1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

gschlact
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

mLichy911 wrote:
I've tried all Case Settings/Values. Even all negative values,and I feel it still can be too twitchy sometimes. With my 60D, I could/can shoot a static target in AI Servo, and it wouldn't freak out. But at least half the time on the 7D II, it tries to move around.

I know I shouldn't be using AI Servo on a "static" target, but if a bird moves suddenly or even slightly, it might be too late.

In general, in One Shot and AI Servo, I often experience what others do, and what Jared Polin did. Where it's just not totally
...Show more

I'll attempt to provide some help, but you really did t pro I've us with appropriate info beside that you were using single AF point in servo.
What lens, exif info (ss, aperture, ISO, focal length) , approximate distance to subject, calculated total dof, screen shot of where Af point was on the bird, hand held?, IS on or off, was the lens mfa' ed, etc.

On my tablet in taking fast look at the bird on read example, my over stations show a very shallow dof (way less than the birds body). You can see in the left image that the birds left most side (most front closest side) feathers are sharper, becoming less sharp as you move back in the image. The right side on is the opposite, with furthest top of bird body sharpest. You San see the back Reed is less out of focus on right image.
So this would have me investigate exactly where the Af point landed / and found edge to focus on.

Servo should produce perfectly fine in focus shots of stationary objects.
Also, don't be afraid of using spot focus in servo. I do it successfully all the time.

May 18, 2015 at 08:42 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

Not that it should make any difference but a whole whack of people were downloading from the Canon Asia before the NA version was released. Just a thought.

May 18, 2015 at 11:02 AM
luke kwan

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

I shot 800+ pics at the zoo yesterday with my 2x 7dmk2's. Both camera have the 1.04 installed.

no lockups. on 1st body i had my 600 f/4 all day. AI SERVO and used fine af point or 65 point most of the day.

2nd body. i switched back and forth between my 85 1.2 IS II and 70-200 IS II. I used AI Servo with 65 AF point mostly. But i did cycle through different af points.

I got home and while the pics were d/ling i fell asleep... We were at the zoo from 10am til 6pm! I was pretty much exhausted!

May 18, 2015 at 01:04 PM
JimBowman
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

Getting my 7D2 ready for shipping return/replacement in the hopes that I get one that does not suffer focusing issues. Spent 5 hours trying everything to get it working at a football combine under so-so lighting. Keeper rate was absolutely terrible and checked the focus point on every image and rarely was it in focus.

Really hope the replacement works as advertised...kinda regretting switching from Nikon right now but I have invested too much to turn back now and do it all over again (plus lack of time to sell and restock...).

May 18, 2015 at 10:19 PM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

I did the 7D2 firmware thing yesterday ...... Today I had a miserable time with focus issues.

I found that with my new 100-400 lens when I tried to refocus on a different spot..... The thing would show focus lock in the viewfinder even tho it was a total blur. Had me really worried. Just kept doing strange focus things, and it worked fine before the firmware was installed

Not sure I read anywhere about this particular issue? Sound familiar?

I seem to have it resolved now.... What I did was to reset all custom functions and changes I had made Back to factory ... then I re-tweeked the settings to my preferences.

Anyway..... Sure hope it won't do this again

LuckyT

May 19, 2015 at 01:14 AM
mLichy911

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

I never did a full reset. I should try that. See if that helps. I left my custom settings alone.

May 20, 2015 at 09:08 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.