FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sunrise From Base Camp - Advice Please

IsaacTheGray
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunrise From Base Camp - Advice Please

Spent a lot of time working on this photo but don't feel great about where it's at. Looking for guidance and suggestions please. Thank you!

Before

After

May 10, 2015 at 03:58 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunrise From Base Camp - Advice Please

From what little (what you posted is small) I see I think your PP is fine - nice highlights and shadow recovery. What is missing to my eye is the need for more foreground in the center of the pic. Its like the bottom third of the pic is cut off.
Dave

May 10, 2015 at 04:25 PM
IsaacTheGray
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunrise From Base Camp - Advice Please

That's great feedback Dave, thank you. This trip was one of my first trying out panoramic shots and now that you mention that I noticed I did have the tendency to exclude too much foreground. Not sure where I went wrong on the image size. Maybe it was something in the settings when I exported from LR? I'll have to figure that out.

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Much appreciated.

Isaac

May 10, 2015 at 06:59 PM
Davenhill
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunrise From Base Camp - Advice Please

This is a great shot. I'll second Dbehrens comment. You did an excellent job with the post processing, especially given the difficult lighting conditions. That's 2/3rds of the battle right there. I too would like to see more foreground, but then again, I never know where to draw the line.

I love panoramas, but I've always found it difficult balancing the width and height, e.g. I frequently end up wishing I had captured more of the foreground. But then, why not just take a regular photo, or a wide angle shot? Usually the reason is to convey a better sense of being there, and/or if you have a subject that uniquely calls for it. Often, though, it's because there's a wide beautiful scene with no real subject, and you want to take it all in. All fine reasons.

My big problem is I'm reluctant to crop panoramas because they're so much trouble to take. To guard against that, I sometimes find it helpful to do a temporary crop at standard photo dimensions to identify where the main subject should be, then freeform drag the edges to widen it. Ideally, it should be widened no more than it improves the subject (or at least stop when it starts to detract from it) Often, that results in discarding large chunks of the panorama - but I don't think that applies here.

I realize that's pretty vague and general, but I'm seldom confident in how/where I crop my own. With panoramas, the best I can usually do is follow a process.

Or put it another way, it's a great photo even though you don't feel great about it. From my experience, that's pretty normal with panoramas

May 10, 2015 at 08:50 PM
IsaacTheGray
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunrise From Base Camp - Advice Please

Thanks Davenhill. Very encouraging dialogue. I appreciate it.

I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to crop much out of a panorama. Just feels like a lose-lose!! I really like the process you outlined below. I'll try it out this week. I have the tendency to want to include EVERYTHING. Your advice should help me start to narrow it down and prioritize subjects.

Have you had any luck posting panoramas here? I can't figure out why mine posted so small. The files I uploaded are full size images.

Thanks

Isaac

May 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunrise From Base Camp - Advice Please

I think it is a great shot. As mentioned you just need some close up foreground element I think to tie it all in.

David

May 11, 2015 at 03:24 PM
IsaacTheGray
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunrise From Base Camp - Advice Please

dgdg wrote:
I think it is a great shot. As mentioned you just need some close up foreground element I think to tie it all in.

David

Thank you David. I have another shot from this same morning with the same light / clouds in the distance but more foreground. I'm going to take all the advice I got here and see how that one turns out. Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.

Isaac

May 11, 2015 at 04:05 PM
StephenS_CP
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sunrise From Base Camp - Advice Please

I'm generally more satisfied with [in-camera] panoramas when I turn the camera to portrait mode and reconfigure the panorama sequence to be vertical rather than horizontal accordingly. That provides more vertical space for foreground inclusion and keeps the landscape features large enough to see.

May 11, 2015 at 05:17 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.