Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tethered shooting on 6d with LCD off possible?

therealthings
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tethered shooting on 6d with LCD off possible?

I was wondering if it's possible to shoot tethered with my 6d having the LCD of my camera off to save battery.
I'm hoping anyone could tell me. At the moment it's eating my batteries with WiFi and the LCD on all the time.

Thanks!

May 14, 2015 at 03:07 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tethered shooting on 6d with LCD off possible?

I do it all the time, at least with a USB hub: don't use Live View with EOS Remote. Of course there will be no LV on the computer screen but once you take the picture the image is uploaded and can be viewed.

I gave up on W-Fi after the first week. I only have two batteries and Wi-Fi manages to eat them before the session is over.

May 14, 2015 at 03:20 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tethered shooting on 6d with LCD off possible?

That's the problem. I'm working on a project where the camera is close to a perching spot for a bird. So i need live view on my ipad to see whether the bird has landed on the branch. I just want the live view on my ipad, and off on the camera.

May 14, 2015 at 03:34 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tethered shooting on 6d with LCD off possible?

I don't know if the screen may be turned off but have live view transmitted elsewhere- but one thing you can try is to get a DC adapter and use a much larger battery, or a grip with the AA tray and high-capacity batteries.

May 14, 2015 at 03:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tethered shooting on 6d with LCD off possible?

I do it through EOS Utility/LiveView on my notebook computer, and also through DSLR Controller on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (GN3) phone. The GN3 connection is more-or-less what you want to do with your iPad.

I don't use Wi-Fi because (as Peter KF said) it eats batteries, plus Wi-Fi has lower resolution than the camera's A/V Out terminal that I use. For the GN3, I use an OTG (On The Go) micro USB 3 to USB M-F cable (which is like the "null modem" cable from days of yore), which I attach to a USB to mini USB F-M cable, that goes in the camera A/V port. You just need a 'normal' USB to mini USB cable to connect the camera to a notebook USB port.

Anyway, you don't put the camera into LiveView, you connect it to the notebook/phone and then turn on the camera, and the app controls everything. It does not turn on the rear LCD when it goes into LiveView on the remote device, but the camera is running in LiveView (i.e. sensor is active), and so camera battery is being used as long as the LiveView screen is up on your remote app.

I figure you probably need an OTG apple micro USB 3 to USB M-F cable for your iPad (unless it's an older iPad with a wideflat conector), and a couple of USB extender cables between that and the USB to mini USB cable that goes in the 6D. I also have an iPad2, but I haven't bothered to connect it. I prefer the GN3 for "the field", because you can swap batteries on it.

Also, you might want to use a grip on the 6D, which brings an additional battery into the game.

Here's a thread on using remote LV with the GN3, and comparing A/V out with HDMI out (the HDMI out has way lower reosolution),

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1292421/0#12329285

P.S. the rear LCD isn't eating up your batts anyway, it's the Wi-Fi. GPS is a power pig, too.

May 14, 2015 at 04:11 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tethered shooting on 6d with LCD off possible?

jcolwell wrote:
I do it through EOS Utility/LiveView on my notebook computer, and also through DSLR Controller on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (GN3) phone. The GN3 connection is more-or-less what you want to do with your iPad.

I don't use Wi-Fi because (as Peter KF said) it eats batteries, plus Wi-Fi has lower resolution than the camera's A/V Out terminal that I use. For the GN3, I use an OTG (On The Go) micro USB 3 to USB M-F cable (which is like the "null modem" cable from days of yore), which I attach to a USB to mini USB F-M
...Show more

Thanks for the detailed info.

May 15, 2015 at 04:34 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tethered shooting on 6d with LCD off possible?

therealthings wrote:
That's the problem. I'm working on a project where the camera is close to a perching spot for a bird. So i need live view on my ipad to see whether the bird has landed on the branch. I just want the live view on my ipad, and off on the camera.

I'm doing the same. I just received a iusbportcamera2 unit that lets me control my camera with iphone or ipad, etc. Its full tethering including intervalometer, touch focus, all the controls. I set it up inside today, and checked it out, its better than I expected. B&H had them for $189 last week, but they are up to $300 again now. There is a version 1 for $200 that you should skip. Users also report that there is shutter delay with older ipads, I have the newest. I'll be checking the range and how that might affect the controls as well.

One of the things I'm concerned about is how fast it captures the image when I push the remote button. It seemed reasonably fast but I'll only know for certain when I try to capture a bird at just the instant I want.

May 15, 2015 at 10:02 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tethered shooting on 6d with LCD off possible?

scalesusa wrote:
I'm doing the same. I just received a iusbportcamera2 unit that lets me control my camera with iphone or ipad, etc. Its full tethering including intervalometer, touch focus, all the controls. I set it up inside today, and checked it out, its better than I expected. B&H had them for $189 last week, but they are up to $300 again now. There is a version 1 for $200 that you should skip. Users also report that there is shutter delay with older ipads, I have the newest. I'll be checking the range and how that might affect the controls as
...Show more
Whats the diff between the iusbportcamera2 and camranger?

May 16, 2015 at 01:39 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.