Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

jeetsukumaran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

AMAZING experience! So, I was using my kayak to stalk a Great Blue Heron in the marshes at the other end of the lake behind our house and the guy kept drifting deeper and deeper into the marsh, till I could not follow any more (less than a 10th of an inch water, and chock full of vegetation; next time, I am getting a push pole!). So I turn around to head back, when I see these guys almost right next to me! A pair of Sandhill Cranes. AWESOME!!! I spent a while photographing them, watching them alternative preen and forage. But folks, this is just part of it. What happened next is EVEN more remarkable. Stay tuned ....

(Note: I have, perhaps obviously, not done any noise reduction/removal on any of these. I am thinking I should? Masking out the foreground etc. is going to be some work. But I will say it is testimony to the 6D's high-ISO performance that these were taken at ISO 600 and then have had +0.8 to +1.2 EV added in post)

JS-20150509-202503-4

JS-20150509-202827-2

Edited on Jun 01, 2015 at 02:58 PM · View previous versions

May 11, 2015 at 11:24 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

lucky you; i see signs of a courtship dance coming up....

May 11, 2015 at 11:44 AM
louie champan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

Nice shooting, love to watch the courtship dances.

May 11, 2015 at 12:03 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

What a great opportunity in your own backyard. Regarding "high ISO performance," did you really mean ISO 600? This is not very high at all. If I understand correctly, you boosted the exposure in processing. That can work well for film, but not for digital: it will increase noise, and you have a lot of noise in these otherwise very nice images. The standard recommendation for reducing noise and blur is to use a higher ISO for adequate exposure at the shutter speed and aperture you need for this kind of shooting. Like most new digital cameras, the 6D should give you good images at a much higher ISO's than 600.

May 11, 2015 at 12:04 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

tntcorp wrote:
lucky you; i see signs of a courtship dance coming up....

louie champan wrote:
Nice shooting, love to watch the courtship dances.

Hi tntcorp and louie champan, I actually think the courtship dance was a while back, as this was a nesting pair with young! The "remarkable thing" is that I suddenly saw the chick make an appearance as can be seen here.

May 11, 2015 at 12:15 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

jdc562 wrote:
What a great opportunity in your own backyard. Regarding "high ISO performance," did you really mean ISO 600? This is not very high at all. If I understand correctly, you boosted the exposure in processing. That can work well for film, but not for digital: it will increase noise, and you have a lot of noise in these otherwise very nice images. The standard recommendation for reducing noise and blur is to use a higher ISO for adequate exposure at the shutter speed and aperture you need for this kind of shooting. Like most new digital cameras, the 6D should
...Show more

I meant ISO 1600, not 600.

Yes, the noise levels are pretty high, especially the OOF backgrounds!

The grain is still not yet at a distracting level, I think (or hope) at least on web images, but it is getting there! I am not looking forward to the noise reduction though. I think I would need to mask out the detailed areas and apply the NR to the background, but masking out all the vegetation etc. is going to be a pain!

May 11, 2015 at 12:19 PM
pdmilesjr
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

The noise is bothersome but these are great images.

May 11, 2015 at 01:17 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

Lovely shots !!! What a great experience it must have been.

Do think noise reduction in the background would be beneficial. I would just select the birds , inverse selection and do noise reduction on everything else

Birdie

May 11, 2015 at 02:48 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

I wish PS/LR might have a "Select the birds" tool!

But you are all correct about the noise. It needs to be dampened! Will do it.

May 11, 2015 at 07:19 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

Nice but noisy Jeet ~ Ron

May 11, 2015 at 08:51 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sandhill Cranes (Part 1)

surfnron wrote:
Nice but noisy Jeet ~ Ron

+1

May 12, 2015 at 03:56 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.