New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

nathan_h

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

Did a quick search and appears no one has mentioned "Perar" lenses at all.

But I am curious, surely someone here must have shot with one?

I saw the 21mm just announced and it has some appeal to me, as a unobtrusive adapted lens on my A7.

But looking at the flickr photo group for the Perar 28mm lens, I fear that it verges a little too much into "toy" quality optics. I am misjudging Perar lenses?

May 05, 2015 at 11:55 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

nathan_h wrote:
Did a quick search and appears no one has mentioned "Perar" lenses at all.

But I am curious, surely someone here must have shot with one?

I saw the 21mm just announced and it has some appeal to me, as a unobtrusive adapted lens on my A7.

But looking at the flickr photo group for the Perar 28mm lens, I fear that it verges a little too much into "toy" quality optics. I am misjudging Perar lenses?

I don't think you misjudged these for being toy lenses. I was intrigued as well until I checked out some review on these. And to think about it, having a tiny, flat lens might seem appealing at first. But focusing and changing aperture on these must be a nightmare, not enough grip for anything. Lastly, a Leica camera might be able to handle the steep ray incident of the lens, but definitely not a regular Sony. Even legendary lens like the G 21, G 16 would become toy lenses on the Sony .

Edited on May 05, 2015 at 12:02 PM · View previous versions

May 05, 2015 at 12:02 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

Double-Post

May 05, 2015 at 12:02 PM
nathan_h

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

hiepphotog wrote:
I don't think you misjudged these for being toy lenses. I was intrigued as well until I checked out some review on these. And to think about it, having a tiny, flat lens might seem appealing at first. But focusing and changing aperture on these must be a nightmare, not enough grip for anything. Lastly, a Leica camera might be able to handle the steep ray incident of the lens, but definitely not a regular Sony. Even legendary lens like the G 21, G 16 would become toy lenses on the Sony .

Thanks for the input. That's what I feared.

I'm surprised a digital Leica could handle the steep ray incident of one of these tiny lenses, but maybe I misunderstand all the factors at play. But Voigtlander having to re-design their 15mm for digital Leica (apparently by making it longer in physical size) may have confused me.

May 05, 2015 at 01:07 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

I remember seeing someone post using the 28mm. I don't recall it being super fantastic. They're probably one of the flatest lenses you can put on the leica or a7

May 05, 2015 at 02:55 PM
nathan_h

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

yes, even flatter than i need so if there is an obvious optical compromise, that's not worth it.

the search continues...

May 05, 2015 at 03:37 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

I think the user uh-oh used the 28 on his a7. He frequents the a7 and leica threads.

May 05, 2015 at 03:57 PM
nathan_h

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

I'll do a search. Some reports say the 28mm from the same family works better on digital sensors than Minolta G-Rokkor 28mm F3.5 in terms of color shift. Color shift is not the only factor. Sharpness at the edges, vignetting, matter too.

May 05, 2015 at 05:00 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

That depends on what you're trying to achieve with it.

Here's a brief review with samples:

http://leicaliker.com/2012/03/27/my-first-impressions-ms-optical-perar-super-triplet-28mm-f4/

May 05, 2015 at 06:14 PM
nathan_h

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

Thanks for posting. Very interesting. Seems like a cool lens but perhaps not what I am looking for.

May 05, 2015 at 09:40 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

There are plenty of choices in the 20/21mm range. They're not as quirky but most are excellent performers.

Stay away from rangefinder lenses though. Most have too much vignetting on the A7, due to short back focus distance.

May 06, 2015 at 02:40 PM
nathan_h

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

I really like the Voigtlander 15mm version 3. Completely fine optics, for my standards. Little vignetting when wide open but PP can correct that.

I'll probably go with an Olympus model, if there is really nothing smaller. Was hoping something like this Perar might fit the situation.

May 06, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

I ordered the Lomo pancake Mirotar lens. I have plenty of 'perfect' lenses so this one will be to have some fun with and it should be sharper/as sharp as the Perars from the examples I've seen.
Ergos also look a lot better than the Perars.
I'll be using it mainly on film - using a Leica Mda - but will try it on the m240, mainly so the doods working at the local Leica Store will have an aneurysm when I walk in with it!
I have a Leitz 18 Asph that works perfectly on digital, but the reality is that tiny wideangle lenses have imaging issues on FF digital bodies. Which is why the V3 CV 15mm lens is much bigger than the previous ones.
I recently acquired a CV 21 f4 which is fantastic on film, but have yet to try it on the M240. I'll do that soon to see what happens.

May 06, 2015 at 03:14 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

Dpedraza wrote:
I remember seeing someone post using the 28mm. I don't recall it being super fantastic. They're probably one of the flatest lenses you can put on the leica or a7

The line is more of a bespoke lens-cap size novelty. Optics are ok; some better, some worse. The 21/24/28/35 are very simple triplet designs with a 19mm filter thread. You give up a lot for its size. The 50/1.1 is quite a quirky creature while the most interesting (to me at least) was the 50/3.5 (collapsible) Apoqulia, now long discontinued.

Desmolicious wrote:
I recently acquired a CV 21 f4 which is fantastic on film, but have yet to try it on the M240. I'll do that soon to see what happens.

You will likely be disappointed. Sorely.........unless you convert everything to B&W exclusively.

May 06, 2015 at 04:04 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

nathan_h wrote:
I really like the Voigtlander 15mm version 3. Completely fine optics, for my standards. Little vignetting when wide open but PP can correct that.

I'll probably go with an Olympus model, if there is really nothing smaller.

I looked at the Voigtlander 21mm colour Skopar because it is so small but ended up with the OM. I'm super happy with it, despite someone telling me it would be "unusable" on an A7R...

The only hassle with the OM is that prices appear to have skyrocketed over the past 6 months since I bought mine. I paid US $375 for a mint MC version but the last time I looked, a similar lens would cost about 75% more than that on eBay, which is ridiculous.

Still, if you're patient, you can probably get one for around US $400 but you may have to wait.

May 06, 2015 at 05:24 PM
nathan_h

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

I'm in no rush. I'll just kill time shooting stuff and PP-ing it

May 06, 2015 at 06:02 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

the OM 21 is smaller than the CV 21mm 1.8 which I read works well on the a7 series

May 06, 2015 at 06:12 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

The only disadvantage to the OM that I can find is a bit of moustache distortion which you wouldn't notice and really only appears as the focus gets closer in subjects which have a lot of straight lines. If you stacked all 20 and 21mm lenses up together and did a brick wall test, you'd probably find they all have it. In a landscape you won't even see it, much less be able to compare it to other lenses.

Predictably, for a lens of this focal length, the contrast is reasonably high but not as high as a lot of others. It is certainly not out of control.

The OM has less vignetting than a lot of other lenses in its class but it is still present and we are talking of about 1-1.5 stops wide open. It improves to about .5 stops by f/8, which is where I usually shoot it. There is little or no purple fringing but there is edge CA in the corners and noticeable highlight smearing. But in virtually all respects, the OM 21mm f/3.5 is as good as or better than other lenses in this class (f/3.5 - f/4.5).

Sorry to go AWOL on the topic.

May 06, 2015 at 06:44 PM
nathan_h

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

Dpedraza wrote:
the OM 21 is smaller than the CV 21mm 1.8 which I read works well on the a7 series

The size difference doesn't surprise me given the speed difference between the lenses. Even with the adapter for the OM lens, it's about 30% less large and weights significantly less than the CV.

Since I'll be shooting with it outdoors, during the day, and lugging it on long hikes, I'm willing to sacrifice some speed for smaller and lighter kit.

May 06, 2015 at 07:28 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Perar 21mm f/4.5 or others for Leica M...adapted

The same guy makes this:

Sonne by unoh7, on Flickr

190 gram 50/1.1 Sonnar in M mount for about 1060USD

May 06, 2015 at 11:07 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.