New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Which would you choose?

Konablue
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which would you choose?

I sold my 24-105 a couple of years ago and later regretted it. It would be nice to still have it in my collection to use as my walk-around-lens rather than one of my more prized lenses for that purpose. Both of my cameras are full frame.

May 13, 2015 at 11:33 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which would you choose?

How about the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 on the 7D2. Bit short at the long end, but 1.333 stops faster and a heck of a good lens.

May 14, 2015 at 05:18 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which would you choose?

If you already own the 24-105 just stick with it? I can't really talk having just upgraded because I wanted to but it seems like swapping for the sake of it.

May 15, 2015 at 04:37 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Which would you choose?

I have been shooting the Canon 24-70 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8 II, and version I before that, for 15+ years. Those 2 lense account for about 85% of my work.

I couldn't imagine not having them. When I had a studio, I also had 15+ other L lenses, but I wound up using those 2 zooms for almost everything. I occasionally used the 85 1.2 II wide open for fashion. And I used my 45 mm and 90 mm TS-E. Otherwise the zooms did everything that I needed. I also have a Canon 70-200 4.0 for when I am doing less serious work.

That's not to say you don't want the primes, if you use them. And it is nice to have a lighter kit at times.

But I really couldn't imagine not having those 2 lenses in my kit, "just in case." I still use them both a lot at events, wide open, at ISO 3200 & 6400. And I really only like lenses that are good enough to use at any aperture, including wide open.

I have been playing with a Nikon D5300 crop camera. I bought the excellent Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS to use as an equivalent to my Canon 24-70. That is actually a pretty fantastic lens for about $340 or less, imported directly from Japan on Craigslist. It has more vignetting wide open, but 1 stop down it is excellent, especially for the price.

When I retired as a pro I went to using APS-C from using full frame all of the time. I am very happy with my Canon 7DII. For most purposes, especially portraits, and anything but high ISO, the differences between APS-C and full frame are pretty minor. I also love the low read noise and the malleability of the 7DII files. It is hard to go back to an older sensor (and I like the 7DII for wildlife.)

Although I did just buy a Sony A7II to play with. The sensor ion the A6000 is almost identical to that on the A7II. I did some test and really cannot tell teh files apart! But the EVF and teh ergonomics on the A7II are worlds ahead of the A6000.

Unfortunately, the Sony 24-70 isn't in the same quality group, so that has really proven a challenge for me ...

Just my thoughts. Good luck!

May 15, 2015 at 10:05 PM
McSlice
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Which would you choose?

Definitely go with the 24-105. You have some amazing primes already for low light and shallow DOF.

It looks like you are looking for a more versatile, general purpose lens at this point. Go with the 24-105 since it will work on both bodies compared to the 17-55 which is only good on the crop.

My 2 cents anyway.

May 16, 2015 at 08:20 PM
new puritan

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Which would you choose?

I must have been lucky with my copy of the 24-105 as it is always on my 6D or 500D [ ] when I can only take one lens with me. Distortion at the short end is a pain in the #### but I would not consider it a 'second rate' or 'budget' L lens.

Mark

May 17, 2015 at 03:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.