New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Graduation photos

jchenabc

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Graduation photos

Hi everyone
First time posting any photos here. I just got into portraits.
I am looking for some feedbacks. I shot all these last week. Mostly with a Speedlight + Lightbox (Westscott rapid box)

Couple questions:
What are some good poses ? (age old question: What do I do with my hands ?)
How do you guys deal with people who have the same smile? Doesn't necessarily look good.
How much should I charge people ? Has always been doing stuff for free ... Heck... one of the girl paid me with $25 Chipolet gift card.

Thanks !

© jchenabc 2015

© jchenabc 2015

© jchenabc 2015

© jchenabc 2015

© jchenabc 2015

Edited on May 08, 2015 at 09:54 PM · View previous versions

May 08, 2015 at 08:50 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Graduation photos

Good start!

For #1 I don't like the expression given the pose and setting. I feel like this should be more of a smile pic. I like to go a bit longer focal length on head/head-and-shoulder shots typically.

#2 - Cool setting. Careful with the wide angle and body parts - the feet being closer makes them look really big.

#3 - There is a lot to like about this one. I think I would have rather had her standing. The photo makes her legs look a little big. I think she's another victim of the wide angle distortion. When shooting wide angle try to keep the subject's various body parts on the same plane relative to you so that certain parts don't look bigger or more distorted than others. This one she probably would have been better off standing up at an angle to you and getting some arm separation from her body.

#4 - As you found out with this one it's easier to figure out what to do with hands when you have the help of something to put them on. It's typically a little more flattering to a woman to angle her slightly relative to the camera and have her put on foot back, one foot forward, all weight on back foot, lean forward a bit. Good job getting her arms separated from her body. Try to make that the rule.

For posing ideas search pinterest for female senior posing or something. Youtube is a good resource. Study some good poses and work from there but I've also given you some principles to work with above. Posing is tough.. I need more work on it myself. Regarding smiling I'll often tell people to smile then say things like "smile less, smile more, smile like a cigar-smoking koala" etc.. things to get them working their own natural gestures and expressions. For females I'll do some smiling at various levels of smile - some more of the serious/sexy-ish look. For the latter I usually say, "Don't smile on this one. Relax your jaw, open your lips slightly." Some girls don't do that look well and you have to just work with each individual and figure out what looks good. The interaction is KEY! Try to find some Peter Hurley videos on youtube. He has great interaction with his subjects. I'm always looking to catch natural expressions just after a laugh etc..

So many variables for pricing. You just have to decide and go through the evolution of most photographers - you will change a few times before you decide what is sustainable. I'm about to make some big pricing changes myself that I hope will result in a more sustainable business model.

You also need to decide if you really do want to do this as a business. All of the taxes and business stuff alone is quite a bit of work and commitment.

May 08, 2015 at 09:24 PM
jchenabc

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Graduation photos

Thank you sooooo much for the feedbacks!

The two wide shots were with the 24mm. A lot of students want to incorporate some famous school buildings into their pictures. I watched Peter Hurley's video with B&H a while ago, I will definitely look for more of them.

Don't think I will make it into a business, I am actually working in IT industry, I guess photography will just always be a hobby.

May 08, 2015 at 09:54 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Graduation photos

Yeah, wide angle is cool but just gotta be careful that you don't have feet and legs closer to the camera so they don't look big.

I know what Hurley video you're talking about. Problem with that one is that it doesn't show the interaction with the subject - just him lecturing. Look for some that show him doing an actual shoot.

Photography isn't my full time job either but it is a business.

regards
brad

May 08, 2015 at 09:57 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Graduation photos

I like the last shot that you added after I replied the first time. See wide angle there but there is no one part of his body that is forward of the other parts so nothing looks weird. His face, arms and legs are all on the same plane.

May 08, 2015 at 09:58 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Graduation photos

My first suggestion is to number the photos. It makes commenting a lot easier.

#1 In addition to the other comments, she's stiff and the background is distracting.

#2 I see you wanted the entire building in this one, but consider a crop just above the arch of the doorway behind her. That removes the distorted building top and makes her a lot bigger in the frame.

#3 Nice shot. Again, I would crop. You don't need all that sky above her and the trees on our right can go too.

#4 Well done! Great expression and light. You captured the tassel in just the right place.

#5. Hands covering the mouth is not best. Hat askew. Not fond of this one.

May 09, 2015 at 04:44 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.