Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

JakAHearts
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

Limp? Let second shoot it? I can walk but do I go to the doc now and risk having a cast or tough it out because Im a grown ass man and Ive made a commitment?

Who has skipped out on weddings at the last minute and why? How was it? (my second is quite capable. Probably better than me, actually but has never met the couple, obviously)

May 14, 2015 at 07:16 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

Inform the couple, give them choices, see if anyone comparable is available.

1-Tough it out, risk further damage, miss other jobs. Risk lower performance.
2-Have your second act as lead, you second shoot, hire a third shooter. Get a "boot" to protect your foot so that you don't miss other jobs.
3- Hire it out to someone who can do your level or better. potentially take a hit.

I think 2 or 3.

May 14, 2015 at 07:23 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

Haha I was leaning towards 1 because stubborn and dumb.

May 14, 2015 at 07:27 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

Things like this scare the shit out of me. Go to the doc immediately. You need to know what you're dealing with. I vote for 2. If you're alive, you should be there in some capacity. They'll appreciate your dedication and honesty in this situation. Might not hurt to refer to your "2nd" as your "Associate shooter" instead, just for confidence levels in your couple.

May 14, 2015 at 07:29 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

If you think you broke your foot go to the doctor. Because toughing it out could cause further damage which could effect the quality of the rest of your life.

May 14, 2015 at 07:36 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

Go to the doctor, get some crutches and man up. The bride will love it, she'll tell all her friends, "He showed up with a broken foot and STILL took amazing photos." I've shot weddings with the stomach flu, dislocated ribs, & sprained ligaments in my knee. Just take it slow, tell the bride what's up, you'll be moving a little slower, but still there to kick butt. Take it part by part, focus on getting ready shots, then the ceremony, then the portraits, then the reception, don't stress about how your gonna shoot the ceremony during the prep. Just show up, dig in, and give it your best shot. Canceling for any reason other than death is gonna give your a business some bad press.

Edited on May 14, 2015 at 07:47 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2015 at 07:40 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

Definitely get to a doctor! I broke my foot and if your break is anything like mine was, it is PAINFUL and your foot is really swollen. I could put almost no weight on it. I cant imagine working a wedding, even on a crap load of pain meds.

The cast took maybe an hour to put on, and then they give you a boot. It's pretty easy to walk in, you'll be slower and probably have some sore muscles in the beginning because of the new way of walking. Toughest part for me was going up and down steps.

Long periods of walking and standing were frowned upon by my doctor though.

Edit: At first, I probably had a tiny hairline fracture. I was in high school at the time and my dad thought I was being a baby and all I really had was a sprained ankle. I could sort of hobble along if I walked *just right.* Then one day, walking to class, *crack* it fully broke. This was a week later and I went to the school nurse. She knew from the swelling that it wasnt a sprain. Next day a doctor put on a cast after an x-ray confirmed it.

May 14, 2015 at 07:45 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

I blew my knee out 3 weeks before I had a 3 day Indian wedding to shoot. I let the bride know what happened to me, and I discussed plans with her. In our case, Fri & Saturday were more laid back/"stand and take family pics" type of days, all in the same place.

The Sunday part was a traditional western ceremony. That was the day I had be on my "A" game. I ended up hiring a 2nd on my own dime, who would also cover for me if I hurt myself again.

May 14, 2015 at 08:12 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

Option number 2 from Depth of Feel is the way to go.

May 14, 2015 at 08:16 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

About 8 years ago I photographed a wedding with torn wrist ligaments.
I asked for a removable cast at the hospital and then took it off for the wedding ( just a week after).

About 6 years I injured my knee at another wedding and just told bride and groom in advance what happened and that I can't walk fast. Offered them to bring an assistant with me at no charge, but they said there's no need. Everything worked out really well that day.
-----
If your foot is actually broken, you'll be in a lot of pain. The standing for 8 hours+, alone, is hard even with healthy feet. I am not a doctor,but there's always a chance you can damage your foot further so I would seriously recommend going to a hospital and see what they say.
Health is the most important thing you have!

May 14, 2015 at 10:48 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

I shot a wedding a few years ago three days out of surgery. I did not mention it as there were two shooters but I should have simply because any pain I felt through the day would show on my face and with no context the couple assumed I was upset about something.

Once I mentioned why things progressed as normal but had it not become evident to myself that I was communicating some negativity they would have felt that after I had left.

May 15, 2015 at 12:31 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

So I woke up this morning and I can hobble on it pretty well. Im unable to put weight on the heel of my foot but I can pretty much walk on my tiptoe at full speed. Im going to just hobble through and tippy toe around. The reception and ceremony are outdoor and in the same location. Im going to bring an assistant in case I need to "run" anywhere. Thanks everyone for the stories and experience!

May 15, 2015 at 07:00 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

I understand if you'd rather not go into detail, but what actually happened? Have you had any sort of diagnosis?

Anyway, if you can skip along on your toes, I would just go ahead. TBH, when do you really need to run anywhere on the wedding day? I rarely ever do. I mostly just plod around at my own pace. Just give yourself extra time in the schedule to get places if it involves some travelling.

Happy shooting!

May 15, 2015 at 07:03 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

I stepped off a step stool as I was fixing a curtain in my house. We have a temporary area rug that isnt fixed to the hardwood floor and my foot/ankle stopped but my leg kept going. Probably more tendon related now that I have time to think and my head has relaxed but still, scary before a big weekend.

May 15, 2015 at 08:29 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

Pics or it didn't happen.

May 15, 2015 at 09:36 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

Depends how bad it is...
I dropped a 180lb electrical transformer on my foot in college and broke it clean in half on the metatarsal bones. I was sure my docs would cast me up for a long time but they were like "it's a clean break, just take at easy, it will heal". No cast, no boot, nothing. I wrapped it up and hobbled around on my heal for a few weeks then started walking again as soon as possible because I did not want my muscles to atrophy. I was water skiing with a duct taped foot and tons of pain about a month later.

Broken bones and stuff are weird because sometimes you are fine even with bad breaks (how I was) and sometimes you can really do more damage with stuff that doesn't even seem bad at all. I would ask the doc and then decide from there. If you can tough it out why not try? It is your foot so unless you are risking further damage or permanent damage I would tough it out because besides actually getting around it should not effect your shooting much unless you use your toes to fire the shutter.

May 15, 2015 at 11:06 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

hardlyboring wrote:
Depends how bad it is...
I dropped a 180lb electrical transformer on my foot in college and broke it clean in half on the metatarsal bones. I was sure my docs would cast me up for a long time but they were like "it's a clean break, just take at easy, it will heal". No cast, no boot, nothing. I wrapped it up and hobbled around on my heal for a few weeks then started walking again as soon as possible because I did not want my muscles to atrophy. I was water skiing with a duct taped foot and
...Show more

Maybe it will fix my tendoncy (punny spelling error intended) to tilt images ever so slightly to the right.

May 15, 2015 at 12:09 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

DannyBostwick wrote:
Canceling for any reason other than death is gonna give your a business some bad press.

this actually made my day!

heiko

May 15, 2015 at 03:07 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

Put the word out and maybe bring another shooter or assistant to help you out. I shot a wedding for a dude who broke his heel snowboarding and went in for surgery the day of the wedding. I actually shot it with his wife, who called the shots, but we split things up and I shot the formals. Anyway, he shot the rest of his (very busy) season in a cast and on crutches. That's bad ass.

May 15, 2015 at 05:43 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wedding Saturady. Think I broke my foot. :(

I made it!! I only had to hobble/run twice to drag some flashes in out of the rain. Thanks again everyone!

May 17, 2015 at 08:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.