New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · I hate Zeiss...

Wilbus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I hate Zeiss...

Really, I do, hadn't it been for them I'd still be happily looking for future investment in m43 and my OM-D system but ever since they released the Loxia lenses for Sony E-mount I've been drooling all over them.

Since a couple of years after I bought my first DSRL (Nikon D80) I've been wanting to get a Zeiss, even more so when I had my D700 but for some reason I chose the "wise" way and bought a Nikon 24-70 over a Zeiss prime, I chose with my brain rather then my heart.

So after moving from the Nikon D700 to m43 and the Em5 I successfully, sort of let go of the Zeiss dream for a while but it's always stayed in the back of my mind, both as far as lenses go and the Zeiss Ikon ZM rangefinder. How can Zeiss still hold such a strong position in my heart even though I've never tried anything from them? It makes no sense!

Anyway, rant over, maybe I just have to save up for an A7-something and a Loxia and be done with it.

I don't hate Zeiss, I just wish I did

May 08, 2015 at 03:32 AM
banpreso
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I hate Zeiss...

mirrorless full frame combined with high quality optics makes a compelling package for shooting solutions, and everyone can see the success of the sony A7 line. from the looks of things most of us collect lenses and gears and we want to add some of the best gears available to our collection. ultimately for shooters, what's important is what helps you make images. the canon and nikon 24-70 f2.8 are solid bread winners for working photographers and that's what they need for the job. personally i buy gears at a (much) faster rate than i can shoot them. i think most of us have new year resolutions to go out and shoot more.

but yah, zeiss is great. i've added 28 f2, 35 1.4, 100 makro planar, contax g, 35-70, and many other lenses into my collection. wonderful stuff but i wish i can make less excuses and shoot more.

btw good thing i'm not (yet) too interested in the contax 645 system

May 08, 2015 at 03:47 AM
hschougaard

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I hate Zeiss...

Write to Zeiss and demand a Loxia line of lenses for m43 mount

Or get a Metabones Speedbooster for the CY mount and enjoy the old skool charms of Contax Zeiss.

May 08, 2015 at 03:47 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I hate Zeiss...

Wilbus wrote:
...but it's always stayed in the back of my mind, both as far as lenses go and the Zeiss Ikon ZM rangefinder.

I used to have a ZM, it is a glorified Bessa.

The lenses is another story of course, they are usually optically great (especially for stopped down and infinity) but for my preferences they sacrifice too much size and weight to achieve it.

May 08, 2015 at 05:04 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I hate Zeiss...

I love Zeiss, generally speaking, but I also think many of the Olympus and the premium Leica Panasonic MFT lenses are stellar (and have AF).

May 08, 2015 at 05:55 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I hate Zeiss...

johnvanr wrote:
I love Zeiss, generally speaking, but I also think many of the Olympus and the premium Leica Panasonic MFT lenses are stellar (and have AF).

the Leica DG's are notably better than the Loxia's, which while quite good are not up to the other newer Zeiss lenses in performance. Frankly, I'd rate most of the better Oly primes higher as well.

May 08, 2015 at 06:22 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I hate Zeiss...

There's a Zeiss Ikon in the stores here in Shanghai. I held it with a 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar. Damn but that is one GORGEOUS camera. I dont need another camera. I really dont. But I sure want one more.

May 08, 2015 at 06:23 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I hate Zeiss...

The Panasonic Leica DG lenses as well as the Olympus Premium and Pro lines of lenses. Olympus is an excellent lens maker.

Personally I have both a m43 system and Sony mirrorless with Zeiss Touit and Sony Zeiss ZA AF, full frame and APS-C formats. Maybe Batis in the future.

I'd take a Zeiss ZF.2 35/2 over the Nikon AF-S 24-70/2.8, any day if I still were into DSLRs.

May 08, 2015 at 07:13 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I hate Zeiss...

i think most of us have new year resolutions to go out and shoot more.

Hear hear! I think that's very true and I will try it more my self this summer. I can't say I add gear faster then I can use it but I can say I wish I did I haven't added any gear for a year and a half actually (holy crap, come to think of it, that's a long time!)

Write to Zeiss and demand a Loxia line of lenses for m43 mount

HAHA! I do like the magic word "demand" there I am sure they will agree to my damands! the Contax Zeiss way could be interesting but then again I am not really fond of 1.5 crop factor with the speed booster, 2x crop as on m43 is better as many lenses get somewhat more normal and useful field of view such as a 50mm becomes a 100mm field of view. With a 1.5 time crop it's just a weird 75mm

I used to have a ZM, it is a glorified Bessa.

It may be but DAMN it is beautiful!

the Leica DG's are notably better than the Loxia's, which while quite good are not up to the other newer Zeiss lenses in performance. Frankly, I'd rate most of the better Oly primes higher as well.

Simple fact is that the m43 system currently has some of the best lenses you can get, my all time favorite lens for any system I have tried is the Pan-Leica 25mm F1.4 for m43 which is my main go to lens. I didn't know the Loxias are "worse" though, still there is something about Zeiss that just makes me want to have one

There's a Zeiss Ikon in the stores here in Shanghai. I held it with a 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar. Damn but that is one GORGEOUS camera. I dont need another camera. I really dont. But I sure want one more.

Yeah Rattymouse, that's the feeling I have for the Ikon as well, man it is one of the most beautiful cameras I've ever seen. Need one? Hell no... want one... ohhh yeah!

The Panasonic Leica DG lenses as well as the Olympus Premium and Pro lines of lenses. Olympus is an excellent lens maker.

Personally I have both a m43 system and Sony mirrorless with Zeiss Touit and Sony Zeiss ZA AF, full frame and APS-C formats. Maybe Batis in the future.

I'd take a Zeiss ZF.2 35/2 over the Nikon AF-S 24-70/2.8, any day if I still were into DSLRs.

Bjorn, which system do you use the most? Or do you actually only almost use one? Simple fact is that m43 and their lenses can do everything needed and the only real reason I am even considering the A7 are due to the Loxias which is kind of weird. As for a Zf.2 35mm over a 24-70, yeah I totally agree there, I've come to the conclusion that I need soul and feeling in the cameras I use, even for occasional wedding. I've shot the past few weddings with 35mm, 50mm and 90mm (FF equivalent) and it has worked out without any problems.

May 08, 2015 at 09:03 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I hate Zeiss...

There are amazing lenses for every system out there, but I'm finding it hard to not be crazily impressed with the Zeiss 55/1.8 on my A7 II. Just so good.

May 08, 2015 at 09:58 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I hate Zeiss...

I loved my ZE 35/2 and ZF.1 100/2 when I had them, awesome lenses.

That said, your Pan-Leica 25/1.4 has great rendering and the 42.5/1.2 rendering is spectacular.

I'm also a fan of the Pan-Leica 15mm's rendering, though I haven't personally used it.

These lenses mean I don't miss my former Zeiss stuff very much They're nice and all, but m43 has Leica-branded stuff on its side...potato, potahto.

I do agree with Jordan, the 55/1.8 is an amazing lens (at least from, like, EVERY sample I've ever seen), but you couldn't pay me to shoot with an A7 again. (well, okay, you COULD, but it would be a substantial fee!)

May 08, 2015 at 11:15 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I hate Zeiss...

Have you tried the A7 II? Big upgrade in ergonomics IMO.

May 08, 2015 at 11:40 AM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I hate Zeiss...

I've been shooting the past few weeks with old Zeiss Contax lenses on my A7II, and it has put serious fun back into photography. The ergonomics of the A7II are very nice, and manual focus is a breeze. I only need to learn to start taking notes on what aperture I'm shooting because I can't see it later in Lightroom.

I have the Zeiss Contax 25mm, 35mm, two 50mm's and now just need to find one of the sweet 85mm ones, which seem to be a bit pricey.

May 08, 2015 at 12:21 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I hate Zeiss...

Wilbus wrote:

Bjorn, which system do you use the most? Or do you actually only almost use one? Simple fact is that m43 and their lenses can do everything needed and the only real reason I am even considering the A7 are due to the Loxias which is kind of weird. As for a Zf.2 35mm over a 24-70, yeah I totally agree there, I've come to the conclusion that I need soul and feeling in the cameras I use, even for occasional wedding. I've shot the past few weddings with 35mm, 50mm and 90mm (FF equivalent) and it has worked out without
...Show more
My m43 system can indeed do everything I require. Also my m43 system is the most extensive one. I only get the most commonly used focal lengths in the Zeiss brand. An added advantage of Sony E mount is that I can use some legacy glass with it.

May 08, 2015 at 12:37 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I hate Zeiss...

Jman, yeah I heard lots of good stuff about the 55mm/1.8 but it's just not "sexy" in the way manual Zeiss' are But I don understand that a lot of lenses for the E system are indeed great!

Cputeq, indeed the PL 25 is amazing, I kind of still remember my first day with it, I was filled with joy and probably didn't shut my mouth for 10 minutes after seeing the first pictures with it.

True, Leica branded stuff on the side of m43 is not small thing and as shown by the PL lenses it's not just in the name of the lenses but there is some Leica magic behind it. The 42,5 is most definitely on my list of lenses to own some day and the 15mm looks awesome as well, only problem is it's the same focal length as my Fuji x100s (almost anyway).

Think I have been persuaded (didn't take that much) to stay with m43

Doughvan, the 85mm ZF.2 was also on my "wanted" list while shooting Nikon, looks awesome although not the sharpest 85 around it did seem to have the most soul.

Bjornthun, nice to see you use both systems, m43 does indeed do everything most people need, my biggest reason for getting an A7, well only reason maybe, would be for my legacy Nikon and Olympus lenses, it would be nice to test my Nikon 50mm F1.2 on FF some day

May 08, 2015 at 02:22 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I hate Zeiss...

I so feel for your story man!!! I drooled over Zeiss my whole adult life and at nearly 50 years of age, I finally got a used one and it was well worth it! Now I drool over if I could get another just o e more, which would it be? And what do I have to sell to get it? Do I have to breed some rare breed of dog to make enough to buy another Zeiss, DONE!

Okay the truth is the 25mm I got for my canon 6D is not as spectacular as I thought it would be. Or is it that much more than the L lenses I buy anyway. So look for a good used one from here on FM or on B&H and make sure it is really the mm lens you want AND look at the reviews too to make sure that everyone e agrees that the lens you dream of is really the best Zeiss in the world for you. Good luck brother!

May 08, 2015 at 02:34 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I hate Zeiss...

Jman13 wrote:
Have you tried the A7 II? Big upgrade in ergonomics IMO.

No I haven't, it looks like a nice camera for sure, but lack of touch screen and especially (from what users have told me) the overly sensitive EVF sensor are a no-go.

The touch screen is annoying but passable, but the sensitive EVF is too much - that's what 'broke' me and forced me to sell my otherwise nice A7 setup

May 08, 2015 at 02:44 PM
taran
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I hate Zeiss...

cputeq wrote:
The touch screen is annoying but passable, but the sensitive EVF is too much - that's what 'broke' me and forced me to sell my otherwise nice A7 setup

+++
100% true. The ergonomics and usability of A7 leaves a lot to be desired. I have a panasonic GM5 and now that I know how to use it, its controls are a good deal more accessible than the A7s that is also in my bag. The EVF sensitivity of A7s also is really really bad, makes it seem like Sony just takes a my way or the high way approach.

May 08, 2015 at 03:11 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I hate Zeiss...

Hey Rasmus!

I have a confession to make. A few weeks ago I bought the A7 II + FE 55 + FE 16-35 but honestly, I am not fired up. Why? Because, quite frankly, I have not really used it yet. I brought it with me to Minnesota not too long ago when I went to visit my daughter and grandkids for a few days ... but ended up shooting with my E-M1 + 12-40 PRO + 75/1.8. That 75 lens is freaking amazing - almost as good as the Nocticron 42.5/1.2 which is my favorite lens.

As much as I love Zeiss lenses (I shot Contax SLR with C/Y Zeiss lenses for almost 30 years) I just love the E-M1 and some of the m43 lenses and I cannot let go of them! I am thinking I could use the Sony for landscapes and the Olympus for everything else. That is still the plan. But so far I am not enamored by the Sony which feels cheap and plasticky; AF is somewhat slow; IBIS is not as good; and the shutter noise is still loud ... compared to the E-M1.

Bobby

Jman13 wrote:
There are amazing lenses for every system out there, but I'm finding it hard to not be crazily impressed with the Zeiss 55/1.8 on my A7 II. Just so good.

May 08, 2015 at 04:17 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I hate Zeiss...

I just received an A7ii, and can tell already it won't be winning any ergonomics prize—partly due to the cramped real-estate of any small body, and partly because Sony has no clue. The A7ii replaces my 1Ds which, for all its boat-anchor qualities, was a really nice camera to use. The single-digit Nikons rate similarly: large, but controls falling under the fingers just right. The really big attraction of MILC for me is manual-focus precision, and complete compatibility with CZ Contax/Yashica lenses (of which I have a ton). Some of these could not be used on Canon DSLR (even the 1 Series) due to mirror-box clearance. I'm really looking forward to mounting a 200/2 Aposonnar on this A7ii pipsqueak.

May 08, 2015 at 09:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.