New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Any photo management tools that leverage filesystem/directories

rudyr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any photo management tools that leverage filesystem/directories

Hi all,

I'd like to avoid having to put my images into a specific program's database. By that I mean I don't like how Apple/iPhoto/Photo ingest the photos into it's own structured environment. My preference would be to simply create a folders, put the images in there, and have an application rest on top of that which can produce slideshows, facial recognition, etc.

Is there any application that meets the following criteria:

+ Manages images where I've stored them (e.g. \Photos\Event1, \Photos\Event2, etc.) versus "importing" photos into a proprietary structure?

+ Is cross platform, at least for both Mac and PC

Thanks in advance!

-R

May 14, 2015 at 03:41 PM
blob loblaw
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any photo management tools that leverage filesystem/directories

yup, Capture One Pro if you use "Sessions" instead of "Catalog"

oops it won't do facial recognition

May 14, 2015 at 04:59 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any photo management tools that leverage filesystem/directories

Have you already discounted Lightroom for some reason?

May 14, 2015 at 05:17 PM
rudyr
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any photo management tools that leverage filesystem/directories

Does LR's move to the CC require an upload of my files there, or could they continue to reside exclusively on my system?

May 14, 2015 at 05:27 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any photo management tools that leverage filesystem/directories

rudyr wrote:
Does LR's move to the CC require an upload of my files there, or could they continue to reside exclusively on my system?

No requirement, but you can upload selected collections as you desire for sharing on the web or use on other devices like tablets and smartphones.

Additionally, Apple Photos can mange your images without physically storing the images in internal image library but in a "referenced fashion the same as Lr which means you cane save the images to any folder/directory on any drive attached to your system. Although in Photos, only managed photos (stored directly in the default library) can be shared via the Cloud, which may not be a concern for you.

May 14, 2015 at 06:11 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any photo management tools that leverage filesystem/directories

Lightroom does exactly what you want. "importing" simply imports information about the files, plus creates previews, indexes, etc to make the images easier to manage within LR. The files on disk are not touched by what goes on in LR.

May 14, 2015 at 08:57 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any photo management tools that leverage filesystem/directories

ACR in Photoshop. Also, you can still use both options with LR.

May 14, 2015 at 08:57 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any photo management tools that leverage filesystem/directories

ACR in Photoshop. Also, you can still use both options with LR. In fact, I have LR and PS on my computer, and I organize things in the file system.

May 14, 2015 at 08:58 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any photo management tools that leverage filesystem/directories

I manually copy the RAW image files to my directory structure, then tell LR to import them "in place." I can access my photos from within LR or simply from the file system explorer.

<Chas>

May 15, 2015 at 12:41 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.