New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · RSS Monopod Head

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RSS Monopod Head

Anyone here use the RRS Monopod Head, if so your thought please. And what about putting RRS Balhead on the monopod and using it instead?

Thanks

May 12, 2015 at 02:44 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RSS Monopod Head

do you already own the ballhead?

May 12, 2015 at 02:46 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RSS Monopod Head

A couple of BH-55s.

May 12, 2015 at 02:50 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RSS Monopod Head

I don't have an RRS monopod head, but a similar one. It works well because it limits the camera to a single plane of rotation. The ball head on a tripod works well because the tripod is freestanding, but with a monopod, one hand is required to hold the monopod which allows the other to manipulate the camera. What I'm basically saying is a ball head is basically a two-handed machine.
Douglas

May 12, 2015 at 02:53 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RSS Monopod Head

douter wrote:
I don't have an RRS monopod head, but a similar one. It works well because it limits the camera to a single plane of rotation. The ball head on a tripod works well because the tripod is freestanding, but with a monopod, one hand is required to hold the monopod which allows the other to manipulate the camera. What I'm basically saying is a ball head is basically a two-handed machine.
Douglas

That makes sense to me, thanks.

May 12, 2015 at 02:57 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RSS Monopod Head

Funny you should ask, mine arrives today and I will let you know how it works....I needed to get one because I have bad tendinitis in my right elbow and can't hand hold at present.
Eric

May 12, 2015 at 03:20 PM
SHVv
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RSS Monopod Head

"Anyone here use the RRS Monopod Head"
IMO, for reasons stated above, a monopod head is much less annoying to use then a ballhead. I have the RRS and it is the usual well built RRS equipment.

Steve

May 12, 2015 at 03:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RSS Monopod Head

Here's some images of my RRS MH-01 and Feisol CM-1471 Rapid monopod. I also use the same head on my Manfrotto Neo-Tec monopod (one-handed collapse action), which I often prefer to use when I don't need the small folded size and light weight that the Feisol provides. Both monopods have an RRS lever QR base on top, which secures the MH-01 (which also has an RRS lever QR clamp on top).

© jcolwell 2015

© jcolwell 2015

© jcolwell 2015

© jcolwell 2015

© jcolwell 2015

May 12, 2015 at 03:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RSS Monopod Head

P.S. the default configuration for the RRS MH-01 with QR clamp is to have both the release lever or clamp (the gizmo) on the same side of the head as the azimuth clamp knob (the big one). For example, see

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Monopod-Heads/

After jamming my hand between the QR release gizmo (started with the knob) and the azimuth knob, I reversed the QR clamp and so now I always have the QR release gizmo on the side opposite from the azimuth knob.

May 12, 2015 at 03:30 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RSS Monopod Head

I have the MH-01 and really do like it . Easy to use , lens feels very secure on the head .

Birdie

May 12, 2015 at 04:59 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RSS Monopod Head

I use the MH-01 with lever release clamp on the RRS monopod for my 1DX with 200-400 for Sports Photography. Very nice setup for me either standing (I am 5'-10" and have about 6 or so inches remaining before maxing the height out) or sitting on an endline for basketball (monopod not extended). Having the tilt in the MH-01 is useful sometime to help get a good position for the foot of the monopod . . .). I also have a RRS ball head and wouldn't use it on the monopod - just too much potential movement at least for action shots. I would only use if it were going to be locked all of the time - wouldn't think of trying to change the position of the head with a big lens.

Andy

May 12, 2015 at 05:12 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RSS Monopod Head

I love it.

David

May 12, 2015 at 05:50 PM
Candor
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RSS Monopod Head

I've used the MH-01 with the lever release for my 500mm v1 for years and have hiked hundreds of miles with it slung over my shoulder on a monopod. A great piece of kit. Very solid.

Mike

May 12, 2015 at 06:01 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RSS Monopod Head

I have the RRS MH-01 and Feisol CM-1471 Rapid monopod. I screw the MH-01 directly to the the monopod, no QR plate needed. I shoot soccer with a D4 (and before that a D700) and 200-400 f/4 Lens and this works quite well. I find that I do not loosen the head, I keep it tight and simply tilt the entire rig slightly one way or the other if necessary. However, since I get low and shoot straight on at about waist height, I find no need to swing the camera up and down - only left and right.

May 12, 2015 at 06:02 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RSS Monopod Head

You can use a ballhead on a monopod, but you have to keep it locked down so it doesn't move side to side. And you might as well just mount the camera to the monopod and save the extra weight ~ Ron

May 12, 2015 at 06:33 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RSS Monopod Head

Just ordered the monopod head, already have a large RRS QR Clamp.
Thanks for all the replies.

May 12, 2015 at 07:39 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RSS Monopod Head

I use the RRS MH-02. I like it because I can change the position of the lever clamp as needed. I use this set up all the time. Best monopod head ever made.

May 13, 2015 at 11:13 AM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RSS Monopod Head

I use a lightweight video fluid head (manfrotto xpro-2w) on my monopod. The adjustable fluid drag allows you to leave the head unlocked when shooting so you can tilt your lens up or down at will without it flopping over.

May 15, 2015 at 03:38 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.