Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Road trip from Toronto to PNW and back.. help!

xmikex

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Road trip from Toronto to PNW and back.. help!

Hey guys!

I've been planning a road trip for the end of the month with girlfriend from Australia.
I have most of the trip figured out, but i was hoping to benefit from all of your expertise about specific trails/landmarks that we should check out when we're there! Even which campsites are the best at the parks we're stopping at! Also, suggestions for the drives through the midwest, since it doesn't seem like there's all that much

29th - Mt Rushmore
31-3 - Yellowstone
5 - Portland
6 - seattle
7-11 - Olympic
then taking the ferry to victoria>nanaimo>squamish> revelstoke
12-16 - Banff
17-20 - Glacier
then heading home

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

May 13, 2015 at 08:06 PM
Dave R.
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Road trip from Toronto to PNW and back.. help!

Between Portland and Seattle is Mt. Saint Helens National volcanic Park. You will use a good part of the day for this but going from Portland to MSH to Seattle in a day is very possible. Once in the Seattle area perhaps research Mt. Rainier. That could take most of a day and more time to spend in Seattle at the waterfront is recommended. Time is a factor apparently so if it was me I would shorten the time in the Olympics and give MSH and Rainier some time. Thats just my take. Have a great time and be safe.

May 17, 2015 at 08:20 AM
Scott T
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Road trip from Toronto to PNW and back.. help!

wow, that is a lot of driving! There's always stuff to see, even in the Midwest...but I'd recommend spending your time on the Pacific coast since it's so far.

Yellowstone can be surprisingly cold still, pack some warm clothes.
We got stuck in the snow once when we were there for Memorial Day.

There's a lot to see in the PNW, you'll just scratch the surface. In my neck of the woods, Portland's three most popular attractions would take three full days, the Columbia river gorge ending (or beginning) at Mt Hood, the city itself (and our awesome beer and food), and the coast. There's a wealth of activities and photo opps. great camping in the gorge and the coast.

If you're into desertscapes more than waterfalls (after waterfall, after waterfall), the painted hills are a great alternative.

The linked pics are from my friend Rob, he's a talented photographer.

The Olympics are nice, but given your packed agenda and that you're going to Banff and the Canadian rockies that are a lot more impressive, is there something specific you want to see? That part of the coast is overcast year round, so if you're into giant trees and fog, it's great. It's not much fun if you're in a tent...everything is damp.

If you haven't been, the San Juan islands are remarkable, you're in the rain shadow, should be nice weather and amazing views. You can ferry there from multiple Washington locations and I believe there's a ferry directly to Victoria. Plenty of camping options.

May 22, 2015 at 12:33 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Road trip from Toronto to PNW and back.. help!

Weather in May will be a significant factor for you. Yellowstone may have lots of snow still, not sure what limits it may impose. I would normally recommend Mt Rainier for a couple days, but again, snow may hamper activity. I know the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier usually opens in June or July, you may not get to drive all the way over it. Still, Many Glacier Valley and Two Medicine Valley (on east side) are good spots to visit.

In summer, all the parks have great campgrounds, not sure about May. Check the park websites to get a feel.

You don't mention Columbia River Gorge, but I highly recommend some time there.

May 23, 2015 at 11:33 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.