Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

Nate Haskovec
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

I think you are being rather dramatic.

Digital camera tech hasn't made any leaps or bounds since 2007.

The flagship D4 is a 16MP camera.

The D300 has a pixel density of 180^2 pixels/mm^2. The D8XX has 205^2 pixels/mm^2

Processing speed, AF, DR, etc have improved, but with good technique and good light, the D300 can produce images as good as any modern body.

May 07, 2015 at 11:38 AM
Mnd1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

Superb images Brian, very impressed with those.

May 07, 2015 at 12:47 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

Mnd1 wrote:
Superb images Brian, very impressed with those.

Thank you, yours as well

May 07, 2015 at 01:48 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

I really like the final mink image in your series. I have a soft spot for mustelids, especially those in a stark habitat.
I am glad that I am not alone in recognizing the what's possible when skill and opportunity collide.
cheers,
bruce

May 07, 2015 at 03:38 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

Nate Haskovec wrote:

The D300 has a pixel density of 180^2 pixels/mm^2. The D8XX has 205^2 pixels/mm^2

Processing speed, AF, DR, etc have improved, but with good technique and good light, the D300 can produce images as good as any modern body.

Not sure how I am being dramatic... though maybe this was not directed at me. I just happened to be impressed with the camera's ability to handle challenging light. The D300 (s) is often maligned because Nikon has not updated it. My point is that it continues to deliver at a bargain price. You can by a mint D300 for $340-$400 and a D300S for $450... this is a crazy good price for a camera that does the things it does.
regards,
bruce

May 07, 2015 at 03:44 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

A few from the Canoe taken two and three weeks ago...

May 07, 2015 at 03:47 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

OwlsEyes wrote:
Nice work with those swallows Morris. It is amazing how nicely you were able to track their movement.
There is no way that I would shoot the D300 @ ISO 1600 as I like to print my work. I shot a bobcat in pre-dawn light @ 1600 and could barely do anything with the shot.
I'm not sure if the D7200 is the answer... all I know is that the D7100 is not.
My wife has a D610 and I'm going to try it out this weekend to see how responsive the AF is with my 200-400 lens.
cheers,
bruce

Thank you Bruce,

I sharpen and noise reduce in layers so I can get the best of both and as you said this dose make more work.

Morris

May 07, 2015 at 05:00 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

OwlsEyes wrote:
Not sure how I am being dramatic... though maybe this was not directed at me. I just happened to be impressed with the camera's ability to handle challenging light. The D300 (s) is often maligned because Nikon has not updated it. My point is that it continues to deliver at a bargain price. You can by a mint D300 for $340-$400 and a D300S for $450... this is a crazy good price for a camera that does the things it does.
regards,
bruce

I agree, my D300 was purchased used and my D200 a refurb. Both have served my very well.

Morris

May 07, 2015 at 05:03 PM
glennh56
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

What's the point! I still think my D3 is a killer camera at 12mp.
OwlsEyes wrote:
Hard to believe that I can't get a comment here...
Not even a "that sucks!" or you're crazy... the D300 (s) is so yesterday... or 12MP, you might as well be drawing with a broken pencil.

Maybe I am biased, but given that these are images of a dark furred animal were shot between 6:20 am and 8:00 am w/ a diffuse morning light.. at ISO 640 no less w/ pretty old tech, I think that they are not too bad.

flame on

May 07, 2015 at 05:21 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

OwlsEyes wrote:
A few from the Canoe taken two and three weeks ago...

very nice set, the first image, killer pose you captured! great detail

forgot to add, i did delve back into dx by buying a d2x and while i love the body as it closely matches my d3s i find its focus and iso comes nowhere close to the d300s i had

May 07, 2015 at 10:33 PM
Nate Haskovec
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

OwlsEyes wrote:
regards,
bruce

"as well as your thoughts about continuing to use this camera in the age of high ISO, higher megapixels, and wider dynamic range."

I mean that my thoughts are.. This post is a little dramatic. High ISO isn't needed in good light, high(er) DR isn't needed in good light, and you have as many MP as a D4.

Of course your camera is very capable of producing good images. It is comparable to the D800 series in terms of pixels on target, offers better croppability than a D4, and has enough DR to render a wonderful picture.

I guess to me, the dramatic part is implying that this camera is considered incapable by the masses. Any 10MP or higher crop body with a good lens mounted on it is capable of results that compare to any modern body. As long as the operator is proficient in focusing, can capture the image without 10FPS and doesn't shoot at ISO 6400.

May 08, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Christian H
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

I haven't used one since early 2012. In good light, it was always a reliable camera. The files didn't shine like the D700's, the AF was a little clunky, and he 2.5 fps was nothing to write home about. But if you got a frame-filling subject in bright sunshine you were in business! I have worked with D8xx bodies since then, which are just about perfect for wildlife photography where being able to shoot at ISO 800-1600 without loss of IQ comes in handy.

D300s, f/6.3, 1/640, 500 mm, ISO 200

Fairmount Arts Crawl, 2:00-6:00 PM, Sunday, April 29 by Christian Hunold, on Flickr

May 08, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

I think: what isn't possible with "old technology". The op mentioned he invests in lenses instead, another way to go is invest in lighting gear instead. You light something well and that "old technology" don't matter much at all.

May 08, 2015 at 12:56 PM
Mnd1
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

Very nice shot Christian.

May 08, 2015 at 01:02 PM
lsutigerfan
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

What are you looking for in a response? "You're wasting your time shooting anything but flowers on Easter Sunday in bright sunlight with that OLD DECREPIT DSLR" ??

You know its limitations....which are MUCH better than the D80 I began with. Daylight camera with great AF - D300 (s)

All-around landscape and light action Camera - D800. Enjoy both for their strengths

May 09, 2015 at 01:26 AM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

Nate Haskovec wrote:

Totaly agree!

Dec 25, 2015 at 05:43 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

DSC_2806-lightren and smaller file by DaveOl1, on Flickr

Here's one I took with my old D 300s that I bought about two years ago. I accidentally shot it at ISO 3200 with available light.

Dec 25, 2015 at 09:23 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

The D2Xs and D300 are still the two cameras that I use the most for sports photography. I haven't used the D300 lately, simply because I forgot it at a friend's place, but here are a few shot with the D2Xs during the last month:

http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/4/9/greenflag.jpg

http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/4/9/greenmotion.jpg

http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/4/9/wetmonies.jpg

In real life and when light is sufficient, I see no reason to upgrade from these cameras. I have the D810 for when I need the resolution and I use a D700 for personal and low light photography, but when it comes to sports and other action, these old heroes are hard to beat.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:11 AM
silvermesa1
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

I just got back into photography about 3 years ago after a 25 year break. I purchased A D300 with a 85mm 1.4D and a 10-24 F3.5 wide angle to take farm portraits of my folks. I typically use it in reasonable light and this has been fabulous for me.
I realize it is old tech, but the average person on the street would never know it. Great value at present time.

P.S. Just a bit of trivia. Years ago I used a Hasselblad 500cm which was a great film camera at the time. A friend of mine was an early adopter of digital and had one of the predecessors to the D300 by several years and he used to make fun of me in how good the image quality of the earlier model of digital cameras were compared to the expensive medium format Hasselblad i had. I'm fairly sure the D300 is 4-5 years later in technology than the model my friend had.

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:33 PM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What's Possible with Old Tech (D300 Lives)

Sold my first D300 a few years ago. Since then I've added D800, D810, D3, D3s, D4 and D4s. Somehow I've missed the good old D300, so now I'm picking up another one 28.12 :-). If one know how to get the best out of the camera (f.ex. expose to the right and adjust WB before exposure...) one get great results even by todays standards.
silvermesa1 wrote:
I just got back into photography about 3 years ago after a 25 year break. I purchased A D300 with a 85mm 1.4D and a 10-24 F3.5 wide angle to take farm portraits of my folks. I typically use it in reasonable light and this has been fabulous for me.
I realize it is old tech, but the average person on the street would never know it. Great value at present time.

P.S. Just a bit of trivia. Years ago I used a Hasselblad 500cm which was a great film camera at the time. A friend of mine was an early adopter
...Show more

Dec 26, 2015 at 05:41 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.