Any feedback would be great.

Color

Black and White

May 15, 2015 at 09:00 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Made it Just in Time

7I've no idea what the climbers are doing. Might resonate more if they were doing something more obvious.

May 15, 2015 at 11:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Made it Just in Time

I initially missed them in color (eye was drawn to the blue sky) ... saw them immediately in mono.

If the hikers are the key point, I might reduce the sky and tighten things in just a touch. Also, a bit more contrast to the face of the peaks @ left to illustrate how high they are (i.e. above those peaks). Otherwise, we don't have much of a scale for the height of the ridgeline ... also to help indicate the trek it would have required to get to their present position.

Could also put some more drama / detail / time of day toward the sky, but it becomes a delicate balance @ how much attention is gained at the sky / pulls from the hiker vs. frames the hiker. Certainly subjective to the intended message @ various component weight / strength.

Overall, I'm diggin' it and the message it sends (even if we don't have a clue what they are doing). The fact that they are THERE ... doing whatever they are doing as part of getting / being there (i.e. still working) is pretty strong for me.

May 16, 2015 at 07:02 AM
IsaacTheGray
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Made it Just in Time

AuntiPode wrote:
7I've no idea what the climbers are doing. Might resonate more if they were doing something more obvious.

Thanks AuntiPode. The climbers were a lower priority to me here than (1) the contrast of the dark foreground to the bright sky and mountain and (2) the mountain on the left itself. Based on your feedback though I may have missed my mark. I did have a hard time brightening that mountain any more than it is now without it looking over developed.

Another thought - I wonder if you would've evaluated the photo differently if I had chosen a different title? 'Just in Time' for me was about making it to this point with the lighting being where it was and not about what the climbers were doing. I'm assuming most people would read the title and think it's about the climbers (rightly so).

Either way, thank you for your feedback! I'd love to hear any other thoughts you have.

Isaac

May 16, 2015 at 11:59 AM
IsaacTheGray
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Made it Just in Time

RustyBug wrote:
I initially missed them in color (eye was drawn to the blue sky) ... saw them immediately in mono.

If the hikers are the key point, I might reduce the sky and tighten things in just a touch. Also, a bit more contrast to the face of the peaks @ left to illustrate how high they are (i.e. above those peaks). Otherwise, we don't have much of a scale for the height of the ridgeline ... also to help indicate the trek it would have required to get to their present position.

Could also put some more drama / detail / time
...Show more

Thank you RustyBug,

The hikers weren't the main point. I prefer that they're an afterthought, or a "discovery" after the initial impression of the contrasted skyline and the mountain to the left. Seeing as both you and AuntiPode went immediately to evaluating the hikers I might need to re-work this a bit.

Would you mind sharing how you made the clouds more dramatic like that?

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and advice. Very helpful.

Thanks

Isaac

May 16, 2015 at 12:07 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Made it Just in Time

Definitely feeling the mono over the color, especially with the boosted drama in Kent's rework.

Love the silhouette look!

Jeff

May 16, 2015 at 01:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Made it Just in Time

Well ... it is YOUR image @ YOUR message.

So, while Karen & I may have gravitated toward the hikers, that doesn't mean you can't steer your image in the direction AWAY from the hikers. As always, your pic, your message ... and as is the case with many a good capture, one can often times successfully take it in more than one message direction.

That said, I'm curious now to see how you'll adjust to reflect it toward YOUR message. As to the clouds ... mostly a gamma adjustment via levels (and some masking to restrict it).

As to the title ... it really didn't factor in for me. Actually, I had to revisit it to try and understand the correlation. For me, the title suggests that the hikers have arrived at a location to begin setting up camp, just before they lose their precious light to work in.

As to the broader perspective of the light ... you may have to clone out the hikers if you want it to be just about the play of light / dark ... or make some tonal value adjustments that render their shape and tonal contrast a bit less stark for grabbing the eye.

Noting how my eye was initially pulled AWAY from them in the color version, the eye / mind responds to varying degrees of contrast (i.e. things that are different). Those can come in the form of line, shape, hue, saturation, tone, scale, mass, order, symmetry, etc. ... just how slowly or rapidly the transitions might be from one to another will have impact on the amount of "pull" the contrast(ing elements) will have to draw the eye of your viewer.

HTH ... and again, nice capture. S&P to taste @ your image, your message, your call. Looking forward to seeing more.

Also, like Jeff (thx, btw) ... I was glad to see you didn't try to HDR / lift shadows heroically (I'm having a Deja Vu, atm ... have we been here before).

May 16, 2015 at 02:21 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Made it Just in Time

For your consideration: More cloud detail would add interest. More light and mid-tone contrast may add interest to the mountain on the left. Might also suggest recovering some slight detail in the foreground to move it from featureless black to deep shadow - a closer match to how the eye would probably process the scene which *may* add to it.

May 16, 2015 at 05:12 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Made it Just in Time

It's a neat image. Maybe a bit confused, but neat.
IMO, the B/W is treatment is essential. The blue sky doesn't play well with all the black area and neutral grey/white cloud tones.

I rather like Bug's crop, and the enhanced glaciers and snow fields on the mountains.
Not too sure of his new sky - IMO, it seems maybe a little too punchy, distracting from the very interesting horizon.

I went the other way with the crop, emphasizing the sky, and cutting the (most wonderful) hard black area back a bit.
Dodged the glaciers.
Trimmed both ends.
Light burning of upper left corner to somewhat de-emphasize the dark area at far upper left.
Touch of 'wavelet' sharpening to tease just a bit of fine-scale detail from the clouds.

May 16, 2015 at 05:36 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Made it Just in Time

A B & W version:

May 16, 2015 at 08:12 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.