New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Does This Work

WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does This Work

This shot is at the Nurses Memorial in DC, I was trying to distill my shot to the bare minimum.

As a veteran I see the combat boots and the sandbags, with the hand lying limp. To me it has an emotional feeling of loss and death.

My shutter speed was 1/25 of a second, ISO 200 and 98 mm Focal length and handheld. I focused on the tip of the boot causing some of the hand to be soft. Does this ruin the image?

The processing is a bit dark and moody but that was intentional.

Curious of your thoughts good and bad.

Walt

May 10, 2015 at 06:45 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does This Work

The message comes across to me.

May 10, 2015 at 06:53 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does This Work

Thanks for commenting Ben, I am glad you can see it.

Walt

May 10, 2015 at 07:15 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does This Work

I think you succeeded in capturing and presenting a powerful image, Walt.
To me, the challenge here is highlighting the hand and boot and the heavy texture of the sculpture competes a bit. You may have already achieved as much separation as is needed but the arm seems like it might be separated just a bit more from the BG with a bit of work. Maybe darken the arm slightly? Or add a tad of blur behind it to make it separate more?
BTW, these are nits since your are on Critique. I think its fine as is. Just trying to see what I can add.
Scott

May 10, 2015 at 07:31 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does This Work

sbeme wrote:
I think you succeeded in capturing and presenting a powerful image, Walt.
To me, the challenge here is highlighting the hand and boot and the heavy texture of the sculpture competes a bit. You may have already achieved as much separation as is needed but the arm seems like it might be separated just a bit more from the BG with a bit of work. Maybe darken the arm slightly? Or add a tad of blur behind it to make it separate more?
BTW, these are nits since your are on Critique. I think its fine as is. Just trying to see
...Show more

Thanks for the comment Scott, glad that it spoke to you.

I took your advice and tried to bring out the arm more in this try, it is subtle though.

Walt

May 11, 2015 at 06:06 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does This Work

I think subtle is what was needed. Can't see them readily side by side, but my impression is the second has that additional separation.
Scott

May 11, 2015 at 06:59 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does This Work

sbeme wrote:
I think subtle is what was needed. Can't see them readily side by side, but my impression is the second has that additional separation.
Scott

Thanks for taking a look Scott.

Walt

May 11, 2015 at 12:56 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does This Work

I am digging this, Walt!

Only nit would be the slightly OOF thumb, but otherwise it's got a big thumbs-up (no pun, I swear!) up from me.

Cheers,

Jeff

May 11, 2015 at 01:40 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does This Work

beavens wrote:
I am digging this, Walt!

Only nit would be the slightly OOF thumb, but otherwise it's got a big thumbs-up (no pun, I swear!) up from me.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff you picked up on the one thing that keeps me from being totally satisfied with this picture.

Walt

May 12, 2015 at 06:32 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does This Work

Yep, the oof thumb doesn't help but by no means does it ruin this image IMHO.

As Scott mentioned, this is a very powerful image and I like this very much. What makes it almost seem more life like is the water droplets on the arm. I don't know why or how to put it into words but it just gives it a nice feel to it.

Nice capture Walt!

May 12, 2015 at 10:43 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.