FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · First Post - Acadia National Park Maine

Brian Woolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Post - Acadia National Park Maine

This is my first post here, on Fred Miranda. I have been visiting this site for years,
enjoying the great images. Usually at lunch, I would visit about three photography
sites, to keep up with the current state of photography but this site had the best
images, especially the landscape forum.
I consider myself a traditional landscape photographer but will do other genres as
they present themselves. In other words I will photograph almost anything, as I do
like to take photographs. I am retired so I finally have the time that I need to pursue
my personal work.
I am looking forward to comments and criticism, as some of the images that I will
present might be quieter or denser or subtler than usual. I will be interested if they
are successful as good images or where they fail.
I spent 17 days camping out in and around Acadia National Park, in the fall of
2014, trying to catch the fall foliage. I was about a week early, but the whole trip
was a learning experience for me. I had hoped to spend 20 days camping but just
ran out of gas. Funny thing, when I got back and looked at my images, I was rather
disappointed with them. It took me about three months to come to terms with them
and I now find that I am satisfied with the images and that all the time and effort was worth it.

Jordan Pond iconic image

Mt Desert Narrows

May 05, 2015 at 09:59 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Post - Acadia National Park Maine

Hi Brian! Welcome to FM! You started out with some fine images here!

#1 I really like those puffy clouds and blue sky you captured. Your comp. looks pretty good to my eyes. If you would have used a CPL I think you could have captured a little more details in the foreground water. But other than that it looks great! Nice natural colors and not over cooked.

#2 This one looks a little flat to my eyes. If you're shooting RAW I think you could pull some more drama and colors out of this one. Again, a CPL might have helped on the water and sky.

#1 Is my pick out of these images.

May 05, 2015 at 10:41 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Post - Acadia National Park Maine

I think these are both nice images. We don't have enough East Coast stuff here. It's good to see.

We all depend on the light we are given. In #2 it seems more cloudy, so you will get a flatter more diffused light like you see. As Lighthound notes, you can bring a little back in post to accentuate the light you have. Although not dramatic for pure landscape photography, it is easy for people to look towards the sun which reduces facial shadows for great outdoor portraits. I love these days on family vacations as I can get nice 'family-scapes'.

I like that the clouds are not blown and in #1 the brightness is even from top to bottom. There is a soft light on the rocks and mountains that brings out the details well.

I always forget to pull out my 6 stop ND filter on days when the water is a little wavy. It would be interesting to see what #1 would look like with a longer exposure.

Nice job.

David

Edited on May 05, 2015 at 12:56 PM · View previous versions

May 05, 2015 at 12:49 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Post - Acadia National Park Maine

Hey Brian,

It's great to see you posting. 20 days camping is a long time, it's easy to run out of gas on a trip that long, especially if it's in one location. And I have had a few times where when I got back, the images on my camera didn't match the emotions I had built up in my heart. Sometimes that just happens, and I have had to do like you, and just let those images sit a while and get back to them later.

#1 is my favorite here, you did a nice job with the midday scene. And as mentioned #2, could use a little more pop. It feels flat, so get out the contrast adjustment and add some contrast. There is plenty of open sky between the clouds, so the overall scene should be brighter. So brighten it a little and add a little contrast and that will also be a nice midday scene.

Jim

May 05, 2015 at 12:55 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Post - Acadia National Park Maine

Thank you for the welcome and the comments.
I am new here and not quite sure what I am doing in posting - wanted to put more info under each image, couldn't figure out how to do it.
as far as using a CPl (circular polarizer), I used to use one a lot when I shot film. I had a great Nikon polarizer for about 30 years, loaned to another photographer for two hours and he broke it. Bought a new Nikon Polarizer and it just was not as good polarizing as the broken. I carry a SinghRay warming polarizer around as part of my kit but every time I try to use it, the benefit is so small, I put it away.

Here is what I wasn't able to put in.
Jordan Pond Iconic View - photographed this view about 6 to 9 times under varying light and this was the best I could do, late afternoon light, nice enough sky, so fairly pleased with this image.
Mt Desert Narrows - this is more what Maine feels like to me, with overcast light and a little drama in the clouds, late afternoon as well.

I am trying to produce accurate representations of the scenes that I photograph. I love soft overcast light. I am trying for quiet and beautiful images that don't scream out at you but rather have an understated presence that needs some discovery.

Concerning the comments that #2 is a bit to flat, it is supposed to be that way not sure that more contrast will do anything but will give it a look.
Thanks, Brian

May 05, 2015 at 01:37 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Post - Acadia National Park Maine

Nice pics!

May 05, 2015 at 07:09 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.