New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Olympus E-M5 II ?

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus E-M5 II ?

It's not looking like this is a very popular camera. Perhaps it's not enough of an upgrade over the original to cause a stir? It seems to get good reviews, but not seeing much talk about it.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if maybe this camera is a "sleeper". Anybody using it? Thoughts? Worth spending double what an E-M5 goes for used?

May 11, 2015 at 08:29 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus E-M5 II ?

I quite enjoyed it. It's not a massive upgrade, but it is substantial. Its mostly an E-M1 in an E-M5 body (minus PDAF) with a pretty nice (if limited) 40MP high res mode. My review: http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-ii/

May 11, 2015 at 08:33 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus E-M5 II ?

Jman13 wrote:
I quite enjoyed it. It's not a massive upgrade, but it is substantial. Its mostly an E-M1 in an E-M5 body (minus PDAF) with a pretty nice (if limited) 40MP high res mode. My review: http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-ii/

I've actually looked at your review. You gave me what I considered to be some good insight into the Fuji X-T1, so I checked your site because I figured you'd have some good insights.

I noticed your use of the word "enjoyed". Has the camera made its way into your rotation, or did you move on?

May 11, 2015 at 09:00 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus E-M5 II ?

I don't shoot with m4/3 much anymore, aside from reviewing new stuff. I use it for macro work and for times I want serious reach in a small package (60 macro and 75-300), so I probably won't buy a new m4/3 body any time soon.

May 11, 2015 at 09:14 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus E-M5 II ?

I just sold my X100 and am looking to pickup the T, as it's really been a great all around camera for me. I have to admit I was looking at the Olympus though. The small 17 and 20mm lenses are really attractive to me. I am concerned, however, about the very small size of the Olympus body (the low height) and the ten thousand buttons that seem to indicate impending fiddling with functions.

I do like Olympus' brick-outhouse feel though. And the ability to completely turn the lcd around and put it "away".

I feel like IQ would be a step down from Fuji though. Thoughts on that? I do utilize higher ISO's, and I am a fan of X-Trans files.

May 11, 2015 at 09:24 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus E-M5 II ?

goosemang wrote:
It's not looking like this is a very popular camera. Perhaps it's not enough of an upgrade over the original to cause a stir? It seems to get good reviews, but not seeing much talk about it.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if maybe this camera is a "sleeper". Anybody using it? Thoughts? Worth spending double what an E-M5 goes for used?

Frankly I think it's a nice overall package - "worth" it is entirely subjective. Paying more than double for the Mark II could be a huge burden for someone, or nothing at all.

I've strongly considered selling off my EM5 for the EM5 II, but I'm not in any rush to do so.

I think the lull in the excitement is because while people really like the EM5 series, they REALLY want to see the EM-1 Mark II and so many may be waiting for Olympus's update to that camera, especially with rumors floating around of not only faster hi-res mode, but bigger MP sensor, etc.

Since EM5 isn't the flagship any more, it plays second fiddle in the excitement area to the EM1 series

May 11, 2015 at 09:30 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus E-M5 II ?

Not to mention the price might actually be a little too close to the EM1 as it is now. In sweden there is about 50 USD difference (the Em5 is just slightly cheaper).

I just noticed one dealer already has a campagin on it though where you can save 150 USD on it but they also have a campaign on the EM1 where you get the vertical grip included in the price so there really isn't much between them.

Which is the better camera I don't know, it would be interesting to see a real comparison between the EM1 and EM5 II RAW files, some homepages have stated that the RAW files are quite a bit better but I'll wait to judge that till I see some real proof.

It looks like an amazing camera though, to tell you the truth I feel no need for any better image quality then what I have with the EM5 now but I do feel like an upgrade to the camera and the MK II looks great in most ways and it has got the big beautiful viewfinder of the EM1 which is what I am really after the most. I will hold of for the EM1 MK II though I think, unless the prices of the EM5 MK II comes down quite a bit (or the rumored Titanium version is a beautiful in real life as it looks on pictures).

As far as picture quality between the Fujifilm X100s (should be same as the T) and my EM5 there really isn't a whole lot of difference. The Fuji's are cleaner at all ISO's but at high ISO I actually prefer the Olympus files anyway because they look more analog rather then Fuji's digital smeared out look, specially noticeable on skin tones, this is with RAW btw, not JPG. However, I am just starting to process the files through Capture One Pro rather then Lightroom to see if I get any difference there.
You also have to ask your self will the small difference in cleaner images make a difference in print? I haven't tested to print really large from either camera yet (oddly enough) but I have a 100x70cm (39x27 inches) photo from an old Nikon D80 (10mp file from an APS-C sensor 2006) on the wall that looks awesome with very little noise and I am quite confident that both these newer cameras produce far better results then that.

If the quality difference is visible in print, it matters. If it's only visible on the screen at 100% or more magnification, it doesn't matter.

May 11, 2015 at 09:44 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.