FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Flash Deffusers

dimi_arachi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash Deffusers

I am looking to buy the Garry Fong diffuser. Not sure how this will fit in to wedding work.
Like to get the opinion of diffusers the you guys are using and some advice.

May 06, 2015 at 05:43 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash Deffusers

I use speedlites off camera. For a wedding I only use two diffusers. A 33" umbrella for portraits or a sto-fen diffuser for bounce during the reception if the ceiling is short. If it's high I'll just point bare flash at the ceiling.

I like them because they both produce great results considering their small size.

May 06, 2015 at 05:57 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash Deffusers

What are you trying to achieve?

May 06, 2015 at 06:50 AM
CoPhotoWedding

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash Deffusers

I have one - I use it in indoor environments where I need on camera fill light but do not have a nice place to bounce light or I have a lot of moving subjects (dancing) - It does its job well - The negative is it looks really silly - but thats kinda whatever.

May 06, 2015 at 01:19 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash Deffusers

Buy a MagMod from FM's own Spencer Boerup.
https://magnetmod.com/

These are great and his whole system is super useful.
This is coming from someone who NEVER uses a flash either except for some dance stuff. So that says a lot because the only time I use my flash I normally am using a MagMod accessory as well.

Way better than the Fong or Honel garbage.

May 06, 2015 at 05:22 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash Deffusers

Personally I agree with Zach Arias when he suggested that when a photographer learns about light then the lightsphere is the first thing they toss.

It is a toy, not something people who consider themselves skilled enough to be charging money should be using.

Something like the demb flip it that allows you to flash while putting a little light forward to fill the eyes can be practical though many flashes come with a similar card built in. Also the filter that comes with the flash for the purpose of reducing the risk of red eye.

Grids are a cool tool as well so the magmod could be worth a look. (have not used them myself but they look like a great system.

Is the onelight video still available? I would get that first.

May 08, 2015 at 12:51 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash Deffusers

I've gone from bare speedlights to the Rogue Flashbender for my light work on dancefloors

May 08, 2015 at 11:33 AM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash Deffusers

I have one (got it on ebay less than 10 bucks) on 600EX-RT if the ceiling is low and have no wall around dance floor to bounce. Otherwise i just use bare flash bounce on ceiling and wall. Note, since some asian wedding happens in chinese restaurant, the ceiling or wall is either dark or red color, I just use Expodisc to custom WB.

May 08, 2015 at 08:04 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash Deffusers

For years I used a Lightsphere as instant softbox for off-camera work, but I did the kickstarter thing on the MagMod bubble attachment which does the same thing (and plays with all the other MagMod stuff). I never used my Lightsphere the prescribed way — sucked too much light, dragging down recycle time.

I do like those MagMods and shoot with a grid in my pocket all day. Nice to just snap it on an off-camera light at anytime.

For on-camera, I still like the Joe Demb flip it for basic grip-n-grin photos with high banquet ceilings (when you'll need more light then a catch panel would deliver and you don't have a flash on a stand). We have a couple of the regular size ones and get used during cocktail hour and conventions / corporate stuff. Tilt your flash at 45 degrees and you can use horizonal or vertical — just rock the camera — no flash adjustment needed. It's a nice add-on for certain weddings — the more formal ones.

On the CheetahLight I have an older Quantum bug eye diffusor and a Norman Octabox. Both are 10 years old and I would buy again.

May 08, 2015 at 09:39 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flash Deffusers

OT - last year for Christmas I got all of my associates those little Adorama strap on speed "lights". Clever idea — a speedlight sized video light with a strap. Now you have an area light when you're setting up for sparklers in the dark, or other nocturnal pursuits. Light the way for subjects negotiating stairs and natural terrain.

Yes, it works with the MagMod mount. Awesome — it gets used at night all the time. Love it.

May 08, 2015 at 09:59 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flash Deffusers

Read: "On camera flash techniques for digital weddings" by Neil VanNiekerk. It changed my wedding work forever. And you don't need to buy any of that plastic junk for your flash.

May 08, 2015 at 10:43 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flash Deffusers

If someone could make a more durable and portable Rapidbox (and slightly smaller), I'd easily pay north of $200.

May 09, 2015 at 07:08 PM
Avantia

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flash Deffusers

I don't use any, but if I had to, for wedding work I'd pick the fstoppers flashdisc, which is the less silly looking, along with the flashbender.

May 10, 2015 at 09:15 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flash Deffusers

Avantia wrote:
I don't use any, but if I had to, for wedding work I'd pick the fstoppers flashdisc, which is the less silly looking, along with the flashbender.

I love Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Portable-Photography-Speedlight-Speedlite/dp/B00UIT28FI/ref=sr_1_2/181-4921023-3592132?ie=UTF8&qid=1431611204&sr=8-2&keywords=fstoppers+flash+disc

May 14, 2015 at 08:48 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Flash Deffusers

paparazzinick wrote:
I love Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Portable-Photography-Speedlight-Speedlite/dp/B00UIT28FI/ref=sr_1_2/181-4921023-3592132?ie=UTF8&qid=1431611204&sr=8-2&keywords=fstoppers+flash+disc

More expensive, but a better clone.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URHR3TW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TXS7THYEOL61

And the original
http://www.amazon.com/Fstoppers-Collapsible-Speedlights-Speedlite-Panasonica/dp/B00UW2OXUO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0F9XNAHQY06GXR680T6Q

May 14, 2015 at 09:23 AM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Flash Deffusers

I just use a homemade bounce thing made out of foam you get at a craft store. Glued white foam to black foam so it's white on the front and black on the back. Velcro it to my flash and it works great. Throws some light forward while bouncing up.
Don't laugh. It works.

May 14, 2015 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.