Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Remnants of the old docking piers on Hecla Island in Manitoba Canada. I've photographed these piers many times and each time I walk away with something different. This is the first time shooting these piers with the sun at this position. I am usually there at different times of the year and the sun is either left of right of the piers. I was ecstatic as this scene was developing in front of me. I had to work quickly as the sunset and light passed through the piers getting ready to capture it at the right moment. Cold and windy made for some numbing fingers but I was happy when I captured this image.

Multi-image panorama shot in portrait with Sony A7r + Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.7 (C/Y) + Lee GND filters

For fun I thought I'd show my SOOC images. Keep in mind this is shot on manual lenses with no camera or lens profiles applied to these SOOC images. Still using CS5 here.

Thanks for looking.

Edited on May 08, 2015 at 12:57 AM · View previous versions

May 07, 2015 at 09:58 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Super nice colors Scott. Great eye for this too.

That spotlight is the finishing touch!

May 07, 2015 at 10:13 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

What Craig said!
I think you nailed it with the pano technique as well as the timing.
Pulling this off with a manual lens & keeping the sun where you want it, golden!

Thanks for posting

Dan

May 08, 2015 at 12:16 AM
thoang77
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Excellent timing indeed. Love how defined and vibrant those rays of light are, they really pop on that cool, smooth water.

May 08, 2015 at 12:34 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Thank so my everyone

ckcarr wrote:
Super nice colors Scott. Great eye for this too.

That spotlight is the finishing touch!

Thank you very much Craig.

Edited on May 08, 2015 at 09:32 AM · View previous versions

May 08, 2015 at 09:26 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Beautiful shot Scott. I love the color in this one...

May 08, 2015 at 09:31 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

dswiger wrote:
What Craig said!
I think you nailed it with the pano technique as well as the timing.
Pulling this off with a manual lens & keeping the sun where you want it, golden!

Thanks for posting

Dan

Thank you Dan.

Its funny, I now have no auto anything lenses. All my lenses are manual focus, manual aperture and no IS. I am really loving using these old lenses. Going to look at and most likely pick up a Tokina 17/3.5 SL Canon FD lens. Same seller that I bought my Pentax Asahi SMC Takamur 105/2.8 a couple of years ago. His gear is always in excellent+ condition. So looking forward to testing it later today.

Edited on May 08, 2015 at 10:04 AM · View previous versions

May 08, 2015 at 09:31 AM
Ton Hung
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

I like it

May 08, 2015 at 09:49 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

TON HUNG wrote:
I like it

Thank you Ton.

May 08, 2015 at 07:37 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Another fantastic shot. I like the simplicity along with the perfect timing for the right light.

David

May 08, 2015 at 07:57 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Looks like you don't need no stinkin' auto functions Scott. Well composed and the silhouetted structures works nicely in the image.

May 08, 2015 at 09:37 PM
wsu6
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Beautiful!

-Bill

May 08, 2015 at 10:30 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

The light shooting from between the posts is killer! Love it!

May 08, 2015 at 10:41 PM
VanIsle
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Fantastic Scott. I quite enjoy the juxtaposition of the angles, and the qualities of light. It is great how you can keep returning to a place and find something new.

May 08, 2015 at 11:02 PM
lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Beautiful Scott. Glad you are shooting again.
Lonnie

May 09, 2015 at 08:12 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Nice comp and PP Scott. My only nit and its very minor is that the horizontal highlights in the light-ray to the far left looks like they should be more horizontal (in line with the water) - like the ones in center and far right. I hope that makes sense.

That C-Y Z 50 f/1.7 is an outstanding lens that for some reason has stayed (IMO) underrated. I hope you are enjoying your A7r - I'm loving mine as well as the resurrection and use of some great legacy MF glass. As it stands I only have one AF lens for my A7r kit.

Dave

May 09, 2015 at 11:54 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Piers Of Light (+ SOOC)

Thank you all very much! :cheers:

dbehrens wrote:
Nice comp and PP Scott. My only nit and its very minor is that the horizontal highlights in the light-ray to the far left looks like they should be more horizontal (in line with the water) - like the ones in center and far right. I hope that makes sense.

That C-Y Z 50 f/1.7 is an outstanding lens that for some reason has stayed (IMO) underrated. I hope you are enjoying your A7r - I'm loving mine as well as the resurrection and use of some great legacy MF glass. As it stands I only have one AF lens
...Show more

Thank you Dave. What you're seeing may be from the long exposure and waves. The 50/1.7 is insanely sharp. Sharpest lens I've used but I just got the Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 28/2.8 (c/y) and is supposed to be as sharp. I just haven't really test driven it yet. I did some test shots here at home wide open and it was crazy sharp. I also just picked up a Tokina 17/3.5 RMC II (Canon FD mount) and am VERY impressed with it though I've really only shot with it once.

May 10, 2015 at 04:32 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.