Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lens has become unsharp, has bad glare (70-200 2.8L IS)

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens has become unsharp, has bad glare (70-200 2.8L IS)

My 70-200 has been with me for quite a while, but in the last year or so it seems to be getting worse. I mostly shoot with a 35L and 85L, so for a while I wondered if it was just not up to par anymore.

I don't have sample images uploaded, but I can quite easily describe the problem:

- Focus rarely is that sharp, stopping down helps only slightly

- Occasionally get a ghosting OOF effect, like it's slightly backfocused or frontfocused, even though it's not

- REAAAALLY bad haze/glare anytime I'm shooting even remotely toward a light source. There was a bright (albeit north-facing) window above the couple at a wedding recently, and all of my images of the ceremony are incredibly low contrast

Is this something that happens if the lens gets bumped too many times, or is there dust in the lens perhaps? The glare especially is driving me nuts.

Side note: I use CPS, but have had really poor luck with them (a few times they returned lenses unchanged)

May 04, 2015 at 11:57 PM
scott_scheetz
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens has become unsharp, has bad glare (70-200 2.8L IS)

Sounds like a lens element or 2 are out of place. I'd give CPS another shot. I've had great results with them when it comes to lens repair. I sent in my 24-70mm 2.8L when it had sharpness problems on one side and the fixed it right up. Also fixed my 35L when the focusing assembly jammed and failed. It came back sharper than when I bought it.

May 05, 2015 at 12:15 AM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens has become unsharp, has bad glare (70-200 2.8L IS)

Is there a CPS location that's generally considered to be best?

May 05, 2015 at 12:17 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens has become unsharp, has bad glare (70-200 2.8L IS)

You're about half way. I've had generally great service from the folks in Irvine - now Costa Mesa. Just make sure you send them sample that document your issues in a way that there's nothing ambiguous.

May 05, 2015 at 01:33 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens has become unsharp, has bad glare (70-200 2.8L IS)

It doesn't have fungus does it? Take it outside and look through the lens from the top and move your head around and see if you can see any filaments or hazing? Your symptoms sound like my old Tamron 28-75 that got fungus.

May 05, 2015 at 01:41 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens has become unsharp, has bad glare (70-200 2.8L IS)

Did you try cleaning front element and rear element ?

May 05, 2015 at 09:29 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens has become unsharp, has bad glare (70-200 2.8L IS)

Obviously something is seriously wrong with the optics--I'm going to guess an internal lens element or two has come loose.

May 05, 2015 at 04:34 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens has become unsharp, has bad glare (70-200 2.8L IS)

Yes, best check the lens for inside haze / fungus / much dust (a real dust floor, not only 30 pixes of dust). But donīt look into the sun with it.
I think this lens has sometimes delamination or oil drops near / in the front lens.

In case you use a filter, screw it off and test again.

Otherwise it is likely that the lens is mechnicaly damanged, I think it is possible that the bearings for focus and zoom are worn out, and the lenses are no longer where they should, or the housing is broken or bend.

May 06, 2015 at 05:41 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.