New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Boom Arm

rongwam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Boom Arm

I need a good Boom arm that I will use with my Avenger C-stand for both studio portraiture and location photo shoots. Any recommendations? Thanks.

May 05, 2015 at 12:16 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Boom Arm

I have the Avenger D600CB Mini Boom and use it with the Avenger C stands just fine. It's just under 7 feet long, and usually you don't get a full 7 feet of extension since you need to balance it, unless you're using lightweight gear. It's good to 15lbs of load according to mfr.

Same build quality as the C stands.

May 05, 2015 at 02:16 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Boom Arm

rongwam wrote:
I need a good Boom arm that I will use with my Avenger C-stand for both studio portraiture and location photo shoots. Any recommendations? Thanks.

C stands are designed for modifiers, and do not have the footprint or load bearing to support a boom of any kind. If you just need a foot of clearance from the top-of-stand, then a short grip arm is safe enough:

Otherwise, you must budget for a much heavier rig to safely suspend a fixture at an interesting distance. The setup below is lofting a low-weight light/modifer combo of 6 lbs @ 7'. The steel junior roller (my small one) must support the light assembly (6 lbs), the Avenger D650 boom (15 lbs), and the counterweighting (30 lbs) for a total of 51 lbs. The stand itself weighs 25 lbs. C stands claim to support 25 lbs—but don't ask me to sit under a boom it's supporting!

Note the rig is perfectly balanced with no lateral stress on the stand. The counterweighting requirement for safe boom usage is a major part of the total mass on the stand. Outdoors and location demands more overspec'ing of your support due to wind, terrain and bumping incidents.

May 05, 2015 at 09:51 PM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Boom Arm

Thanks rico for your recommendations and picture illustrations.

May 06, 2015 at 07:48 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Boom Arm

rongwam -- One point that rico's post makes very effectively is that what you're going to dangle from the boom is more important than that it'll be used "for both studio portraiture and location." Portability is nice but load bearing, balance and safety are paramount.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

May 06, 2015 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.