Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Fly By...

troylim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fly By...

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8833/17618265322_016d5e060e_o.jpg

I just got an update that one of the adults has brought one of the fledgling to the perch in the BG.
It is nice to hear that they are growing up and the adult is staying nearby.
Another fly by...
1/250, f/18, ISO1600, Flashes, camera and flashes triggered remotely using cable release.

Edited on May 13, 2015 at 09:59 PM · View previous versions

May 13, 2015 at 08:47 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fly By...

This is a super photo Troy. You have a winning formula and have worked it well. It is great to hear the chicks are doing well

Morris

May 13, 2015 at 09:13 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fly By...

Another winner Troy ~ Ron

May 13, 2015 at 09:58 PM
sibirdie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fly By...

Well,done, keep us posted.

May 14, 2015 at 05:44 AM
troylim
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fly By...

Thank you guys.

May 15, 2015 at 01:48 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fly By...

Love the drama, the captured pose is full of intent! Very cool...
-Cam

May 15, 2015 at 03:39 PM
pdmilesjr
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fly By...

A lot of thought went into this and it is a great shot!

May 15, 2015 at 03:45 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fly By...

Troy,

How often can you actually use your flash setup before you finally scare away the animals for good? I was taught that using flash on critters in the wild is one of the biggest no-no's of nature photography.

-Phil

May 15, 2015 at 05:38 PM
troylim
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fly By...

PhilPDX wrote:
Troy,

How often can you actually use your flash setup before you finally scare away the animals for good? I was taught that using flash on critters in the wild is one of the biggest no-no's of nature photography.

-Phil

Phil, this pair has been nesting at the same area for 8 years. I have been photographing them for the last 4 years.
All my shots came from a 4 nights I spent there, no more than 2 hours each night.
Thank you for your concern, they are doing just fine. As matter of fact, my friend told me one of the adults was with the baby in the tree behind this image two days ago.
I have photographed a few pairs in the last few years. They all come back to nest at the same spot. http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/bp/guidelines

May 15, 2015 at 06:04 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fly By...

troylim wrote:
Thank you for your concern, they are doing just fine.

Concerned a bit, but in this case I was actually more curious how you'd managed to take flash images of those owls without scaring them away...

Thanks for the link, by the way. CornellLab seems to share my thoughts since they specifically point out that
"greater care should be taken when photographing birds that are actively feeding at night."

Great shot

-Phil

May 15, 2015 at 06:25 PM
troylim
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fly By...

PhilPDX wrote:
Concerned a bit, but in this case I was actually more curious how you'd managed to take flash images of those owls without scaring them away...

Thanks for the link, by the way. CornellLab seems to share my thoughts since they specifically point out that
"greater care should be taken when photographing birds that are actively feeding at night."

Great shot

-Phil

Phil, I don't put my subjects in harm's way to get the shots. Conrad has photographed this nest with me.
Eastern Screech owls are often nesting in the urban area in Florida. The key here is to understand their feeding pattern and behaviors. That is 90% of the work, the rest are technical stuff.
With these images, I have also been to some nests that didn't give me images like the one posted. When I go out, I don't spend more than 2 hours each evening so that they continue to hunt and feed.
My flashes are triggered remotely.

May 15, 2015 at 06:50 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fly By...

troylim wrote:
I don't put my subjects in harm's way to get the shots.

Of course not. Sorry if I came across differently; that was not my intention. I was genuinely curious how you managed to not scare away the animals.

I have to admit though that I'm always a bit sceptical when I see outstanding images such as yours. Too many photographers baiting Snowy Owls, too many people trampling across the land to grab a picture of a Burrowing Owl, too many folks ruining it for everybody else because they are overly ambitious to get that one shot that tops everything, I guess. Not pointing the finger at you -- just generally speaking (or ranting...).

-Phil

May 15, 2015 at 07:19 PM
troylim
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fly By...

PhilPDX wrote:
Of course not. Sorry if I came across differently; that was not my intention. I was genuinely curious how you managed to not scare away the animals.

I have to admit though that I'm always a bit sceptical when I see outstanding images such as yours. Too many photographers baiting Snowy Owls, too many photographers trampling across the land to grab a picture of a Burrowing Owl, too many folks ruining it for everybody else because they are overly ambitious to get a shot that tops everything, I guess. Not pointing the finger at you -- just generally speaking (or ranting...).

-Phil

No problem at all, no offense taken. I've had a handful of people attacking me since I started getting the serious of night owl shots.
I always shoot with my friend Mark or other photographers. I have a clear conscience and I know my shots were achieved. It is laughable because the same people that have attacked me personally all have pictures of owls taken using flash. It is ok for them to do it but not for others. I've learned that hypocrisy is a big thing in this field in the last few years.
I am no saint in breaking the rules when I first started shooting in 2010, i admit that. But most attackers relied on online reading material instead of going out and actually experiment and learning the subject before passing judgement.

May 15, 2015 at 07:33 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fly By...

lovely shots, troy. you rock the owl shots, way to go troy

May 15, 2015 at 07:54 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fly By...

Nice effect here Troy. It's been shown that unless you are using continuous flash that owl hunting is not effected. The owls keep nesting successfully, so that must mean something!!! Ask Morris the flash guru. Far worse things are done to birds and their habitat than what even so called "inconsiderate" photographers do.
Don

May 15, 2015 at 11:23 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fly By...

very nice Troy

May 16, 2015 at 04:14 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.