Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Heard of VarsityViews.com ??

gschlact
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Heard of VarsityViews.com ??

Does anyone know anything about www.varsityviews.com ?

I can't figure out the business model and it claims professionals are shooting the games for it.
What I glean, the website or through mobile app is free to browse Galleries and use basic searches (school name, sport, date).

Option to create a Login so that you can "like / favorite" and also share directly to social media, FB, Instagram, etc.

I do not see any information targeting photographers, nor do I see any way for the students to purchase photos.
They started are VC (venture capital) $3M backed and started in Chicago (over 100 High Schools already), with expansion into a small handful of other metro areas. ( http://www.builtinchicago.org/company/varsity-views )

I can't figure out the business model, even if the current feature set is a freemium.

Comments / ideas / other info would be welcome and appreciated. Also, any contact info for photogs?

May 08, 2015 at 03:55 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Heard of VarsityViews.com ??

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=42725

May 08, 2015 at 05:52 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Heard of VarsityViews.com ??

when it smells...walk away

May 09, 2015 at 07:55 AM
pat.kane
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Heard of VarsityViews.com ??

They don't make it easy to figure out which schools have galleries. The photos I could find in my area (suburban Washington DC) were not even close to pro quality and many photos posted should have been in-camera deletes (someone more experienced wouldn't have even taken the shot, e.g., backs of players after the play had passed). Hard to imagine they're paying someone for those.

May 09, 2015 at 04:27 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Heard of VarsityViews.com ??

pat.kane wrote:
They don't make it easy to figure out which schools have galleries. The photos I could find in my area (suburban Washington DC) were not even close to pro quality and many photos posted should have been in-camera deletes (someone more experienced wouldn't have even taken the shot, e.g., backs of players after the play had passed). Hard to imagine they're paying someone for those.

Pat,
I had the exact same experience / quality looking here in the Chicago area.
Someone on the SS thread said they are paying $40/game. Eventually they plan to do print services and split revenue.

Opinion Question:
So, what is prevailing opinion.... Say you are at your child's game anyway shooting with very infrequent purchases by teammates. Do you accept their $40/game for the 10-20 games you are at anyway?

Guy

May 09, 2015 at 05:33 PM
pat.kane
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Heard of VarsityViews.com ??

Depends. If it is $40 to shoot and you get 80%+ of the sales, then maybe it is worth doing.

MaxPreps offers $0 to shoot, but you get 97% of the sales (they only hold back the credit card processing fee). MaxPreps also has much more to offer to drive traffic to the site.

I don't see the company paying the $40/game for you to shoot 10-20 games of your team though, even considering all the opponents could be different. Covering the same team over and over won't necessarily increase your chance of sales as the parents only want one or two shots of their kids anyway. This just doesn't seem like a sustainable model given how the site is currently set up.

May 10, 2015 at 09:22 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Heard of VarsityViews.com ??

i agree on the lack of sustainable model.
AND, the site does not yet offer print services.
So maybe the $40 worth it, IF I am at the game and shooting it anyway.

May 10, 2015 at 09:44 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Heard of VarsityViews.com ??

Do you have to transmit on a deadline? If so... they can keep that $40.

May 10, 2015 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.