FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · and a Steampunk Portrait

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · and a Steampunk Portrait

Just a "direct" shot.
I can always use advise on portraiture.

BTW, BW doesn't do as much justice to her here.
Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2015

May 14, 2015 at 07:14 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · and a Steampunk Portrait

Bring up her eyes and I might have to love this.

Jeff

May 14, 2015 at 07:19 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · and a Steampunk Portrait

beavens wrote:
Bring up her eyes and I might have to love this.

Good suggestion.
Jeff

GoetzPhotoz 2015

May 14, 2015 at 09:04 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · and a Steampunk Portrait

Okay, so I love it.

Jeff

May 14, 2015 at 09:07 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · and a Steampunk Portrait

When posing, don't be afraid to rotate the camera and have the subject turn and look back towards the camera. The angle of the shoulders is good but having her head turned a little farther would help. Her eyes can still look at the lens for a direct gaze image but a more dynamic feeling.

May 14, 2015 at 09:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · and a Steampunk Portrait

Somewhat interpretive @ mono ... doesn't look quite as "punk" though.

May 14, 2015 at 10:14 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · and a Steampunk Portrait

RustyBug wrote:
Somewhat interpretive @ mono ... doesn't look quite as "punk" though.

Dreamy, coy smile - I like it.

Just missing the same lock that the eyes have with color.

May 14, 2015 at 10:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · and a Steampunk Portrait

beavens wrote:
\

Just missing the same lock that the eyes have with color.

Eyes now

May 14, 2015 at 10:25 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · and a Steampunk Portrait

I love the direct look and slight smile!

One of the hardest things to do in portrait photography, especially when you have a lovely young lady as your subject, is to look beyond the subject and see the background. I see you stopped down from wide open (f4.0) to f5.6. It is easy to see a nice blurred background when composing and forget the background will be sharper at shooting aperture. I'm a big proponent of using the DOF preview button as a quick check. There's lots to think about and do in the short span of grabbing a candid. You have to practice enough that it becomes instinctive and happens instantly.

In this instance, she has a tree growing out of her head. Sometimes just a slight change in camera position can help. For instance, I see foliage on the right of the frame. It may be that changing the shooting position by a step or two to the left would have given more greenery and gotten rid of the branches against the sky. If possible, it would have also eliminated the busy-ness in the lower left of the frame.

Kent did a good job opening up the eyes. I think some work on the background, including some darkening, blurring and cloning would help concentrate attention on the subject. The photo is certainly good enough to warrant the effort.

May 15, 2015 at 07:57 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · and a Steampunk Portrait

AuntiPode wrote:
When posing, don't be afraid to rotate the camera and have the subject turn and look back towards the camera. The angle of the shoulders is good but having her head turned a little farther would help. Her eyes can still look at the lens for a direct gaze image but a more dynamic feeling.

Thank you for the pointer.
Scott

May 15, 2015 at 12:53 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · and a Steampunk Portrait

dmacmillan wrote:
I love the direct look and slight smile!

One of the hardest things to do in portrait photography, especially when you have a lovely young lady as your subject, is to look beyond the subject and see the background. I see you stopped down from wide open (f4.0) to f5.6. It is easy to see a nice blurred background when composing and forget the background will be sharper at shooting aperture. I'm a big proponent of using the DOF preview button as a quick check. There's lots to think about and do in the short span of grabbing a candid. You
...Show more

Doug,
Thanks for the detailed comment and suggestions. I was a bit surprised no one else commented on the tree out of the head. I know it is less than ideal and I should have noticed it in shooting. I As you said, it was a quick candid; I was captivated by her beauty and smile and really need more practice and to slow down.

Scott

May 15, 2015 at 12:57 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · and a Steampunk Portrait

Kent,
It's interesting to see what you have done with the BG, reducing the distractions.
But, I really don't think BW can do her justice here
Scott

May 15, 2015 at 12:57 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · and a Steampunk Portrait

It's not difficult to remove the tree from the background. Select the sky over her head, click on Refine Edge and then select the refine radius tool. Use the brush to refine the hair edge of the selection. Then make a new layer from the selection and use the clone stamp to replace the tree bokeh with other lighter sky bokeh. My test took probably less than a minute in Photoshop. Obviously it's better to avoid the problem in the first place, but is can be fixed in post processing.

May 15, 2015 at 06:49 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · and a Steampunk Portrait

To be honest I never had a chance to notice the tree. Totally lost in the eyes, cheeks and smile. Technically the point remains, but ignorance is bliss.

Color all the way.

It's a keeper, Scotty.

May 15, 2015 at 07:05 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.