FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sun bounce?

Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sun bounce?

Has anyone used this product for weddings? I'm very interested and would like to see who's used these... Some people complained that they're flimsy. Does anyone know any alternatives to this? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/904991-REG/California_Sunbounce_c_bws_b410_Bounce_Wall_Complete_Set.html

May 13, 2015 at 10:03 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sun bounce?

"By positioning the head of your speedlight to flash toward the BOUNCE-WALL you will have the softer effect of bounced light on your subject and because the BOUNCE-WALL is positioned significantly above and away from the camera,"

It's 8x11 inches so you will not have the softer effect of bounced light.

If you are in a situation where you need directional light and it needs to be soft use off camera flash with a softlighter or a softbox. Either could not be more to set up than this thing.

If you need to bounce in a situation where there are no walls you would get better light bouncing off of a $20 43 inch reflector off of ebay. If for a few shots get your second or a groomsman to hold it. If for a series of images where the setup needs to remain get a stand and holder for it.

May 13, 2015 at 10:51 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sun bounce?

It's 8x11 inches so you will not have the softer effect of bounced light.

You absolutely will have softer bounced light. Just not enough of it (softness) to make it worth your while.

Hanging an 8.5x11 panel off your camera seems pretty ridiculous to me.

As for alternatives, I prefer this: http://unprojects.org.au/content/1.magazine/4.issues/5.issue-6-1/8.it-s-all-wall-a-recent-history-of-the-wall-in-contemporary-art-practice/panigirakis2.jpg

May 13, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Werne1nm
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sun bounce?

Lightsphere?

May 13, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sun bounce?

mikethevilla wrote:
You absolutely will have softer bounced light. Just not enough of it (softness) to make it worth your while.

Hanging an 8.5x11 panel off your camera seems pretty ridiculous to me.

As for alternatives, I prefer this: http://unprojects.org.au/content/1.magazine/4.issues/5.issue-6-1/8.it-s-all-wall-a-recent-history-of-the-wall-in-contemporary-art-practice/panigirakis2.jpg

Yeeeah, I don't always have that option So it looks like a pretty ridiculous thing to use at weddings, eh?

May 13, 2015 at 12:27 PM
Scott Snyder
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sun bounce?

I've used it and love it. It creates very soft directional light - in certain limited circumstances. Shooting head and shoulders portraits from close to the subject. It would not be my first choice of lighting, but in a situation where you want easy direction light from an on camera flash it works well. I use it in E-sessions and getting ready shots, and often in casual event shooting.

That said, I do not use it in weddings or receptions. In the ceremony I am rarely close enough to the bride and groom to use it effectively. In receptions, it is in the way. It hangs off and above the camera in an awkward way. An it feels flimsy. I've not broken one, but I'm surprised.

May 13, 2015 at 12:39 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sun bounce?

"You absolutely will have softer bounced light. Just not enough of it (softness) to make it worth your while"

No you won't. The softness of the light is due to the fact that the size of the light source is increased when you bounce off of a wall or ceiling, not because it is bounced.

May 13, 2015 at 10:24 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sun bounce?

Chris Fawkes wrote:
"You absolutely will have softer bounced light. Just not enough of it (softness) to make it worth your while"

No you won't. The softness of the light is due to the fact that the size of the light source is increased when you bounce off of a wall or ceiling, not because it is bounced.

Exactly. It's an 8.5x11" bounce board. Which is bigger than 2" of direct flash.

So it'll be softer than a bare flash, but like I said, not nearly soft enough to be useful (and certainly not anywhere close to a wall or ceiling).

May 14, 2015 at 03:45 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sun bounce?

Elijah wrote:
Yeeeah, I don't always have that option So it looks like a pretty ridiculous thing to use at weddings, eh?

Absolutely (in my opinion).

When I don't have walls at my disposal, I'm running off camera flash, possibly with an umbrella or small softbox if I think I have room.

For $50 per wedding you can rent a VAL (most often found at college campuses) and have it follow you around with a flash + umbrella on a stick.

May 14, 2015 at 03:48 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sun bounce?

It will soften the light but at that size you may need a magnifying glass to see any difference between that and direct flash. A waste of time really.

I have to say of all the light modifiers i've seen that one looks like it would be the most awkward to set up. That alone would put me off.

May 14, 2015 at 09:28 AM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sun bounce?

Actually, there will be difference for portraits and you WILL see the difference between barebulb and this panel. In fact, I see the difference between bare flash and lightsphere.
However, subjects need to be very close(portraits). If you are taking picture of a large bridal party group, I doubt you'll see it though.

May 14, 2015 at 11:02 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sun bounce?

I'll repost the line from the website.

"By positioning the head of your speedlight to flash toward the BOUNCE-WALL you will have the softer effect of bounced light on your subject and because the BOUNCE-WALL is positioned significantly above and away from the camera,"

That line is intended to give potential buyers the idea that this thing will give them the same end result they can expect if they were indoor bouncing light of ceilings or a wall.

Anyone expecting that will be disappointed.

I'm catching up with a mate tonight. Might do some test with bare flash and flash bounced off an 8x11 card and post results. Or we might just drink beer. See how we go.

May 15, 2015 at 12:22 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sun bounce?

Cannot form an opinion without knowing what your goal is, if you have a ceiling; and if so, what color it is, or how high it is. If there's a reasonable ceiling to use, I'd just get a bounce card for the flash... like the FlipIt. I've had no problem using one of those when needed for nearly a decade now. Oh, and it's only about $20-30.

May 15, 2015 at 12:39 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sun bounce?

learn to shoot with one hand and keep small foldable reflector hanging off of you.
way less clumsy, way more portable and less awkward as well

May 16, 2015 at 03:05 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sun bounce?

Are you prepared for people to ask you what the heck that is? I have enough people asking me why my flash is pointed up.

May 20, 2015 at 09:28 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sun bounce?

Robin Usagani wrote:
Are you prepared for people to ask you what the heck that is? I have enough people asking me why my flash is pointed up.

I was just curious on what people thought about it. I definitely won't buy one of these things!

May 20, 2015 at 03:45 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sun bounce?

Kittyk wrote:
learn to shoot with one hand and keep small foldable reflector hanging off of you.
way less clumsy, way more portable and less awkward as well

Word. I've been known to grab a plate, napkin or other white object to bounce my light off of.

May 20, 2015 at 04:31 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sun bounce?

do not buy that thing. Everything california sunbounce makes is overpriced.

May 24, 2015 at 11:24 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sun bounce?

I cannot imagine ever shooting with a contraction like this attached to my camera. Aside from the setup and logistical problems smacking people with it it doesn't look like it gets the light coming any further off camera than just holding a flash in your hand.

One thing I have tried is bouncing light off people's white shirts, just don't blind them! No ideal given it isn't coming from an angle but works when really stuck and the size is large enough to get away with it.

May 25, 2015 at 06:41 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.