1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

uz2work wrote:
My experience with Zone and Wide Zone has been that, if it detects something closer to the camera than the intended subject, it will lock onto it, which is what you would expect since it gives priority to objects closest to the camera, but, even though I haven't experienced it myself, I've seen others post pictures using Zone and Wide Zone where the camera locked onto something behind the intended subject. I think that that is because, even though priority is given to what is closest to the camera, other factors, including contrast, are also considered when the AF system
...Show more

The bird like the mallards needed to be fairly large within the zone. I have tried it with smaller birds and it does grab the background. Usually I'm still using either single point or 8-pt expanded (or 4-pt if I'm at f/8 nominal).

May 14, 2015 at 07:59 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

arbitrage wrote:
The bird like the mallards needed to be fairly large within the zone. I have tried it with smaller birds and it does grab the background. Usually I'm still using either single point or 8-pt expanded (or 4-pt if I'm at f/8 nominal).

My most commonly used focus point selection mode has been 8 point expansion, and I've been very pleased with how well it holds focus on the subject. On the handful of occasions when I've used 65 point auto selection in servo, I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it has held focus on the subject, and it has been able to do so with even very busy backgrounds. That is why I wish that, with zone and wide zone modes, there was an option that allowed the user to select the initial focus point. With that option, I could find lots of use for those two modes, but, with the only option being to allow the camera to decide what to focus on initially, I doubt that I would ever be able to fully trust either zone or wide zone mode.

May 14, 2015 at 08:25 PM
gqllc007
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

Thang wrote:
unfortunately, so far with indoor shots this evening, I have found absolutely no improvement what-so-ever. Preliminary shots taken indoor with 85 1.8 lens at wide open seem to be the same before/after the firmware update. Tripod mounted with tracking sensitivity setting ranging from -2 to +2 on static subject.

Interestingly, after few hundred shots, I have noticed the following:

In "one shot" AF mode, images are tack sharp whether the drive is set to single or burst.

BUT in "AI servo" AF mode, images are tack sharp IF I take "one shot at a time" whether the drive is set to
...Show more
Mine with the update is identical to yours...everything is tack sharp until an object is moving

May 14, 2015 at 08:44 PM
fremen93

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

Thanks for posting this.
Makes me realize I'm not alone.

I was also really sad about my Canon 7D2 not being able to take sharp pictures with my Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART lens...but after the 1.04 Firmware update, the difference using AF single shot focus and various peripheral pionts in spot AF mode is night and day difference.
I actually think I had 99% in focus.. maybe 100% out of 229 pictures taken outdoors in overcast conditions.
I shot in AV mode...and I'm so happy with the way these came out!

I was about to take my 7D2 to canon service center and ask them to check its focus system....
but after this firmware update i think I'm fine now.

granted, I don't use AI SERVO much...so haven't tested that mode at all

May 17, 2015 at 04:29 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

fremen93 wrote:
granted, I don't use AI SERVO much...so haven't tested that mode at all

Of course, its fair to say that most users bought this camera precisely for its AF system and frame rate ....

Edited on May 17, 2015 at 04:13 PM · View previous versions

May 17, 2015 at 06:39 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

Why not just buy the 70D then? Cheaper than a 7D Mark II

May 17, 2015 at 08:44 AM
juststeve
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

I am able to choose the starting focus point with my 7Dii in any of the wide zone focus modes while in AI servo.

Here is how. In Menu, go to AF 4 and then go down to Initial AFpt AI Servo AF, click set to enter where you will be presented with three choices. Manual (bunch of little boxes) AF pt and a push of set will get you there, viola, with the ability to select the start point for the zone focus choices.

There is more info on page 93 of the manual.

May 17, 2015 at 01:21 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

lowa2 wrote:
...I think that saying that the 70-200II lens had focus problems around 100mm is a dead giveaway that there was something wrong.

Interesting. I never saw any threads about focus issues with the 70-200 @ 100mm.

May 17, 2015 at 02:11 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

juststeve wrote:
I am able to choose the starting focus point with my 7Dii in any of the wide zone focus modes while in AI servo.

Here is how. In Menu, go to AF 4 and then go down to Initial AFpt AI Servo AF, click set to enter where you will be presented with three choices. Manual (bunch of little boxes) AF pt and a push of set will get you there, viola, with the ability to select the start point for the zone focus choices.

There is more info on page 93 of the manual.

I'm afraid not. The setting that you point toward applies to when you are using the entire array of 65 AF points, and it will allow you to set the AF starting point when doing so, but it has nothing to do with Zone or Wide Zone, and when you are using Zone (15 points) or Wide Zone (25 points), that setting changes nothing. The only option for Zone or Wide Zone is to let the camera choose the AF point that will be used to start tracking.

With Zone and Wide Zone, you can move the position of the zone, but the AF point used within that zone is still selected automatically by the camera.

Edited on May 17, 2015 at 02:26 PM · View previous versions

May 17, 2015 at 02:13 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

@methodical

1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera's AF function may not operate properly at a focal length of approximately 100mm when used with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which, in rare instances, the reduction of the flicker effect cannot be achieved when in AI servo AF mode, despite the "Anti-flicker shoot" function being set to "Enable".
3. Fixes a phenomenon in which the Picture Style settings may not be applied to the captured image when the camera is set to custom shooting mode C1, C2 or C3.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which, in very rare cases, the first still image captured in live view mode may not record the correct date and time.
5. Fixes a phenomenon in which, in very rare cases, image noise may appear in JPEG images when brightness or contrast is corrected by the Auto Lighting Optimizer function.

May 17, 2015 at 02:14 PM
juststeve
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon 7D2 Firmware V1.04

uz2work.

I stand corrected. I only have tried the full zone to see how well it worked with iTR and knew the starting point could be selected then. Frankly, I never could see much utility for the other zones, and now that I know a starting point cannot be selected, I am pretty much sure they have no utility, at least for my use with wildlife and landscapes.

My choices are nearly all the time spot and 4 expanded and they work very well for me. My experiments with the iTR found it interesting but I have not used it since that one day at the local duck pond.

May 17, 2015 at 03:23 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.