Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Fashion editing help please.

tonyfield
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fashion editing help please.

My friend Kat made an outfit for Everline. I did some quick shots since Everline looked so good - all 6' 4" of her. Of course I was stuck in my living room to shoot. It would have been easier if I had access to a studio.

I am trying to edit this but have not yet come up with something I like ... and I cannot figure out what to do with the carpet floor.

Maybe some of the editing wizards could help me on this .... please ...

http://pix.tphoto.ca/random/ever00.jpg

May 11, 2015 at 10:33 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fashion editing help please.

Hey Tony
No expert but I've been practicing some beauty editing and would like to give this a try.
Regards
Bud

May 11, 2015 at 10:45 AM
mannyherr
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fashion editing help please.

I'll give it a shot !

May 11, 2015 at 10:49 AM
paneraica
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fashion editing help please.

I suck at Photoshop, so I just whited out the whole background

Probably not what your looking for

DON

http://rlx.homestead.com/ever00.jpg

May 11, 2015 at 01:49 PM
billt

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fashion editing help please.

Hi Tony,
I think her black and white does not match well with a white wall. I would suggest changing the wall to say orange, and then change the carpet to brown. This may make the model stand out more. Just a thought.
BillT

May 11, 2015 at 04:00 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fashion editing help please.

paneraica wrote:
I suck at Photoshop, so I just whited out the whole background

Probably not what your looking for

Thanks Don. Agree the pure white background is not quite right. What I wound up doing is somewhat like that but with the carpet desaturated and lightened considerable ... but not completely white --- just to make the floor "real".
---------------------------------------------

billt wrote:
Hi Tony,
I think her black and white does not match well with a white wall. I would suggest changing the wall to say orange, and then change the carpet to brown. This may make the model stand out more. Just a thought.
BillT

Interesting, I tried this (actually using the skin tone colour as the background). I did not like this for the full length shots but for some of the close-ups, it works quite well.

May 12, 2015 at 09:30 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fashion editing help please.

Just having a little fun.

May 14, 2015 at 10:38 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fashion editing help please.

That is really good Bruce.... the colour works well. I tried something like that an failed miserably. Now with this sample, I think I will revisit my edits. Thanks a bunch.

May 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fashion editing help please.

Tony, great shot for not being in the studio!

A little bit of dynamics to take out the carpet here........

Karl

Edited on May 18, 2015 at 07:53 PM · View previous versions

May 15, 2015 at 10:52 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fashion editing help please.

Karl Witt wrote:
Tony, great shot for not being in the studio!

A little bit of dynamics to take out the carpet here........

Karl

Thanks Karl Good try. I always find replacing the floor (or the background) to be very difficult. It never seems to look real. Usually, the problems stem from perspective (which gives it a very artificial feeling with the subject "floating" on something false) and with lighting that does not match the subject.

May 16, 2015 at 01:58 PM
Ravitej
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fashion editing help please.

Use the pen tool to completely capture the floor and place it on a layer. Then use the same path to eliminate the floor in a duplicate layer of the image. Then isolate the wall as well (which it seems you already have. Image forward, wall and then floor. Duplicate the wall, change the color. Do it again and again. Turning colors on and off. Duplicate the floor / carpet. Change the levels, make it lighter and lighter. More contrast. Less. Etc. Put a layer of black over the carpet layer. Go back and forth with less and less opacity. Do the same with a white layer and back and forth on opacity until it all starts to happen. Do more layers with colored walls. Click back and forth. The garment has high contrast. Need some kind of contrast on the floor and wall. The yellow looks good. Play with the floor until it works. Might be dark, might be light. Might be more or less detail. There comes a moment when it just simply pops.

May 18, 2015 at 10:57 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fashion editing help please.

Thanks Ravitej,

I have exactly that process done on a couple of images. My problem is that I cannot get the image to pop in a way that I like. To my eyes, strong colours do not work. The closest thing I could do is this - and I am still not happy. I just don't have the eyes for colour

http://pix.tphoto.ca/random/eve11.jpg

May 18, 2015 at 11:33 PM
Ravitej
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fashion editing help please.

Move away from using any colors that come close to her color. Your biggest advantage is her color. Don't have anything even close to it in the background. No brown at all. She is simply beautiful and the color of the finest chocolate. So put in a background of any brighter color. Red. Then use the hue saturation and just start playing with color. You will arrive at a color that compliments her. Might be some shade of yellow. Or green. Or even blue. Or a muted red. Use the color hue, saturation and light dark to find the sweet spot. When you find it, she will simply pop off the page.

Jun 29, 2015 at 01:02 AM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fashion editing help please.

Problem is IMO that your processing is aimed at clearing up the shadow side of her face, which causes the rest of the colors/pictures look to lackluster and flat (makes e.g.het hair look gray, rather then black with possible highlights caused by reflecting some of the light)

I would simply use e..g. the 'Color Points' option in Nikon Capture NX (old 1998-2006 version, don't own nor am a fan of Photoshop and the likes) or similar option in any other processing program you have, to overall add more contrast and saturation, locally regain details in the shadow parts like face, stomach, arm in the shadow, pull down and saturate the highlit portions of the arm closest closest to your light, and desaturate and near over expose (causing to to better blend with the white background) the carpet on the floor.

Can't attach a sample of how I would have processed the picture (will be sending it to you in a email though) but the picture is basically pretty much OK, only needs some local pushing and pulling.

Edit:

Managed to make a link to the picture I (temporarily) filed on line

http://m0.i.pbase.com/g9/20/670620/2/160591860.JjNYOAMm.jpg

Edited on Jun 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2015 at 03:33 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fashion editing help please.

Tony, diggin' the capture @ pose, gaze, etc.

Took a stab at it.

Needs some better masking, tweaks to taste, etc. but hopefully you get the gist.

Key components:

Blur carpet via average, tone carpet.
Addin faux baseboard
gradient falloff toning of wall.

As always, S&P to taste.

Jun 29, 2015 at 09:59 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fashion editing help please.

One trick to make her stand out is to fill the background with her skin colour then hit CTRL-I to get the exact opposite colour, in this case a pale blue. Looks quite good.

Jun 29, 2015 at 01:01 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fashion editing help please.

Sharpen, even out lighting, set white and black points, lighten carpet:

http://bernardwerner.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/i-w7WKv6p/4/O/ever00-w.jpg

Jun 29, 2015 at 06:11 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.