Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · New to this forum and Canon-now what lenses to buy.

RUATurtle
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to this forum and Canon-now what lenses to buy.

I don't know if introductions are appropriate but what the heck and I'll say hello and stop lurking on the Canon Forum. I feel really rotten not renewing my Nikonians membership but they don't welcome other brands. I've seen some say "wow" out loud bird shots with the 400mm f5.6L lens and mentioned to a friend that perhaps I "MIGHT" think about jumping ship and going to the big white lenses.

I've been shooting Nikon for about 40 years as a hobby shooter and have taught photography in high school and jr. college. I'm mainly a bird shooter who helps my wife ID birds .

Sold off all the Nikon gear and big glass and took a break from shooting for a few years when I "retired". (back full time now)

Getting ready to gear back up and an evil,rotten friend is making me a deal I cannot refuse on a nearly new Canon 7D MK 2.

I know I will get a 100-400mm or a 400mm f5.6 and thinking if a TC 1.4 will work on either of them?

Reading up on a "normal" and wide angle lens.

I't seems the 17-40mm might be a good affordable choice but I also see the 17-55mm f2.8 and I was planning on renting both of them for a week and doing my own testing.

I also need a wide angle to shoot interiors and researching that now. Any suggestions?

May 05, 2015 at 06:07 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to this forum and Canon-now what lenses to buy.

Welcome to FM and to Canon-land RUATurtle. The question you're most likely going to hear is "What do you shoot?" so then people feel more comfortable making suggestions. If you stay with a 1.6 cropper like the 7D2, the 17-55 f/2.8 is a really nice lens. Enjoy your new kit!
-Cam

May 05, 2015 at 06:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to this forum and Canon-now what lenses to buy.

Welcome to FM.

I use full frame cameras for wide angle stuff, so I'm not particularly up on wide EF-S lenses. The 10-22mm has a good rep, but you'll probably get lots of good info from EF-S users. You can get some valuable lens comparisons from the PhotoZone and The Digital Picture sites.

P.S. IMNTAturtle

May 05, 2015 at 06:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to this forum and Canon-now what lenses to buy.

The 1.4x Extender will work on the 7DII with both long lenses you mentioned.

May 05, 2015 at 06:20 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New to this forum and Canon-now what lenses to buy.

Welcome to the FM forums, RUATurtle. We are always glad when members introduce themselves. It helps us know them as people.

RUATurtle wrote:
I know I will get a 100-400mm or a 400mm f5.6 and thinking if a TC 1.4 will work on either of them?

Everyone says the new 100-400 Mark II is a wonderful lens and works extremely well with the Canon 1.4x Mark III Tele-extender. I have the original 100-400 and the 1.4x II and they are very good. I've photographed eagles and other birds with that combination. I would upgrade to the new Mark II and III respectively but I have funds earmarked for the new 5DS first, which you can think of as an expanded 7D2 (same pixel pitch).

The 100-400 gives you more versatility than the 400 f/5.6, and a smaller package in the bag.

RUATurtle wrote:
I't seems the 17-40mm might be a good affordable choice but I also see the 17-55mm f2.8 and I was planning on renting both of them for a week and doing my own testing.

I don't have the 17-40 or the 17-55 f/2.8 but based on a little testing with the 17-40 and the reviews of the 17-55, I would go for the latter without hesitation.

The 40 mm f/2.8 makes a highly affordable "normal" lens on a crop factor and is sharp with lovely 9-blade bokeh. It would be equivalent to 64 mm, a touch longer than the 58 mm Nikon you may have used. It is so compact you can throw it in a pocket as an extra lens when going walk-around, though it would be a bit superfluous if your walk-around is the 17-55 f/2.8.

RUATurtle wrote:
I also need a wide angle to shoot interiors and researching that now. Any suggestions?

I got a Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 lens specifically for interiors and architecture because it has very low barrel distortion (straight lines remain straight). It beats the vaunted Zeiss 21 mm (which has moustache distortion) and Nikon 14-24 and rivals or exceeds the Canon 16-35 f/2.8 Mark II and original. I haven't used TheDigitalPicture comparisons with the 16-35 f/4 or the 11-24, both of which came out after my purchase. I am very pleased with the Tokina as a less expensive cost-effective but not cheap alternative.

People love the Canon 11-24, the 17 mm TSE and the 24 mm TSE, but they are all more expensive. I have used the EF-S 10-22 on a crop factor camera (20D) and it is excellent and inexpensive.

Finally, let me answer your fundamental question, RUATurtle, and state that I am a monkey, not a turtle.

May 05, 2015 at 06:43 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New to this forum and Canon-now what lenses to buy.

The price for a new 7D MK II has been below 1200 from gray market sellers, don't pay more than that.

May 05, 2015 at 07:50 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New to this forum and Canon-now what lenses to buy.

Hi, I have shot the crops and think that you will be happy with the 100-400 M2. The 7D M2 seems a dreams body. I have the 60D and just recently moved to the 6D. I see UWA much of the time and used the 10-22 EFs. I have a most amazing copy. When I moved to the 6D I was in a quandary about UWA as my 10-22 was so sharp. I fell into a Tokina 16-28 f/2.8. I just missed a 10-18 EFs @-150USD. I hear great things about a very affordable, small, UWA lens. I am not one for TC but many of the guys in this area that are Canon shooter use them. Good luck and welcome.

J. R.

P.S. I found a great copy of the EFs 15-85.

May 05, 2015 at 08:14 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New to this forum and Canon-now what lenses to buy.

Welcome to FM!

I am a dragon not a turtle. But we aren’t so different. Both turtles and dragons hatch from eggs and neither are given nor require maternal care. But we do learn from observing our bale.

The 400mm f/5.6 was a staple for local birders around here for years. I have a copy but I also just picked up the new 100-400 version II zoom and I have to say I am really impressed by everything it offers. The new IS and auto-focus will not let you down. So I’d suggest the later at this point in time if I had to choose now. The 1.4 will work fine either way. But if you can find a deal on a used version I 300mm f/2.8 or 500mm f/4 prime that you can afford you would be in big white paradise. They are a dream to shoot!

The Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 gets great reviews. I have not used it because for zooms I stick with Canon. (I only do third party primes). I’ve used both version I and II of the 16-35 f/2.8 and the 17-40/4 and I much prefer working with the extra stop on the 2.8 models. So I would pick a version I or II f/2.8. But that’s probably just my shooting style and preference. I’m never tried the 17-55mm. But if you really want to try a couple of outstanding lenses take a look at the new 17 mm TS-E or the version II 24mm TS-E. Both are fully manual but yield stellar results. I'm also a big fan of the third party Zeiss or Leica wide angle primes on Canon. But that's a whole other topic. You'd be better off discussing those on the Alternative Gear Forum.

Normal is going to need to be wide on a 7d II. So maybe the 16 - 35 would be good enough for your normal lens as well? Canon may release a new 35 f/1.4 version II this fall. If so you might be able to pick up the older version I 35 f/1.4 for a song. That would give you a lens will a narrower depth of field.

I'm mostly considering lenses for full frame bodies above. Camera bodies come and go but glass I tend to keep long term. So I always prefer to buy glass that will work on a full frame body. But that's just me.

May 06, 2015 at 02:32 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New to this forum and Canon-now what lenses to buy.

Both the EF-S 10-22 and EF 17-40L are stellar lenses. I keep both and use them for different reasons, to get 16mm on my croppers; 40D and 7D, and the 17-40L when 28mm is all I require; the 17-40 is also used regularly on my 1.3X crop 1DMk2N.

With the 10-22 giving the FF equivalent of 16-35mm, it also gets me 35mm which is a fave FL.

Cheers,
Jerry

May 06, 2015 at 03:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.