FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Blog Posts

DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Blog Posts

Okay, so 2 questions here, and these might be worth 2 different threads, but I'll save that.

1. Do you allow you couples to "approve" the blog post before it goes live? Sometimes I feel like they should be the first to see the blog post, not my Facebook friends or instagram followers. However I can see some drawbacks to that.

2. Do you strategize what time of day you send out the post to social media? A few photographers I follow seem to be pretty consistent with that, but I don't know if that is done for strategic reasons, or because that's how they structure their office time.

May 08, 2015 at 09:35 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Blog Posts

1. No definitely not, although we have had 1 or 2 requests over the years to keep the images private and we were fine with that. It's very rare, though.

2. We post stuff whenever we have time, but ideally it would be early weekday mornings.

May 08, 2015 at 09:44 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Blog Posts

1. No. The experience is better for people when they're surprised. If you send them to the couple first, they're more likely to feel like they're 'approving' them and look at them critically.

2. Whenever we can. Usually during office hours.

May 08, 2015 at 10:36 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Blog Posts

Jeff Simpson wrote:
1. No definitely not, although we have had 1 or 2 requests over the years to keep the images private and we were fine with that. It's very rare, though.

2. We post stuff whenever we have time, but ideally it would be early weekday mornings.

When we shoot your wedding, I'm blogging only photos of you sneezing.

May 08, 2015 at 10:36 AM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Blog Posts

1. I wouldn't recommend it. You're opening up the door for more work... "Can you replace that photo with this one?" We're also blogging less and less, for branding reasons. Not laziness. We always get permission from couples to do the blog, of which about 5% say they don't want their photos blasted all over the web.

2. Most sources will say mornings are best to post, but I haven't seen evidence to support that. Our sample size is a lot smaller than your 100k feeds though.

May 08, 2015 at 11:21 AM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Blog Posts

1. No. For the same reason others have stated, it leaves the possibility of them asking to swap certain images.

2. Between 11am-1pm when most people are on their lunch break seems to be the best time, from what I've seen. I have also had success around 7-8pm, but I would prefer to do it when I'm in work mode.

May 08, 2015 at 11:40 AM
alpinekiwi
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Blog Posts

I wait until the couple have received their photos before I will blog about it. Unless I have shown (and maybe given) them a slideshow. Then the blog will contain only shots from this. I want them to be the ones to see the photos first.
No idea on timing. I usually stick it up first thing in the morning.

May 08, 2015 at 11:44 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Blog Posts

1. Nope. But I do send them an email saying something along the lines of "if you haven't checked my facebook page today, you might want to!" and encourage them to tag themselves. I can see some people wanting to approve, but most of my clients are just happy to see a preview and say that they appreciate me posting the images.

2. I publish the blog at 6am PST, so it's live 9am on the east coast. But I usually post the link on FB between 11-1p like Matt. However I don't know if there's much traction in any situation unless the client tags themselves.

May 08, 2015 at 12:51 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Blog Posts

Tony Hoffer wrote:
When we shoot your wedding, I'm blogging only photos of you sneezing.

this made my morning.

May 09, 2015 at 12:42 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Blog Posts

1. No
2. Yes. I normally try to put stuff up during prime time EST. I feel like it gets the most traction then.

May 09, 2015 at 06:01 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Blog Posts

1). No and yes. No, I don't usually and they are always first to see as I schedule the post appropriately to when they'll get their photos. Sometimes people bring this up that they might want approval, they're usually older, or more religious, or something like that - can't remember the last couple who asked but it's fine, it's their wedding, as long as they see it first it doesn't make any difference. They'd still see the full post, and never want anything changing anyway.
2). As mentioned the post itself is always scheduled but as for social media, when I used it, not so much. I throw out links on twitter occasionally still but I have no real clients on there, really just other businesses. I haven't used FB since Feb now (pretty much abandoning it) but when I did I would often try early morning or lunch time. The best thing is to just experiment yourself here, and I'm sure you could find some in depth research out there if you wanted to.

May 10, 2015 at 02:49 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Blog Posts

1. No.

2. First thing Monday morning. Before 8am. Try it. You'll see why.

May 10, 2015 at 01:25 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Blog Posts

1. No. Would you revisit all your past clients when you update your portfolio?

2. Mostly Mon/Tues AM for my targeted customers' time zone. But it's getting tough with some clients fly in from other countries.

May 11, 2015 at 05:53 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Blog Posts

1. No. However for me, blogging comes after image delivery. Sometimes significantly. I want my client's first interaction with the images to be viewing the full narrative set rather than a selection on my blog which has a subtly different intent.

2. Yes. There are lots of decent times, but I try and blog either near the start of the day, or towards evening when people are checking FB/Instagram/Twitter etc.

May 12, 2015 at 06:15 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.