FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

pokemanyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

With yet another uncooperative Indiana sky.

Edited on May 14, 2015 at 05:08 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2015 at 04:20 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

I don't think its the sky thats the problem here, its the harsh light you had..and the choice of shutter speed. Were you using a ND filter?

Not sure if you can, but you can shoot this one with the sun being lower, it may offer your better choice of shutter speed to smooth out the water a little bit.

The cyan/bluish tint should be reduced.

Lots of potential at this place

May 14, 2015 at 04:39 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

I warmed it up a bit. I've never been very good at catching the too blue thing.
It was pretty early still from what I recall. No filter but it is a 3 shot bracketed blend.

May 14, 2015 at 05:11 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

I did a total re-processing and I think it shows the scene as it was.
Sometimes I use a Nik recipe to make areas brighter and it didn't turn out too well.
I think this one is better.

I like to use these forums as a learning tool so bear with me.

May 14, 2015 at 05:41 PM
DeweyB1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

I find shooting in this area early in the day very difficult as well. I don't think you have done to bad. A few clouds would have helped alot.

May 14, 2015 at 07:41 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

A nice viewpoint here, having Clouds sure would have helped or shooting earlier or later. Sunny gave some great suggestions. The number one key here though is always expose for the highlights. Make sure when you shoot you are not blowing the highlights. If the shadows are too dark, then bracket a fee shots and expose for the shadows. You can then blend the exposures.

Your edit looks much better, but still the sky looks blown and like you tried recovering it too much. Remember you can recover information from a shadow area that is too dark, but you cant recover highlights that are blown, that detail is lost forever.

And its great to hear you are open to learning, thats a good trait to have.

Jim

May 14, 2015 at 08:43 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

After looking at my darkest frame at 100% I discovered the sun peeking through (circled in red)

I also included the next two frames. All are untouched except for Steve Perry's web sharpen/resize to 1024.

I think this is a tough angle with the way the sun comes in. You can't really get enough light much earlier then this I think.

I sure a better processor could make it more pleasing then my attempts.
Or am I off base here?

May 15, 2015 at 08:59 AM
Maritan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

Were you using a tripod? Earlier light is entirely possible if you use a tripod and longer shutter speeds close to a second in length...

May 15, 2015 at 09:29 AM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

Maritan wrote:
Were you using a tripod? Earlier light is entirely possible if you use a tripod and longer shutter speeds close to a second in length...

That's correct but you won't get the kind of highlights/colors like in the rock area at the lower right hand corner. Harder to see at these web sizes but it kind of makes the picture to me. You need actual light for that I think. Here is an example from another angle on the same day.

May 15, 2015 at 10:22 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

I think you just demonstrated a major weakness in your pic - you were shooting into the sun. Sometimes you can get away with it but other times the light proves to be too harsh. Yet when you turn around in your last pic the light is much more cooperative. I believe your best bet is to go back at the opposite end of day (if this was morning then shoot evening), put on a polarizing filter, rotate it until you do not have any blue circles in the sky and shoot a series of different shutter speed less than 1/15 of a sec.
Dave

May 15, 2015 at 11:46 AM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cataract Falls, Indiana

dbehrens wrote:
I think you just demonstrated a major weakness in your pic - you were shooting into the sun. Sometimes you can get away with it but other times the light proves to be too harsh. Yet when you turn around in your last pic the light is much more cooperative. I believe your best bet is to go back at the opposite end of day (if this was morning then shoot evening), put on a polarizing filter, rotate it until you do not have any blue circles in the sky and shoot a series of different shutter speed less than
...Show more

Good points! Thanks for playing along! That's why FM is great

May 15, 2015 at 12:54 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.