• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/05/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-af-issues/

May 08, 2015 at 03:52 PM
ricknash

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

About time. I shot over 2000 images in the past two days using it and I daresay the hit/miss ratio was exceedingly bad, less than ten percent. Some days its amazingly good and other days it would function better as a doorstop.

May 10, 2015 at 12:27 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

When they officially recognize a problem, it will be posted under "Advisories" at the Canon web site like that found at http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/prodadvisory

May 10, 2015 at 12:29 PM
Crazeenick

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

I was just at the point of ordering a 7D2.

Do people advise waiting for this issue to be sorted before buying one?

Or is it possible that the AF problems only affect a small % of units (after all, happy customers don't bother posting on forums to say their 7D2 is OK!!)

Or should I just buy one now, relying on the fact that a firmware upgrade can easily be done at a later date (if necessary) by download from the Canon website, once one is released?

Any advice folks?

May 10, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

Crazeenick wrote:

Or is it possible that the AF problems only affect a small % of units (after all, happy customers don't bother posting on forums to say their 7D2 is OK!!)

Or should I just buy one now, relying on the fact that a firmware upgrade can easily be done at a later date (if necessary) by download from the Canon website, once one is released?

Any advice folks?

You could start by doing a search on this forum for 7D2 or 7DII.

That will bring up a number of threads that have already discussed this subject.

May 10, 2015 at 01:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

Crazeenick wrote:

Any advice folks?

It's difficult to know for sure because Canon has not announced anything. Nikon never acknowledged the AF issues with the D7000, though they replaced the AF modules for free. The Canon 1D III was finally fixed, but it had two major issues and was replaced by the 1D IV.

The usual answer for any questionable new equipment is that if you need it now, then buy now and test it thoroughly. If you can wait then certainly that's a good idea. I may just skip the 7D II, depending on how well the 5Ds/5DsR perform.

EBH

May 10, 2015 at 01:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

EB-1 wrote:
... The Canon 1D III was finally fixed, but it had two major issues and was replaced by the 1D IV.

Minor point...

The comment that the 1DIII had problems and was replaced by the 1DIV implies that the 1DIII was replaced because of these problems. I don't see it that way. I think the replacement of the 1DIII by the 1DIV was in-step with the natural progression of technical improvements.

Here's the timeline,

3 yr gap, 1D (2001) > 1DII (2004)
1 yr gap, 1DII (2004) > 1DIIN (2005)
2 yr gap, 1DIIN (2005) > 1DIII (2007)
2 yr gap, 1DIII (2007) > 1DIV (2009)
3 yr gap, 1DIV (2009) > 1DX (2012)

The most interesting question for me is, how long until we see what comes after the 1DX? We're at 3 years and counting...

May 10, 2015 at 04:14 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

jcolwell wrote:
The most interesting question for me is, how long until we see what comes after the 1DX? We're at 3 years and counting...

There is a deadline of the 2016 Olympics that will guarantee a 1DXII by that date. Aug 5th 2016. However, I'd expect Canon would want it out a number of months (6?) before those games to work out the bugs as always.

May 10, 2015 at 04:57 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

Crazeenick wrote:

Any advice folks?

You are right that people who have them working aren't on here complaining or even praising it. They are just posting shots. Here is where you should start: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/exifgallery.php?model=Canon+EOS+7D+Mark+II

May 10, 2015 at 04:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

jcolwell wrote:

arbitrage wrote:
There is a deadline of the 2016 Olympics that will guarantee a 1DXII by that date. Aug 5th 2016. However, I'd expect Canon would want it out a number of months (6?) before those games to work out the bugs as always.

I agree that the 2016 Games is a likely target for the 1DXII release. Based on 2012, I figure that regular folk will see them in the Sept/Oct timeframe.

May 10, 2015 at 05:17 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

jcolwell wrote:
I agree that the 2016 Games is a likely target for the 1DXII release. Based on 2012, I figure that regular folk will see them in the Sept/Oct timeframe.

I assume we will see it this year.. maybe September announcement? I'm not super interested in this camera, but I am interested to see what kind of advances they make that could trickle down later.

Chris

May 10, 2015 at 05:19 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

jcolwell wrote:

arbitrage wrote:

jcolwell wrote:

1DXII ! What happened to the 1DXI?

Has Canon planned far enough ahead this time around for the successor to the 1DX to have defective AF and as such be skipped altogether in the Roman Numeral sequence thus averting a massive recall?

May 10, 2015 at 05:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

You assume 1DX means 1D10. I don't.

Photonadave wrote:
1DXII ! What happened to the 1DXI?

Has Canon planned far enough ahead this time around for the successor to the 1DX to have defective AF and as such be skipped altogether in the Roman Numeral sequence thus averting a massive recall?

May 10, 2015 at 06:28 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

man with the t6 sensor problems and af problems with 7d mark ii i hope nothing goes wrong with the new 5ds/sr.

May 10, 2015 at 06:51 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

Alexluu627 wrote:
man with the t6 sensor problems and af problems with 7d mark ii i hope nothing goes wrong with the new 5ds/sr.

I think the 5DS/r is actually going to be pretty safe from issues. It appears to be a 5D3, with some 7D2 software and a new sensor. I think the next big issues will come in the 1DX MkII if the rumours of a radically different AF system are at all true. Then again, Canon would probably try not allow such issues in the 1 series flagship....however, their history for 1 series issues is not great (1DX recall, 1D3....)

May 10, 2015 at 07:48 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

If they acknowledge the issue, then while at it, they should put the T6i/T6s sensor in it, and we will have a wonderful 7D III!

May 10, 2015 at 07:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

arbitrage wrote:

The 1D X is one of the few Canon cameras that is still competitive, so there is less upgrade pressure than with their inferior models, like the aged 5D III. However, the deadline should be when the Nikon D5 is out.

EBH

May 10, 2015 at 08:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

howard wrote:
If they acknowledge the issue, then while at it, they should put the T6i/T6s sensor in it, and we will have a wonderful 7D III!

Is the T6 sensor better than the 7D II sensor?

EBH

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

howard wrote:

Is the T6 sensor better than the 7D II sensor?

EBH

stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · CR: Canon internally acknowledges 7DM2 AF issues

jcolwell wrote:
You assume 1DX means 1D10. I don't.

Correct. Since it's not a roman numeral, the successor to the 1DX is going to be the 1DY. I think it's obvious

May 10, 2015 at 09:30 PM
       2       3       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.