New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · B&H free shipping to Canada

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B&H free shipping to Canada

on orders over $99. Since many of us Canucks buy Canon gear, it is relevant to this forum.

I still like to purchase from Camera Canada or other Canadian dealers, but this certainly can lure some to B&H, with whom I have had excellent service.

Checkout examples shown below for a $349 item made in Japan. Although the one box is named "Duties & Taxes", you can see that there appears to be no duty. I would have to pay the $17.45 GST regardless of whether item was bought in U.S. or Canada. So $11.28 for Purolator delivery to my door with no charges upon delivery is pretty reasonable.

Not exactly free.

Edited on May 14, 2015 at 12:59 AM · View previous versions

May 13, 2015 at 02:50 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B&H free shipping to Canada

Imagemaster wrote:
on orders over $99. Since many of us Canucks buy Canon gear, it is relevant to this forum.

I still like to purchase from Camera Canada or other Canadian dealers, but this certainly can lure some to B&H, with whom I have had excellent service.

The shipping isn't actually free - but they do take about $10 off of the total shipping & handling costs. They've been offering this for several months now.

May 13, 2015 at 02:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B&H free shipping to Canada

There are very few items that are even worth buying in the US at this point in time based on our currency. Maybe still better for memory cards, batteries and other accessory type items but no way is it worth it for lenses and bodies.

They still charge duties and other handling so the deal isn't that great.

May 13, 2015 at 03:38 PM
khurram1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B&H free shipping to Canada

arbitrage wrote:
There are very few items that are even worth buying in the US at this point in time based on our currency. Maybe still better for memory cards, batteries and other accessory type items but no way is it worth it for lenses and bodies.

They still charge duties and other handling so the deal isn't that great.

it's still significanlty cheaper to buy accessories, like batteries, Filters, and battery cards. The filters and batteries even after duty and brokerage are over 25% less than Canada and the memory cards on sale were less than half of the price as in Canada.

With CPS, lenses and bodies aren't worth buying from the USA.

May 13, 2015 at 08:04 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B&H free shipping to Canada

Not sure what these duties some say are charged. I have never been charged duty on a single photo item in the last ten years. Brokerage fees have been minimal or zero when receiving gear sent by USPS/Canada Post.

May 13, 2015 at 08:13 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B&H free shipping to Canada

molson wrote:
The shipping isn't actually free - but they do take about $10 off of the total shipping & handling costs. They've been offering this for several months now.

All I know is that they say FREE shipping and "We are writing to inform you of our recently upgraded shipping policy for orders to Canada.

I don't know if there have been recent changes, but I received their email yesterday.

http://link.bandh.com/YesConnect/HtmlMessagePreview?a=1jG2Sev1AVXb4YGjfN88uh

May 13, 2015 at 08:26 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B&H free shipping to Canada

Imagemaster wrote:
Not sure what these duties some say are charged. I have never been charged duty on a single photo item in the last ten years. Brokerage fees have been minimal or zero when receiving gear sent by USPS/Canada Post.

Free shipping is offered, but you still need to pay brokerage, duty if applicable and taxes if you choose to have B&H to arrange for brokerage.

items not manufactured in the USA get charged duty. My last order, duty was charged for the battery, filters and memory cards i purchased since none were manufactured in the USA/Canada. When you choose for B&H to arrange for brokerage (via Purolator), taxes and duty is collected at time of sale.

for small orders and have items shipped via USA/Canada post, for smaller dollar amounts, occasionally, Canada post doesn't bother to charge their handling fee, or taxes. I've been annoyed at times, when taxes (GST) are only around $6, but the Canada Post handling fee is higher.

May 13, 2015 at 09:16 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · B&H free shipping to Canada

Again, I have ordered many new cameras, lenses, etc., all of which were made in Japan or Asia, and never been charged duty once in the last ten years.

I usually do not buy from a seller that will only ship by UPS or FedEx due to their rip-off brokerage fees.

Received a Canon body from the U.S. by USPS/Canada Post last week and there was no duty charged, no brokerage fee charged, and this time they did not even charge tax.

May 13, 2015 at 09:55 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · B&H free shipping to Canada

I was thinking about ordering a 7D Mark II, so I looked online at B&H in the states and Henry's in Canada.

Henry's offers the camera for $1799 (CAN) plus free shipping for orders over $99, plus 12% tax for a total of $2015 in Canadian funds, no exchange rate fee.

B&H offers the camera for $1699 (US) plus free shipping for orders over $99, but there is also a $100.43 Customs Clearance fee for a total of $2161 in Canadian funds, plus credit card exchange rate fee.

They both offer a free camera bag and a spare battery as part of the deal, Henry's gives a real Canon battery, B&H gives a Watson battery.

Clearly, Henry's is a much better deal saving $150 over that of B&H.

May 14, 2015 at 06:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · B&H free shipping to Canada

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Clearly, Henry's is a much better deal saving $150 over that of B&H.

IMO, having a local "brick and mortar" supplier is worth spending more than it would cost to buy from away. Getting it for less from a local shop is a no brainer.

May 14, 2015 at 07:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · B&H free shipping to Canada

"Security and Handling"...

I guess that's for the guy riding shotgun.

May 14, 2015 at 07:19 PM
BasilSavage

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · B&H free shipping to Canada

I've been ordering from BH for years. It's great that they are offering free shipping but until the Can $ get's back into the upper 90 cent range with the US $ it makes no fiscal sense to buy from BH or Adorama at the present time for most Canadians.

Our domestic suppliers are cheaper than the US ones purely because of exchange rates. That will change!

May 14, 2015 at 08:02 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · B&H free shipping to Canada

Yeah it used to be $10 for the purorlator option plus the extras that Tony now shows in the OP. So you save $10. But the marketing is top notch

May 14, 2015 at 08:05 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · B&H free shipping to Canada

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I was thinking about ordering a 7D Mark II, so I looked online at B&H in the states and Henry's in Canada.

Henry's offers the camera for $1799 (CAN) plus free shipping for orders over $99, plus 12% tax for a total of $2015 in Canadian funds, no exchange rate fee.

B&H offers the camera for $1699 (US) plus free shipping for orders over $99, but there is also a $100.43 Customs Clearance fee for a total of $2161 in Canadian funds, plus credit card exchange rate fee.

They both offer a free camera bag and a spare battery as part of the
...Show more

I also was given a CPS discount on the 7DII even though I thought that was reserved for 1-series bodies. So if you are CPS it won't hurt to ask. I had ordered the 100-400II at the same time and quoted my CPS # for the lens but ended up with a discount on the body also.

May 14, 2015 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.