with this lens. It makes me leave my 400Lƒ5.6 and 70/300L lenses at home!

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:39 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.