FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Branding ... where to get a logo.... 99designs

Ziffl3
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Branding ... where to get a logo.... 99designs

From time to time .... the discussion for branding/ logo design comes up.

The topic ranges from 'where do I go?' to "Why waste money I will do it myself."

We shooters tend to be pretty sharp and not thrown off course by technology or being creative outside of photography.

When it comes to logo .... there are several options.

- Use your name, add a .com on the end and you are done.
- higher a designer
- Some cheap-web based- multi designer site.

I have used all three.
I dumped what I did.
- I just do not have the time or software skills (at current time and no training time) to create something.

I went with Taste of ink for my business logo and I like it.
-I enjoyed the process of digging down to what I really wanted for my business logo.
Price ... +$500

Some cheap-web based-multi designer site: 99designs.com
Oh how time have changed.
There where threads on how not to use 99designs.com
Basically, it was a cheap, I think as low as 1 dollar to get design contest started. (could be wrong - but it was cheap)

I recently needed a new logo for an expansion of my business.
I just happened to look up designers and sure enough... 99design.com came up.

I am here to say the process has grown up and is pretty cool to use.
There are different contest levels: starting at $250 and go up.
Contest levels help determine the level of designer quality..... at least in theory.
In the end you end up working with 1 designer to complete the process and sign over the deliverables.

Currently I am in the middle of the process with 99designs.com
I am really digging the feed back system for each design.
I have been asked to have a private contest. Meaning designers can not see what the other designers are doing.
Now I am getting designers bringing out the creative juices but they know their ideas will not be copied.
(Sound familiar)

Part of this discussion is about 'time'.
While lots of people can design logos .... being able to get helps frees up time for us to work on other items like finding clients!!!

Hope this helps.

Have any other experiences .... chime in.

-Mark

May 09, 2015 at 10:45 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Branding ... where to get a logo.... 99designs

Thanks for sharing!

Mine was made with a similar site (mycroburst or something like that). I put in a 300$ budget, gave the designers a tagline and description of what I wanted and let the people have a go at it.

I had at least a dozen solid entries.

May 09, 2015 at 10:50 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Branding ... where to get a logo.... 99designs

Tim Ferris pitches them a lot.

Thought about using them this Summer for a new brochure

May 09, 2015 at 12:42 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Branding ... where to get a logo.... 99designs

99designs isn't so bad from the customer end, it's the designers who get the short end of it.

Kind of like posting you'll pay $300 for engagement photos, and want multiple photographers to shoot them but you will only pay the photographer who does the best job.

I won't go so far as to say you owe it to your fellow creative professionals to pay avoid sites like that, but it is something consider. I think the only real solution would be for designers to stop using those sites, but apparently plenty of designers think differently.

Disclaimer: Design work pays my bills. No, I won't design a logo for you, logo design is a pain.

May 09, 2015 at 02:46 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Branding ... where to get a logo.... 99designs

I could be wrong but one time I explored a couple of these sites and it seemed that many of the designers were from India and other countries where $300 goes a lot further than it does here.

May 09, 2015 at 03:13 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Branding ... where to get a logo.... 99designs

Steve Friedman.
He is friends with Chuck Anerino and has done everything we have. Freaking amazing dude.
www.meanderfin.com

May 09, 2015 at 05:58 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Branding ... where to get a logo.... 99designs

One of my degrees is in graphic design. I do all of my own design work but still give it to my designer friends to make changes and critique. Its always good to get multiple views.

My suggestion to anyone that needs design work done. Just do it, then show it to a designer and say this is something I want. it might be good or they might tear it apart, but it at least gives them a good start on what you are thinking.

May 11, 2015 at 09:50 AM
FullHousePhoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Branding ... where to get a logo.... 99designs

When I need logo work, I just go to my brother. He does it for a living, up and coming, and very reasonable for most, free for me (we trade work, logo/web design for photo work). But I can see the appeal of the 99designs site. And it's not like anyone is forcing those designers to submit a design on spec... their choice.

May 12, 2015 at 12:22 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.