Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

teraflame
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

On my nex 5n, its a bitch to edit in bulk. It appears to be quite close to the sensor, I cannot simply blow/brush it off.

May 10, 2015 at 06:24 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

Time to consider wet cleaning the sensor. Many methods/products out there for cleaning sensors. I personally use this one > CopperHill
Make sure you get the right sized tool for the sensor in your 5N.

Matt

May 11, 2015 at 08:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

schlotz wrote:
Time to consider wet cleaning the sensor.

+1

I use VisibleDust stuff, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1322969/0#12622663

May 11, 2015 at 08:11 AM
isb11

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

I used the visible dust and it leave residue streak on the sensor. The best combination I use is the eclipse+pac-pads for wet cleaning and sensor klear pen after for remaining imperfections (like streaks).

May 11, 2015 at 11:41 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

Lensrentals, who certainly sees lots of dirty sensors, did this video which I found very useful:

One key takeaway for me was always try the simplest methods first, most of the time a simple dry brush will do.

Paul

May 12, 2015 at 01:41 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

isb11 wrote:
I used the visible dust and it leave residue streak on the sensor...

Not for me. I use the original Sensor Clean fluid. Maybe you got some off-sensor gunk on it when you swabbed the sensor.

I use Eclipse fluid and Pec-pads to clean lens optics. I don't think it's a good product for cleaning sensors (I also use LensPen SensorKlear).

May 12, 2015 at 07:20 AM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

schlotz wrote:
Time to consider wet cleaning the sensor. Many methods/products out there for cleaning sensors. I personally use this one > CopperHill
Make sure you get the right sized tool for the sensor in your 5N.

Matt

I use the same thing and very happy with the result, however it's no perfect. I have to do 3 times to get rid of stuffs ( i do change lens often when on the field shooting)

May 13, 2015 at 09:06 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

Ive never had to clean a sensor, but have heard great things about Eclipse and Pec-pads like Jim mentioned.

Theres a member here thats used a regular ol' Lens Pen....i think its Petkal....not sure.

May 13, 2015 at 10:45 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

I have replaced many sensors here at my home for Nikon models since 2001. I say this just to qualify that I have gone through many hours of not only hardware repair frustrations and the learning curve behind that. But products to clean and re-attach.

I've been quite miffed over the last few years with cleaning products and companies and associated costs etc... Anyway, that's for another thread completely.

THIS image has a large piece of something on it. Now barring any surface oil or substance being on the filter, this is a Brush / Arctic butterfly removal. If the rocket won't jar it off. No way this should be a wet clean unless there was underlying issues present -- but not noticeable spread evenly across the sensor before it attached itself, making the now stuck object.... more stuck.

A light feathering and a blast from the rocket should remove this. Important to remember is ** BABY STEPS **. Always start with the least invasive techniques and move up slowly after multiple times on each step.

May 13, 2015 at 07:13 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

Thats good advice John. Always better to start off small, as opposed to jumping right in to the most extreme resolution.

May 14, 2015 at 08:55 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to clear a piece of weird dust on sensor?

Just scrub the crap out of the sensor with a nice clean microfiber cleaning cloth. You aren't actually touching the sensor just the sensor cover glass. Ive done this multiple times with my A7r with no image quality detriment. In fact it made the inage quality better thanks to no spots on the final image

May 15, 2015 at 12:29 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.