Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

sgraafmans
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

I am in need of finding a reliable way to tether my older DSLR's, both 7D and 5D classic wireless.
I know there are a few option available today. Example Eyefi with CF card adapter etc. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Steve.

May 12, 2015 at 04:11 PM
CaseyChaos
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

I've used DSLR Controller paired with the TP-Link mini-router successfully. For the most part, I rely on the eye-fi card, though.

http://dslrcontroller.com/guide-wifi_mr3040.php

May 12, 2015 at 08:10 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

sgraafmans wrote:
I am in need of finding a reliable way to tether my older DSLR's, both 7D and 5D classic wireless.
I know there are a few option available today. Example Eyefi with CF card adapter etc. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Steve.

Having tried a wireless SD card in my 7D (via an adapter) I would say if your desire is to send RAW then I'd look elsewhere .
My card is by Transcend and its good for what it is but transfer speeds are not enough for RAW , and even sending jpegs if you shot a burst 1 or 2 may get missed out of the send .

May 13, 2015 at 01:40 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

Eye-Fi cards aren't available as compact flash, so for the 5 and 7D, that quest ends here. The camera's firmware wouldn't know what do do with it.

May 13, 2015 at 01:43 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

sirimiri wrote:
Eye-Fi cards aren't available as compact flash, so for the 5 and 7D, that quest ends here. The camera's firmware wouldn't know what do do with it.

NOT TRUE!!!

I used my SD wireless in a CF/SD adapter . and many others do as well

Camera didn't need to know what to do with it . you just set the card up using an APP and then could connect to it and transfer would happen whenever you took an image .

Transcends APP is rubbish though (just use it to set the card up) . I used shutter snitch which is a paid app (quite expensive as apps go) which was much better .

but again I will say RAW transfer isn't a good idea as transfer speeds are not great

May 13, 2015 at 01:53 AM
sgraafmans
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

Thank you all for that info, yes I am aware the CF adapter is available for Eyefi SD.
One of these days I should think about parting with some cash and update.
I believe the Canon 6D is WiFi.

May 13, 2015 at 02:52 AM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

Canon 6D has wifi built in. It's a bit kludgy but it works for transferring the occasional image.

As others have mentioned, most wifi is slower than USB 2.0 as far as data transfer goes.

May 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM
CaseyChaos
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

I think it's a huge oversight or missing-of-the-mark for Canon to leave wifi off new models. Personally, I'd rather have wifi capabilities than gps capabilities on-board.

May 13, 2015 at 11:10 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

NOT TRUE!!!

I used my SD wireless in a CF/SD adapter . and many others do as well

Ah! Interesting. I couldn't get it to work on my 50D...not that I kept that body very long. From what you're saying, it does work in an adapter. I probably shouldn't have extrapolated my sample of 1 to such a generalization. Sometimes it's good to be wrong!

May 13, 2015 at 09:22 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

Eye-Fi has a new 32gb SD card (10 speed) that will transfer RAW files. Their chart says the 7D and 5D aren't compatible but that is probably because they are both CF cards only. $99

I use the CamRanger and it works great. The App that works with it has plenty of features to allow you to control primary camera still and video functions remotely from a PC, MAC, iPad or IPhone and it will transfer files. I know it supports the 7D but unfortunately not the 5D. It uses the USB port. $300

CamRanger

Manfrotto has a new product that is similar to the CamRanger but I think it is designed just for the iPad. I can't speak for what cameras it supports. However, it's not a true wireless product since it requires being physically tethered to an iPad which you then wirelessly transfer files. It seems to be a very good iPad based remote but if you are going to be shooting tethered, why not just use a laptop? Available in June for $500-ish

May 13, 2015 at 09:59 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

Konablue wrote:
Eye-Fi has a new 32gb SD card (10 speed) that will transfer RAW files. Their chart says the 7D and 5D aren't compatible but that is probably because they are both CF cards only. $99

I use the CamRanger and it works great. The App that works with it has plenty of features to allow you to control primary camera still and video functions remotely from a PC, MAC, iPad or IPhone and it will transfer files. I know it supports the 7D but unfortunately not the 5D. It uses the USB port. $300

CamRanger

Manfrotto has a new product that is similar
...Show more

My Transcend Card CAN send RAW files as well . But thats not to say you will want to . a raw from my 7D was typically 18-20mb which just took too long for each file to send .These things do not set up a very fast wireless network .
Its been a while since i bothered with it but I seem to remember setting it up so that it sent a jpeg and kept the raw file on card .

May 14, 2015 at 01:12 AM
luminaire
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wireless file transfer solutions???

If the cameras are doing static shooting e.g. in a studio then it would be possible to hack something together with a Beagle Bone or Raspberry Pi in an enclosure and connected to the USB port.

Script the computer to pull new files over USB and then shunt them via wifi to your file server. Or over ethernet if available.

World work with any vintage of camera and total cost per unit well under $100.

May 14, 2015 at 03:05 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.