Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

tonyhart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

Hi guys,

Wherever possible, when I haven't shot a venue before, I try and do a site visit ahead of time to get my bearings and scope things out. When places are far flung it's not always doable but I find it helps if I can do the visit before my final pre-wedding meeting with the client so I have a bit of a mental map when we discuss the day.

Generally this is very straightforward to arrange. I ring the venue, explain who I am and we arrange a mutually convenient time. Had a weird first time experience today while doing this. I phoned a venue that is literally spitting distance from me (less than 5miles away) but where I've never shot previously. They simply would not arrange a meeting with me (despite the fact that in their own advice to video and photographers it suggests that Weds is best for them) and insisted that the visit be arrange BY my client. It wasn't that onerous, but it seems bloody weird and completely pointless to require the client to do this for me. I was pretty amazed but they insist that this is usual business practice for them.

I've never experienced anything like this, not from much bigger and more impressive venues. Anyone else got a view. It's not the end of the world but I found it unnecessarily exasperating!

May 13, 2015 at 06:27 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

tonyhart wrote:
Anyone else got a view.

I would put it down to a miscommunication on their part, or simply there being a 'bag egg' involved, probably the person you spoke to (if not, someone above them). That seems most likely, but either way, not a lot you can do about it and it's certainly not on you, so don't sweat it.

I have personally always left this thing up to the clients. I mention such a meeting, and coordinating it with their final visit to the venue. As you mention, it's not always necessary or possible to do it at the venue, but this almost always gets done. When I first started I used to be very insistent on meeting at the venue but as time passes I realise it's less important and can even be 'more work' for the clients when some might prefer an easier process. I just judge it and see how people are. If it's a bit of an unknown to me I will scout for portrait locations independently (their input is useless at that point to me unless it's an area of personal significance)... but if we're not doing any portraits, less work for me!

May 13, 2015 at 06:38 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to meet with the clients there, just scout the venue by myself, ahead of a meeting with the client.

I too sometimes meet clients at venues, but not in this instance. It's definitely a venue policy though as I've spoken to three people there this morning organizing a visit. Way more laborious than it needs to be - for all involved!

I'm not sweating it too much - bride is lovely and totally chill but still a bit weird!

May 13, 2015 at 06:53 AM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

Whats the venue Tony? I may have a gallery to link you to.

Years ago I used to make appointments to visit but I found I got messed around a lot in terms of when they would be available. In practice we don't need guided tours so now I just turn up and take pot luck; that enables me to work very efficiently as I can often visit several venues in half a day. If its a venue that does a lot of weekday corporate stuff I might time my visit to late afternoon when most function rooms will be finished with. Even if they are still in use a quick look through a glass panel in a door is often enough to get the measure of the room.

I find that co-ordinators don't really have much to contribute for my express purposes and I'd rather wander around alone. I'm looking for where the sun will be, what flower borders look good for backdrops for formals, what areas might be wet underfoot and unsuitable for the ladies in high heels etc., inside what areas might work well if the weather is poor. What areas might have building work underway. And in my own case how close I can get with the car if I'm to be carrying a load of video gear.

I now often do recces early on the day of the wedding as this is the most reliable way of ascertaining what the conditions are likely to be on the day. Last saturday I visited the church before going to the hotel to shoot the getting ready. That enabled me to arrange a reserved parking space - essential in the centre of St Albans - and also find out from the priest that the ceremony time had been put back from 12pm to 1:30pm at the last moment.

I don't tend to do venue visits with the couple unless they particularly want that, and if so I try to tie it in with a visit they may have themselves already arranged.

I'm guessing that the venue in question assumed you would want a guided tour and be taking a big bite out of their day for no benefit to themselves. Just a misunderstanding.

Pete

Edited on May 13, 2015 at 06:56 AM · View previous versions

May 13, 2015 at 06:54 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

Sorry Tony I did misunderstand a little. If you are just wanting to visit independently then they are friggin' moronic!

May 13, 2015 at 06:55 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

I wouldn't push it with the client, just show up and shoot.

May 13, 2015 at 06:58 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

I always get the client to do this for likelihood of compliance. The venue has almost zero interest in helping you but every interest in servicing a client paying big bucks to have their wedding there.

It is better doing with the couple anyway since they can talk through the wedding. Beyond what, where, when so much about their preferences can get picked up.

ashton lamont wrote:
I now often do recces early on the day of the wedding as this is the most reliable way of ascertaining what the conditions are likely to be on the day. Last saturday I visited the church before going to the hotel to shoot the getting ready.

Yes, I also make a habit to do this.

Edited on May 13, 2015 at 07:00 AM · View previous versions

May 13, 2015 at 06:58 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

Pete, will DM the venue name to you. Don't want it visible on here.

I don't want a 'show around'. I just want to wander the place on my own. I'm calling for a couple of reasons:

- Courtesy
- To ensure that I don't walk into another event or have a wasted visit due to other things going on
- Make myself known to the venue staff so that if they want to mention anything they can.

I don't go on the morning of the wedding because I may want to discuss elements of the geography with the B&G ahead of the date and I sometimes start really early with the Bride and don't want to make the start earlier than needs be!

May 13, 2015 at 07:00 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

Worth saying that a LOT of my clients want to know whether I make a point of visiting venues ahead of time. It's something they actively seek. Also, a lot of venues have been positive about reece visits. Not always, but I'd say 50% of the time it gets a strongly favorable reaction. At worst they're usually apathetic. These guys weren't unpleasant at all, just a strange method for arranging venue visits I found.

May 13, 2015 at 07:20 AM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

PM'd you Tony with a couple of galleries.

I don't go on the morning of the wedding because I may want to discuss elements of the geography with the B&G ahead of the date and I sometimes start really early with the Bride and don't want to make the start earlier than needs be!

I make a lot of use of Google maps and street view these days. I look at the geography and distances etc using a maps terrain mode; that can be good even to work out where the sun and areas in shade might be. I use street view to check the look of the approach and even check out any onstreet parking restrictions on the signs. I also use street view to check the data they have given me is correct. For example last Saturday they gave me the wrong name for the church but I realised that. The two limo drivers were not so lucky and went to the wrong church. One was driving a stretched Hummer so he had a load of grief getting to the right place.

I've found for the past couple of years that many brides aren't that interested any more in lots of getting ready coverage. They seem to be more into it starting once they are well on the way to being the finished article - before they've put the dress on though. Its a long time since I've been to a hair salon at 8 in the morning :- )

I make a point of visiting venues ahead of time. It's something they actively seek

I don't find they look for that but many are very strong on only using vendors that know their venue having worked there before.

Pete

May 13, 2015 at 07:25 AM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

Seems strange, but I wouldn't look too far into it. When I have an upcoming wedding at a venue I've never shot at before, I will always check it out online. Most of the time I can get a good feel for what I will need to do. If the venue is different than the norm, and I feel I need to check it out in person, I will. If I do go to check it out in person, I find it much more beneficial to do so with the bride & groom, so I can see what their vision is, and we can collaborate. Much of the time, though, our schedules conflict since they tend to only be available on the weekends when I have weddings.

May 13, 2015 at 08:34 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

I'd just show up an hour early on game day.

May 13, 2015 at 09:37 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Site Visit - Organised by Client?

Cheers for the input guys, interesting to hear a multiplicity of views. I visited the venue this avo and they were very helpful while I was there. Lovely setting too. The only thing they failed to tell me (which I've subsequently learnt - cheers Pete) was that they only allow access to the gardens up until the wedding breakfast starts - which is a bit of a shame. I prefer to take the B&G for portraits after the WB when it's a summer wedding. Still, what can you do!

None of it's a big issue really, just interesting to come across the 'client arranges site visit' thing. I think the thing for me is this. If a videographer or venue called me and asked me some questions, or wanted to pop past and chat something over I'd say sure. Can't think of a reason not too. I'd not ask them to call the client, get the client to call me and then have them setup the meeting. Seems unnecessary and entirely arse-about-tit!

May 13, 2015 at 09:40 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.